sathero satellite meter

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Your wrong and if you would have gone to their web page you would have seen that it can detect other signals.

The FS1 is made for MPEG2 signals but has the ability to detect other signals. See the chart below.

• MPEG2 SD Signal / Quality / Lock
  • MPEG2 HD Signal / Quality / Lock
  • MPEG4 SD Signal / Quality
  • MPEG4 HD Signal / Quality
  • Digicipher Signal / Quality
  • Digicipher 8psk Signal / Quality

MPEG2 and MPEG4 SD and HD's are not digital formats. They are video compression within the digital signal.

I don't have a FS-1, but I can confirm the sathero can lock onto signals of QPSK, 8PSK, 16APSK, 32APSK modulations and of various FECs (DVB-S standard FEC type, DVB-S2 stardard FEC type, and some of the other custom/proprietary FECs out there as I"m locking onto many signals that aren't DVB-S/S2 or digicipher or dss format).

Correct the FS-1 will not decode dvb-s2 signals. This is what killed it for me, I was going to buy one and then seen that it would not. The FS2 was too far out yet and I didn't want to wait. So I looked around and found the Sathero. I did some research and read some reviews and bit the bullet. Still thinking about an FS2 though when they come out. Really don't need it haha, but they look pretty and the FS1 is a great meter. However the Sathero is all one would need if money is tight.

Correct the FS-1 will not decode dvb-s2 signals. This is what killed it for me, I was going to buy one and then seen that it would not. The FS2 was too far out yet and I didn't want to wait. So I looked around and found the Sathero. I did some research and read some reviews and bit the bullet. Still thinking about an FS2 though when they come out. Really don't need it haha, but they look pretty and the FS1 is a great meter. However the Sathero is all one would need if money is tight.

That is correct that the FS1 can't get a lock on that type signal but it will show a signal and quality reading if I was needing it for a given a satellite, but to me that's not a big deal as all I do is look for the satellite I want and get a lock with the MPEG2 signal and I will tune for max and then I'll let my receiver decode the needed channels that are MEPG4 DVB S2, hasn't failed me yet. The main reason I got the FS1 was I like the display and size of the FS1 and best of all that I have the option to enter the information manually. I even talk to sales people at First Strike and they still can't give a release date let alone the price of any of the models that are being listed on their web page.

My personal opinion is that after doing research, it is uncontested: The Sathero has more capabilities, is less expensive, smaller; therefore, more practical for a ku band, in the price range of the two: First Strike, and Sathero. Admittedly, the First Strike has a very catchy name, F I R S T S T R I K E ! ! ! And, it is somewhat prettier to look at! For the money, Sathero is the best bang for the buck! Allow me to say, I certainly did not reveal my research to offend anyone.

Finally, I got quality! Finally, everone, [my wife, and friend] suggested I call my professional installer to help. He brought his super buddy, and a oscillating scope meter. Nothing he had provided a signal [Super Buddy]. He suggested I put the meter on that I advised did get a signal on my most south satellite, i.e., 89.0W Galaxy 28. It began chirping almost immediately. Then, he worked for a long time attempting to get the Super Buddy to keep up with my Sathero 200. He had another expensive meter, the one that had the oscillating feature. Finally, he was able to get the scope to spike to indicate it found a frequency. Then, I suggested that we put the Sathero 200 back on. And, again, it found the satellite quickly. So, we went inside, and he suggested that I propably had to correct some of the settings. I had it set as the one on mine. He had installed the one for me, and the one for my friend several years ago. After I changed the setting from Diseqc LNB 1.1 to LNB 2, and then LNB 3, B I N G O ! ! ! The quality came up from nothing to approximately 72. It was simply in the settings! Thanks for all the help! I will need to study the mechanics of the Diseqc switch with my motorized system, and the Invacom QPH-031 LNB. The Sathero 200 shines!

best of all that I have the option to enter the information manually.

You can on the Sathero also. I program mine as needed with my computer, but most of the time I just punch in a new freq. on the fly at the dish if I need too. It only takes a few seconds. I've not even hooked it up to the computer in awhile. :)

Finally, I got quality! Finally, everone, [my wife, and friend] suggested I call my professional installer to help. He brought his super buddy, and a oscillating scope meter. Nothing he had provided a signal [Super Buddy]. He suggested I put the meter on that I advised did get a signal on my most south satellite, i.e., 89.0W Galaxy 28. It began chirping almost immediately. Then, he worked for a long time attempting to get the Super Buddy to keep up with my Sathero 200. He had another expensive meter, the one that had the oscillating feature. Finally, he was able to get the scope to spike to indicate it found a frequency. Then, I suggested that we put the Sathero 200 back on. And, again, it found the satellite quickly. So, we went inside, and he suggested that I propably had to correct some of the settings. I had it set as the one on mine. He had installed the one for me, and the one for my friend several years ago. After I changed the setting from Diseqc LNB 1.1 to LNB 2, and then LNB 3, B I N G O ! ! ! The quality came up from nothing to approximately 72. It was simply in the settings! Thanks for all the help! I will need to study the mechanics of the Diseqc switch with my motorized system, and the Invacom QPH-031 LNB. The Sathero 200 shines!

Glad to hear your sathero is working well for you. As far as the Super Buddy goes, it would work also just fine, if ya got one. My guess is your buddy just wasn't familiar enough with his or with FTA set-ups. ;) Like when I first tried my birdog it would not lock so easy either. It was all programmed up for Dish, Directv, Hughesnet, etc. I went in and added a few Frequencies and settings for FTA, and it works great too.

ke4est,
My problem all the time was my settings. The Diseqc switch had to be set correctly. I had quality at the pole with the meter. Had I practised more patience in front of the Azbox Premium Plus I would not have had to call the professional installer. He was reasonable, as he always is. Wanted to share this with everyone! Thanks!

Yeah Patience plays a big part when getting started in this hobby. A lot of stuff to learn up front. You will learn something new everyday just keep reading and experimenting. That is half the fun to me, the other half of course would be finding new stuff to watch.;) Now that you got it up and running, take sometime and go through every menu on your receiver and look at all the options you see. If you don't know what something means look it up or ask. You will find out new things a long the way.

Questions on how to operate SH-200

I bought a used Sathero-200 on ebay in excellent condition. It came complete with everything in its box.
However, the instruction manual leaves much to be desired and thus my Q's:
1. How can I program new satellites into the meter?
2. Do I need to connect a receiver to make it work or does the instrument supply voltages to the LNB on its own?

Saludos from the Caribbean
Janin

Last edited:
I bought a used Sathero-200 on ebay in excellent condition. It came complete with everything in its box.
However, the instruction manual leaves much to be desired and thus my Q's:
1. How can I program new satellites into the meter?
2. Do I need to connect a receiver to make it work or does the instrument supply voltages to the LNB on its own?

Saludos from the Caribbean
Janin

1. If you want to program in a new satellite you will have to hook it up to a computer if you want it to say a certain thing like mine said amc-3 for a long time but still worked even though the sat is ses-2 now. To make it look right to only my aesthetics I finally hooked to my computer and re-programed it.

2. No receiver needed it will power the LNB.

Anymore questions, just feel free to ask. :)

Anik F3 to be entered

If you want to program in a new satellite you will have to hook it up to a computer...

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I shall try to enter the Anik F3 sat (118.8 west) and see how it goes.
How the programming is done I do not know yet, maybe there is a menu to follow... :reading:

Janin

Its all done with Microsoft Excel to set up everything the way you want it and then upload with the loader program.

Programming a Sathero SH-200

Its all done with Microsoft Excel to set up everything the way you want it and then upload with the loader program.

Thanks again for your help.
I will have to dig into that. :reading:
The instruction folder is very brief, to say the least... :rolleyes:

Janin

When you are out at the dish and not useing your satellite reciever what port on the sathero 200 do you connect to your lnb. I know it sounds like a dumb question but the diagram in the manual is so confusing.

Make sure there are no diseqc switches or 22KHz switches between the meter and the LNBf. Otherwise it works great. It has to be kept warm in the winter though it won't work below freezing... not an issue this time of year. Makes lining up multiple feeds a breeze..

Switch in beetween

Make sure there are no diseqc switches or 22KHz switches between the meter and the LNBf. Otherwise it works great.

Hmm, mine also works well even with the DiSEqC switch in between... :cool:
Or do I get wrong readings with that? :eek:

Janin

Depends if it stays on the right port. It may arbitrarily switch when you turn off your receiver. Then you may be looking at the wrong port. Best to eliminate all the possibilities and go direct. Once you have your dish lined up you can always connect your analyzer to the feedline right at the receiver to get an idea of how much loss there is in the system through the various cabling and switches... I generally do that and write down the loss (with the date) so next time I am there I can re-check that number to detect if there are any changes in the hardware.
The Sathero does not do diseqc and only does 22KHz if you set up "universal" LNBF option.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts