Please reply by conversation.

pwrsurge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2007
Canada
Hi,

Just wanted to check with you guys to find out how much signal you are getting off of SatMex 5 KU band? I used to get a good signal but now it seems like I hardly get anything. Is the signal still good up in northern US / Southern Canada for Televisa and XEWT 12?

I've always read that the satellite's footprint is aimed more south and that the more north you are, the harder it is to receive it. I'm seeing it the same as always here.

I'll be blunt

The closer you are to the "northern" border than the southern it sucks rocks. I'm in Minnesota and cane barely get a signal on Satmex5 except for the data transponders. A 6 footer I can get enough signal to keep it stable

If you see the signal map (again take these with a grain of salt) it cuts off DRAMTICALLY the farther north you get

sm5_ku2.gif

Satmex5 on C-Band versus KU reminds me of AMC1 (103W)
AMC1 C-Band...normal
AMC1 KU Band....oddball skew

Satmex5 C-Band...normal
Satmex5 KU Band...Horrible recption in the northern US states

Here at 34.5n I'm only getting 6 channels on SM5, 1-4 scrambled and say MTY 60signal/92quality & 11974 Televisa Tijuan 79/99 good stable video && one called Default
Program, some discussion type program, good video there too, and a channel that scans in as
Latin America and says BYU onscreen, 12172H only about 30/30 signal glitching up bad.
Surprised I get that many, using a .90 oval primestar.

Today i saw a huge peak at the Tijuana channel, it went from 70 to 99 and i didn't even move the antenna (10 ft prime focus with BCS621-2), i am in southern California but if this surge in power it's general then maybe everybody can receive it fine.

Cheers

Mike

Today i saw a huge peak at the Tijuana channel, it went from 70 to 99 and i didn't even move the antenna (10 ft prime focus with BCS621-2), i am in southern California but if this surge in power it's general then maybe everybody can receive it fine.

Cheers

Mike

BSC621-2 is likely your problem. Most wind up on the shelf or dust bin.

BSC621-2 is likely your problem. Most wind up on the shelf or dust bin.

Yep, it's not the best even if i can get 80-90 Q on most Ku signals with my 10 ft prime focus except for some pesky channels like RTN which has only about 50-60 Q and the NBC mux @ 72ºW with just past 40 Q, but sometimes just acts weird. Until i get my H-H motor for Ku i'll stick with it (i have ready to install one of the two C2 LNBFs i bought in the group buy).

Cheers

M.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)