Satelliteguys.us First Look, Digital Transition Conversion Boxes.

I still NEED that tuner to be able to view OTA on my TV once the change happens, I just would like to get some additional features.

Are there going to be any of these boxes that have HD outputs?

These boxes will provide this "tuner" that you "NEED" just fine and you can use the coupon to pay for (most of) them. You will NOT have HD resolutions though but a down-rezzed picture is better than nothing, right ? :D

The guide may take a while to come in.. my tv has the same issue when the antenna is hooked up directly to it.. in analog the guide use to come in from pbs.. I think now it may come from each channel.. it's slow to fill though..

I've never understood how boxes did otherwise. The guide data comes from the PSIP stream and only comes from the channel itself. If you're tuned to channel "5", how can it get PSIP data for channel "8" ?

It has generally been the local PBS affiliate that distributed guide data for the rest of the channels.

Those who want a fully HD box will eventually reap the benefits of the DTV Coupon program.

The widespread use and avaiability of the tuner chips will easily make available full HD 720p, 180i and 180p tuners in the same configuration as threse CEB boxes.

We'll just have to wait until the DTV coupon program is over, and when the manufacturers ramp up for the QAM tuner demand in 2012, when cable abandons analog.[

I recall the demand for UHF adapters and cable boxes in the late 1960's. Just a few years after that, all TV's came with UHF tuners and came cable ready.

Thanx for the reviews.

The Insignia looks pretty good, but I have sworn off the Best Buy house brand products after getting screwed on one of their LCD TVs. It has a bad power supply or something.

Best Buy stinks.

To my surprise, NOT ALL Best Buy store branded products are bad.

I recently acquired a 15 inch LCD HDTV from them for the sale price of $199.99. It is probably the best and least expensive 15 inch LCD HDTV out there. Reviewers on both the Best Buy site and independent reviews give it excellent reviews. And, when others are offering a 90 day labor 1 yr parts warranty, Best Buy gives a 1 yr. 1 yr. warranty.
Further, ue to its low price, the 4 year extended warranty was only $24.99. I almost NEVER buy extended warranties. But I bought this one. The advantage is that Best Buy is a bricks and motar store and service center, and they cannot say take it back to the manufacturer for service. For an inexpensive item like this, they would just give you a NEW one.

The 19 inch model, on sale this week for $249.99 is about as good as the one I bought.

One other item I'd buy from them is a portable DVD player for under $99.99. Almost all of these have only a 90 day warranty. A two year warranty for them is only $29.99. In this case, especially with kids, the extended warranty would be well worth it.

Looks like from the GUI of the Insignia, it seems they are using LG software. My grandma uses an LG HDTV tuner and the fonts are EXACT. That reveals what Insignia is using. Looking forward to seeing improvements from other companies.

The Insignia box (and an identical converter from Zenith that is currently available at Radio Shack and Circuit City) is an LG product.

Some are experiencing audio issues with this particular converter, both Insignia and Zenith versions (which, again, are supposed be identical, except for the name on the outside), so that may be something to keep in mind, in spite of its apparent overall polish. At least one reviewer at the Best Buy site complained of such issues, and more early adopters are complaining of something similar. More can be found by scrolling down this thread a bit:

LG's Zenith-branded DTT900 Digital to Analog Converter Box - Page 17 - AVS Forum

Last edited:
Great review Bob and I haven't gotten my coupons yet either.

Since these won't do HD, has anyone got any recommendations for those that will?

You'll have to bite the bullet and shell out some cash on Ebay for an HD tuner. No coupon deals. They are few and far between due to the increased availability of TVs with ATSC tuners. Back in the day, they we're a bit more popular. Hopefully popularity will rise again soon. Snoop around on Ebay for HD receivers with what you need.

The Echostar TR-50 (coming in July) SHOULD have what you are looking for in a box. If I'm not mistaken, it is a step-up from the coupon eligibility but WELL WORTH the wait. I'm hoping to get one for the DVR capabilities.

Many will buy these converters and need them forever, others will give em up once they finally decide to get an HDTV with a built-in tuner.

Just got my coupons. I wish I had known that they will expire in June before I ordered them. I now have to hope a decent unit with S-video output becomes available before my coupons expire.

Got my coupons yesterday and picked up the Insignia converter box at Best Buy. Have satellite but will need back up when the Minnesota thunderstorms start up again soon. Nice unit and the picture quality is excellent on SD TV's. I think most people who rely on OTA will be surprised how much better the digital signals are and how many more channels they will receive. Keep the reviews coming, hopefully an even better box will come out before it expires.

What a waste of a digital tuner. I wonder if you return the box if you can get store credit at Best buy or something.
The whole purpose of this coupon program is to keep Granny from having to buy a new TV, just because the government wanted to change the broadcast format. It's not to give HD to the masses.

What a waste of a digital tuner. I wonder if you return the box if you can get store credit at Best buy or something.

You can return it and get back what YOu pasi but not the value of the coupon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts