Satellites other than Galaxy 19

jessica6

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Tucson, AZ
I've been getting Galaxy 19 with relative ease, even after moving my dish around. I currently have it on a tripod I made, since I'm not ready to mount it to my roof yet.
Yesterday I was experimenting with other satellites: SES 3, AMC 12, and Galaxy 13 / Horizons 1.
I spent quite a bit of time on them, but could never get any signal whatsoever. Are these weaker signals and harder to find? I seem to be able to find Galaxy 19 easily, but these other 3 I can not get anything.

Thanks!

Not generally, no. You should be able to tune 87, 89, 91, 95, 99, 101, 103, 105, 113 and possibly others. Just takes a lot of patience and learning :)
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll keep trying. Also, how important is the LNB orientation when scanning? When I had Galaxy 19 up, I tried rotating the LNB a bit both directions and moving it a bit, and it didn't seem to affect my signal much unless I moved it WAY out.

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll keep trying. Also, how important is the LNB orientation when scanning? When I had Galaxy 19 up, I tried rotating the LNB a bit both directions and moving it a bit, and it didn't seem to affect my signal much unless I moved it WAY out.

If you're not using a motor, you'll have to skew the LNB for each satellite except your southernmost satellite.

Last edited:
Reactions: jessica6 and FTA4PA
Just remember that the signal coming from the satellite, is like the width of a PENCIL LEAD for purposes of aiming your dish. IF you make large movements, you can miss the signal every time. Make a pencil mark on the pole where your dish is mounted, across from the dish mount to the pole, and make it thin.

As you twist the dish, you can see just how far you really moved each time by looking at that line. Don't forget as you move from east to west, etc. you MUST raise or lower your dish depending on which way you are following the arc. TRUE SOUTH is your highest dish aim point. Either East or West from there you have to slightly lower the dish for each satellite you aim at, the Earth is basically "round" and the satellites follow that above the equator, satellite "arc". You also must manually skew your lnb depending on your location and the particular satellite you are trying to get.

Do you recommend any particular app for finding the satellites? I've been using one called SatFinder from artemkaxboy.

Do you recommend any particular app for finding the satellites? I've been using one called SatFinder from artemkaxboy.

Look at your property and the exact place your dish is mounted with this app. Observe landmark things on your property to match up with the aim for any particular sat from your dish...

I have several transponders defined on each satellite. Is that valid?
Here are the best (strongest) transponders to check for satellites nearest Galaxy 19:

103W: 12145 V 20000 (Japan)

99W: 11800 H 30000

95W: 11780 H 20760 (China)

91W: 11913 V 2000 (radio stations)

89W: 12195 H 2800 (colour bars)

87W:
11795 V 5000 (data only but strongest signal; easy to find)
11800 H 2686 (Patient ch)

Galaxy 13 H1, not sure if there are any Ku channels on that one. Just doing a scan now..
NASA channels on that bird but on C-band not Ku.

edit: Lots of transponders, all ACM so not likely any FTA on that bird
Also what position is AMC12? It's likely been re-named, don't seem to remember that name.

1638746076563.png

• Wow
Reactions: fireball517
I loaded that app and it's similar to dishpointer.com since it shows the exact azimuth to a given satellite on a map of your own property. I find using a neighbour's house roof is a good reference since it is big and usually shows up well in the apps.

Reactions: jessica6
To give you and idea of how skew works. Get a long broomstick and put it front of you looking due south. Put one end in the ground and tilt the top back towards you whatever your latitude is at arms length. Now put your palm flat on top of the stick.Hold your arm straight out and move it left and right while keeping your palm at a right angle to the stick. That's skew.
Fine tuning dish skew comes after you peak signal then twist the dish skew angle to balance peaking on a left and right polarized transponder.
As always, kinda' sorta'.

Reactions: jessica6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)