Status
Please reply by conversation.

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
Just talked to a good friend of mine - - - he got up on the roof to clean off his dish during the first big snow storm in Virginia. He slipped and fell all the way to the sidewalk which he had just shoveled and broke his arm and cracked three ribs.

Problem was he has a long driveway and was not dug out yet. Spent the rest of the day trying to dig out with a broken arm (I don't know how you do that).

He finally made it to the hospital and none of the ortho doctors were in because of the snow storm.

Now he was laughing about it but he said the cracked ribs were the worst part of the whole thing.

Be careful out there!!! :eek:

Sorry to hear about your friend. Not easy to laugh with cracked ribs! Been there
and done that. My Dish Net dishes are on the low edge of my roof. I swipe the
wifes extendable ceiling duster and can reach them from the ground. Hope your
friend heals fast.

moral of the story:

Don't do the driveway 'n sidewalk, 'till after you fall off the roof....er, clean the dishes on the roof.
That way, you'll have a softer place to land. - :rolleyes:

Also, I never leave the house without my cell phone in my pocket.
Good for calling for help...

We don't have much snow up here at all this year, but 2 years ago, we had a LOT of snow, and there was a story on the local news about some fellow who had gone to his ex-wife's house (I assume it used to be his, and she wasn't home), to shovel the snow off the roof, so that the roof wouldn't collapse. Well, the snow slid down the roof (a couple feet of snow on a metal roof, comes off like an avalanche), and took him with it. He landed in an 8' deep snow drift, head first. Apparently, he was completely buried, except for his feet sticking out of the snow drift. Somehow the guy managed to reach his cell phone, and call for help. When help arrived, all that was visible were the guys feet sticking up out of the snow.
He was lucky that the cell phone worked. They don't work most places up here.

Just talked to a good friend of mine - - - he got up on the roof to clean off his dish during the first big snow storm in Virginia. He slipped and fell all the way to the sidewalk which he had just shoveled and broke his arm and cracked three ribs.

Problem was he has a long driveway and was not dug out yet. Spent the rest of the day trying to dig out with a broken arm (I don't know how you do that).

He finally made it to the hospital and none of the ortho doctors were in because of the snow storm.

Now he was laughing about it but he said the cracked ribs were the worst part of the whole thing.

Be careful out there!!! :eek:

That's a bummer. Maybe he should invest in a de-icing unit (Skyvision Satellite Equipment) It'll cost a few bucks for one but it's better to pay for one of those than fixing broken bones (not to mention the pain and suffering).

That's why I won't install a dish on the roof. That and I'm afraid of heights. Bad enough using a ladder, so I discovered.
I'm not afraid of heights and gladly installed an OTA antenna on the rood, but there no reason to place the dish on the roof unless there are line-of-sight issues...that's why I had V* and E* install the dish on the side of the house (they wanted to place them on the roof); and installed my StarChoice dish on the side of the deck. Although we have FiOS at our home in TX, the house was pre-wired for satellite...yes, four coax runs and a gounding wire in the attic - 30 feet up. Completely silly since I have clear line-of-sight from the either the side or top of a single story side garage.

both my dishes are on the roof, I have to be very very careful when im up there, and when im working on my 10 footer I only make adjustments when the dish is @ 137 to avoid any accidents

I climbed up on my roof to shovel it today. Sure around the dishes were fine but I wanted to clear more :)

Made sure I didnt fall. And when I got done since there was ice on the roof I did what I do best...plopped on my butt about 10 feet up the roof and SLOWLY went down the roof to get to the ladder :)

you dont have snow or ice to deal with :p

:D that's true, but still there are many obstacles like a gas deposit, a solar panel water heater and a narrow roof

2ijjczb.jpg

I still gotta be careful!

Sorry to hear about your friend. I wish him quick recovery,

I know a guy who fill of a ladder while he was trying to setup his Christmas lights on the gutters of his house in 2008. He broke his Femur (thigh bone) and spent months in the hospital in the ICU unit and recovery.

It is very dangerous to be climbing up on roofs and ladders if you don't have proper safety procedures followed.

I would always recommend people install their dish on the side wall as within reach from the ground. It is safer and easier to reach if you need to adjust the dish.

John, not to change the subject, but looking to the left in the background of your picture, is one of your neighbors hanging blankets/throws out to dry on a defunct C-Band dish? That's just wrong... ;)

no extreme weather or substantial seasonal changes down here, no need for them :p

thanks alot... :(

I am trying to feel good about this cold weather up here! One great thing is how the bugs are gone because of the cold! You are not helping!!! :rolleyes: lol

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts