Satmex 5 - where is BYUTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lumpkin666

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
USA
Okay, so I bought a "load" of DVB FTA equipment (3 receivers, 3 dishes, 1 mover) in anticipation of setting up a few boxes to receive BYUTV from satmex 5 (KU). Finally I get around to installing everything and tweaking my first dish to get BYUTV coming in, and I notice that the audio is sorta out of sync.

It turns out that the audio is probably out of sync because there are several audio channels meant for different language reception. It's probably delayed for translation or something. No problem, I just go to the byutv website to see if there is any info about which audio feed I should be using to receive english.

What?!? It no longer lists satmex 5 for any state! Crud! It looks like they are moving away from Satmex 5 now, and only offering FTA DVB on c-band.

So, am I likely to have any luck pulling down the c-band feed off of G25 using my old 7.5 foot mesh dish (complete with plenty of dents and dings), or am I going to end up buying a new dish? If a new dish is my only choice, any thoughts on whether the 180cm fortec dish will be sufficent from southern Iowa?

Thanks for putting up with my rant, and for any advice you might have.

Try 55.5 West Intelsat 805
BYU Latin America feed is pretty strong, with many audio carriers.
Should be easier to get than 97 West.

I got this from there webpage

I know this isn't lyngsat stuff. Though I think lyngsat has it listed. But, it is on the byu webpage for public access.

Intelsat 805 Parameters for Wegener receivers

Carrier Select ScreenCarrier3768.00 MHzData rate05.440 MbpsFEC2/3Tag2Program00000RF PolarizationHLNB SelectLocal Osc.LNB L.O.05150.00 MHzAudio PID: English
Audio PID: Spanish
Audio PID: PortugueseA01, left
A10, left
A10, right

(Symbol rate 04.427 for non-Wegener receivers, 1384 MHz L-band)

The 180cm dish will work fine in Iowa. I can get it fine in MN with the 180cm

As for the audio carriers, just select L or R only

Thanks guys, I'm back to spiffying up my current 7.5 mesh dish to "give it a shot" before making the jump to buy something else (too bad there are no vendor nearby or I'd just buy new. I just hate to fork over all that shipping expense too, though).

BTW - BYUTV got back to me (sorta) and it sounds like for the meantime that BYU International will be taking over the BYUTV channel location on Satmex 5. I'll at least be able to watch General Conference on Satmex 5 this weekend. If only I could figure out why only on this channel does everyone's lips move a second or two before I hear their voice!

I'm new to FTA I just setup my dish yesterday and was able to pick up BYU on Satmex 5. I also noticed the lack of sync between the video and English audio.

This is working well here in Los Angeles, CA

I know it's a long shot, (and I'd try the 805-cband first) but I've pulled BYUTV off of the Telstar 12-KU feed before. I don't know how you'll do in Southern Iowa (I'm on the east coast) but hey, if it works it works.

From Lyngsat:
Telstar 12 Ku-Band Transponder 29 Linear - 15 degrees W Long.
12081 Horizontal
Symbol 3.935
Data 5.902
FEC 3/4
english pid 4385

Good Luck!

I know it's a long shot, (and I'd try the 805-cband first) but I've pulled BYUTV off of the Telstar 12-KU feed before. I don't know how you'll do in Southern Iowa (I'm on the east coast) but hey, if it works it works.

From Lyngsat:
Telstar 12 Ku-Band Transponder 29 Linear - 15 degrees W Long.
12081 Horizontal
Symbol 3.935
Data 5.902
FEC 3/4
english pid 4385

Good Luck!
I ended up dragging out the c-band dish, so no need for a KU feed for me anymore. I am actually working on setting up my 3rd c-band dish this week :eek:

I sent this email to BYU TV International:

I'm able to watch BYU Television International on Satmex 5 just fine. However, the audible English does not sync with the perople talking. There is a slight delay from when you see the lips move to when the audio is heard. I'm anxious to watch General Conference and I wonder if this audio delay will continue. Please let me know.

I just received this response:

Thank you for your interest in BYU Television International. I will pass this information on to our engineers.

I'll follow up on the issue if it's not fixed soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts