SatGuys Exclusive: Dish Network answers some VOOM questions

John W

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Planet Earth
From what I understand the a lot of the content on Voom is just up converted SD. I see a heck of a lot of bitching on this and other forums about the current stations that E* has that is upconverted. In reality there is not a heck of a lot of true HD content out there that we don't already have. I do have OTA locals and that is where I get most of my HD content but I don't really think Charlie is too far off base when he gives his "compelling content" statements. He is sorta in a catch 22

DucTape

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Jan 20, 2005
South Eastern PA.
Who you going with ???? Huh,Huh LMAO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The largest number of posts I see in all the DBS forums is folks saying to themselves how much better it will be when I go with xxx company for my programing and how much this company stinks and that one is sooo much better and has it over that one and this ones future plans are superior to that ones. LMAO

I have been with all of them in my time and I can say for myself they are all suffering and will continue to in the upcoming years, dont matter who your with, what quality you have now in pic. or equip. or svc. In time we will see less and less of everything and more and more in crap and price increases from all of them, thats the real future plan of all the"TV" service providers.
If your somewhat happy with what you have now then by all means stick with it, if your not move around if you wish, don't matter much as you will be trading problems and gripes for the same in time. Everybody is complaining about mpeg4 this and that and dvr this and that, it will all come in time and go as well and years from now mpeg4, blueray and 250g drives will be old news but we will still be watching tv, so relax and enjoy.

Just reposted cause me thinks it is relevant.
What a coincident, just like that chit appens eh. ;)

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
BFG said:
This is pretty funny, but just like dish :)

Oh, we bough this sat for $200 mil but uh we umm don't know what we're gonna use it for :D

I think they know EXACTLY what they are gonna do. Unfortunately, they just don't want to SHARE that little nugget of info with us yet to our endless frustration.

What it DID do was cast enough uncertainty into the market to slow down some of the E* subs who were looking to bail to D* or cable out of frustration with the lack of new channels. Now they might wait to see what E* plans on doing with the spectrum. In the meantime, we have 6 months to a year to wait for the FCC to approve the deal (which will be in chaos itself for a spell with Powell resigning). The swiftness of changing information is about to grind to a halt until the deal is approved or not. In the meantime look for E* to have their plans ready to be implemented as soon as the deal is blessed by the feds.

What they need to do now is communicate what their intentions are to the subscribers who are demoralized by the lack of progress being made in the transition to HD, the near term obsolescence of all of their Mpeg 2 hardware (including their two "big" CES announcements which haven't even been released yet), and the continued ineptitude of their programmers shown by their inability to release a stable PVR receiver (HD or otherwise).

rocatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 28, 2003
The FCC recently has made significant efforts to streamline their decision making processes and this is one of the few things that Michael Powell deserves some credit for during his time at the FCC. I do not think the decision on the sale of the DBS frequency licenses from Voom to Dish will take more than a month or two, certainly it will occur prior to Powell leaving the FCC sometime in March. This is not a question about technology but about competition.

ocnier

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jun 28, 2004
Grapevine, TX
mdonnelly said:
Oh yeah, Charlie is dumb alright. $200M, with no risk, bought him a satellite that's already operating, a slew of frequencies and spot beams, and a brand new groundlink station, and D* is left with their satellites on the drawing board.

Everybody that said E* was lagging behind in capacity is now saying "What just happened?" I think Charlie suckered D* into committing to the new launches, forcing a D* rate increase. We may find a D* customer backlash flocking to E*, which is likely to have expanded content much sooner.

Everyone that dropped E* for D* promises of future capacity might want to rethink their decision. This really has been an interesting couple of days.

Not really, we still have yet to see E* make a damn HD PVR that works right :smug. So I wouldn't hold my breath about anybody flocking suddenly to E* (especially considering their track record... )

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 2, 2003
Your right,

I left E* for D* for more promised HD, all I ended up with is a HD Tivo that works better than the 921, but has a super slow guide. No extra HD content.

My contract is up in March, Im looking hard at E* again.

DishSatUser

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
Secretly, I think CableVision had a different plan.....

CableVision hancho: How can we advertise that our local Cable HD packages are stomping Sat companies out of business?

Speculator to be future Voom head: How about launching a service for HD only that doesn't have a chance to survive and then later state how the Cable service caused a competitor to fail!

Hancho: Hahahhhahaha, that's right people will remember that a Sat company failed, not a Cablevision spinoff.

That's right folks, Cable competition has succesfully slain one of the Sat providers.

psycaz

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 8, 2003
Ferndale, MI
I don't think will show it's hand until after the FCC approves the deal unless the FCC makes them present a plan for the assests.
Why give out any ammo to get the deal squashed.
Dish almost gets it cake and acan eat it too with this deal.
You wipe out competition who had you over a barrel with HD - not counting what D plans to do later this year.
You get a sat AND uplink center for $200 million which seems to be considered a deal for either ONE - they got both. As others have said, the sat is live a kicking with startup bugs and risks removed.

Only real question is why Cablevision didn't proract the negotiations and bring in D to drive the price up?

I think they didn't want ole Rupert to get it to keep the sat playing field a little more level. Cable has an easier time if Rupert has more people to watch and can't use his huge media empire totally against them.
Just my humble and probably wrong opinion.

fredfa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 12, 2004
Los Angeles CA
As a note:
Just because the FCC might takes months to approve the Dish acquisition of the satellite, that in no way requires Cablevision to keep supplying programming to that satellite.
Radio (and TV) stations have gone off the air for financial reasons and someone else later buys the facility (and license) and after passing the application process, goes back on the air.
Contrary to what some/many here seem to believe (or, understandably, hope) there is no federal requirement forcing Cablevision to lose a dime more than it already has.

JimDB

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Supporting Founder
Nov 29, 2004
MA
Here is what I would do if I was E*. I would move east cost spot beams off of 110W to Rainbow1 (61.5W) then put HD on the now free 110W TPs.

More HD for Dish :D

Jim

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I was talking about this exclusive with Satelliteguys and E* on what their plans were for Rainbow-1. No where did SkyChat report this. Check again before you post something stupid.

BFG

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2004
Orlando
They can move the bird. But the one thing folks have asked me that I'm not sure about is wether the spot beam is only configured to work at 61.5 or can the spot beams be reconfigured?

JimDB

Supporting Founder
Nov 29, 2004
MA
Neutron said:
I was talking about this exclusive with Satelliteguys and E* on what their plans were for Rainbow-1. No where did SkyChat report this. Check again before you post something stupid.

If this was for me I'm gone

Thanks for the Welcome

Jim

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Excuse me, but I have been pretty nice overall to everyone. It's the crap like what's being said over at SkyChat about me and about Satelliteguys that has me peeved. How would you like it if someone publicly criticised you on another forum when you didn't even do anything in the first place? I didn't start this, SkyChat did.

I'm done arguing about this. Back to the topic at hand.

I think the spot beam capability on Rainbow-1 should work no matter what orbital location it's in.

ocnier

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jun 28, 2004
Grapevine, TX
ScottChez said:
Your right,

I left E* for D* for more promised HD, all I ended up with is a HD Tivo that works better than the 921, but has a super slow guide. No extra HD content.

My contract is up in March, Im looking hard at E* again.

You will be waiting a while, because the nearest thing dish will have will the 2wire box comparable to the HR 250, however, that won't happen for at least a year.

JimDB

Supporting Founder
Nov 29, 2004
MA
Neutron said:
Excuse me, but I have been pretty nice overall to everyone. It's the crap like what's being said over at SkyChat about me and about Satelliteguys that has me peeved. How would you like it if someone publicly criticised you on another forum when you didn't even do anything in the first place? I didn't start this, SkyChat did.

I'm done arguing about this. Back to the topic on hand.

I think the spot beam capability on Rainbow-1 should work no matter what orbital location it's in.

Jason
You are doing to me what you said you are peeved about.
I would like to know where did I post anything about Skychat?
I never heard of them nor did I ever post anything about you or this site anywhere.
You have the wrong person.
I don’t like the Welcome you have given me.

Now back to the subject at hand.

Jim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)