Saved V-Box position location question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Arion

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 23, 2005
superjack_controller_1.jpg

Tek calls it a Superjack but it appears to be a rebranded V-Box. Question is on saving satellite locations. This box supposedly saves positions from 1-99. What I find easiest is to save the position number that corresponds to the satellite position in the arc. Position #1 is for 101W, position #3 is 103W, ect. That works for the satellites I can currently see through 121W which is position #21.

The problem is coming from the ones lower in the arc. 99W would be #99, 97W is #97 ect. It won't save those high numbers for some reason. I hit store and it goes to C## like it should. I then hit the 99 and press the save button and instead of the display flashing and returning to P99 it flashes twice and returns to the positioner count number. It won't save the high positions of 87 thru 99 which is all I can currently see with the foliage.

Is there a special trick for those high position locations or do you need to fill a certain number of the lower ones first? Tek's webpage confirms that the box should have 99 memories. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated.

DiSEqC 1.2 motor positions can be saved in any order up to the limit of the device. What is the position number that it stops saving? Often DiSEqC 1.2 devices (including many STBs) have a 64 satellite limit, but have never tested a SuperJack branded controller.

Sounds like you are programming the controller separate from the receiver? If so, there is a faster way...

Usually before programming the controller, I will print a list of satellites and number them from east to west. I then use the receiver's DiSEqC 1.2 Motor Install menu position the dish, assign a motor position number and save. This automatically synchronizes the receiver and the controller so you don't have to program each unit separately. :)

Reactions: KE4EST and Lee60
Unfortunately I'm using a Icecrypt S3750CHD and one of the only drawbacks with this receiver is when you select DISEQC 1.2 on the motor option it gives you only a 'save' button after you gross tune and fine tune the position. So I have no idea what number is being saved to the position. Every other receiver I've had including the computer cards allows you to assign a specific position on the 1.2 motor menu. I've seen this as a fault from others that own the receiver as well over at Rick's. I've got a question into Icecrypt and I sure would like them to rewrite the firmware as that way I could just ditch the vbox remote all together.

Oh no, not another receiver built in China with a motor control issue?? That's all we need....................NOT!:deadhorse2 Thanks for the heads up on this.

I don't have an Icecrypt S3750CHD but from what I've read, it's an updated version of the Amiko Alien2 with some additional features. It still dual boots to Spark software or Enigma 2 if you choose and the latest screen shots I've seen show it has the same DBase, Kernel, and U-Boot versions as the Alien2. Its system firmware version is 1.2.86 instead of the 1.2.83 my Alien2 runs.

If the satellite setup is the same, the DiSEqC 1.2 position number it saves will be the same as the satellite number in the satellite installation menu. That's also the sat_key entry in the database.

I've had no problems at all with either DiSEqC 1.2 or USALS motor control on the Alien2 in the 4 or 5 years I've had it and I haven't heard of issues with the Icecrypt either. You just can't choose the position number you want to use.

A2_dbase.jpg

Last edited:
Ernie,

Noob question here. How do I FTP into the box in order to see the XML for the satellite locations? External networked computer using the DHCP IP number and a specific port number or something? The manual is a translation from Chinese to English and leaves a lot to be desired. LOL

Unfortunately I'm using a Icecrypt S3750CHD and one of the only drawbacks with this receiver is when you select DISEQC 1.2 on the motor option it gives you only a 'save' button after you gross tune and fine tune the position. So I have no idea what number is being saved to the position.

I would still recommend using the receiver's DiSEqC 1.2 motor control menu to save the motor position and auto synchronize with the controller. If you want to know the saved motor number, watch the controller's display during the save, for the assigned number to appear. This way the STB will automatically position the dish when you change channels (or while navigating menus) and you don't have to use the controller as a separate manual positioning device.

Got it all figured out. Thanks for the help. Also figured out how to FTP into the box and can see the Linux structure and where everything is kept. Now that the receiver is controlling the dish there is one less remote to mess with. LOL

Glad you got it figured out Arion. I seldom FTP into the box. Generally I just use the database transform function to export the database xml files. After saving a backup copy and then making the desired changes to the applicable file, I use the database transform function again to import it back into the receiver.

Might as well give some input and get some feedback while we are on the subject. I save my satellite positions as the orbital locations like this:

55W - 55
97W - 97
99W - 99
101W - 01
105W - 05
127W - 27

I like being able to look at the Vbox and see the orbital location displayed on the Vbox. Does anyone see where this would cause a problem, I only ask out of curiosity? So far I have not seen any issues. Seems to work OK since I cant go further than 45 to 139. In reality I travel from 55W to 131W if I am lucky.

You will love this then if you ever upgrade to an ASC1. I specifically requested it to have 255(256) memory positions, knowing it had the memory space...just so I could do just that. :)
So on my ASC1 you can have 101W saved as 101, 125W saved as 125, etc. I love it!

That might be my next upgrade, I like the look of that box. However, Tek has some other things they are working on that really has my interest so I might wait a bit. I'll have to see how expensive it all is and whether or not to take the plunge. Just nice to see some new consumer level products for C-band even if they are from China.

I.E.

- The SkyTracker dish controller (which we expect to become the industry standard) is now being bench tested and the bugs are being worked out. A recent engineering grad is working on it under my supervision. Some features include: L-band power level detector for locking signals, 4 receiver outputs, 4 axis motor control(up to 4 motors on a single dish or control up to 4 dishes with a single motor), 12V - 48V selectable power output up to 15 amps, ethernet port for remote web control and last but not least, epg support. The SkyTracker will be able to check the internet for programming information (i.e. 7-day epg from a programmer's webpage) and then inject it directly into the L-band as EIT packets so any DBV-S2 receiver can display the information. It will be customizable by the end user via a browser. This feature has been sorely lacking in TVRO until now. TVRO will having nothing to be ashamed of when compared to other tv services once the SkyTracker arrives!

file.php

Some new products are currently available and coming soon to facilitate multi-axis motorization and control of the dish you purchase from us or one of our affiliates. Our 6th generation (and beyond) antennas have been fabricated to accept the following motor axis control:

1. Clarke Belt (standard and suggested for beginners)
2. Elevation (0 - 60 degrees using 12" or 18" heavy-duty actuator)
3. Declination (0 - 10 degrees using screw jack)
4. Azimuth (0 - 360 degrees HH using slewing drive)
5. Feedhorn Rotation (rotates entire feed for aligning multi-axis feeds for)
6. LNBF rotation (for rotating prime-focus LNBF)

Some pictures below of prototypes and more comments later. At the moment, we suggest people purchase a bare-bones mesh dish (8ft, 10ft, 12ft, 13.5ft) and become familiar with TVRO. After that, you can purchase the motors and metal adaptors you need for motorizing whichever axis you prefer.

That might be my next upgrade, I like the look of that box. However, Tek has some other things they are working on that really has my interest so I might wait a bit. I'll have to see how expensive it all is and whether or not to take the plunge. Just nice to see some new consumer level products for C-band even if they are from China.

I.E.

- The SkyTracker dish controller (which we expect to become the industry standard) is now being bench tested and the bugs are being worked out. A recent engineering grad is working on it under my supervision. Some features include: L-band power level detector for locking signals, 4 receiver outputs, 4 axis motor control(up to 4 motors on a single dish or control up to 4 dishes with a single motor), 12V - 48V selectable power output up to 15 amps, ethernet port for remote web control and last but not least, epg support. The SkyTracker will be able to check the internet for programming information (i.e. 7-day epg from a programmer's webpage) and then inject it directly into the L-band as EIT packets so any DBV-S2 receiver can display the information. It will be customizable by the end user via a browser. This feature has been sorely lacking in TVRO until now. TVRO will having nothing to be ashamed of when compared to other tv services once the SkyTracker arrives!

file.php

Some new products are currently available and coming soon to facilitate multi-axis motorization and control of the dish you purchase from us or one of our affiliates. Our 6th generation (and beyond) antennas have been fabricated to accept the following motor axis control:

1. Clarke Belt (standard and suggested for beginners)
2. Elevation (0 - 60 degrees using 12" or 18" heavy-duty actuator)
3. Declination (0 - 10 degrees using screw jack)
4. Azimuth (0 - 360 degrees HH using slewing drive)
5. Feedhorn Rotation (rotates entire feed for aligning multi-axis feeds for)
6. LNBF rotation (for rotating prime-focus LNBF)

Some pictures below of prototypes and more comments later. At the moment, we suggest people purchase a bare-bones mesh dish (8ft, 10ft, 12ft, 13.5ft) and become familiar with TVRO. After that, you can purchase the motors and metal adaptors you need for motorizing whichever axis you prefer.
I MUST HAVE THIS!!!

So is there a positioner that understands two actuators? or would you have to have a separate box for the elevation adjustment?

You will love this then if you ever upgrade to an ASC1. I specifically requested it to have 255(256) memory positions, knowing it had the memory space...just so I could do just that. :)
So on my ASC1 you can have 101W saved as 101, 125W saved as 125, etc. I love it!
Any known problems with the GeoSatPro Micro HD when using the Titanium ASC-1?

I MUST HAVE THIS!!!

So is there a positioner that understands two actuators? or would you have to have a separate box for the elevation adjustment?

It states '4 axis motor control' so that would be azimuth, elevation, skew and declination fine tuning if you went the whole monty. The one box will do it all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)