Saving shows from PTAT

But, what do you have to do to save a particular program to the user space, intact? I mean, after the fact, like, the next day.
you would have to save that show and the one that follows it to have the whole show. and with the one that falls into that last hour or half hour of programming you would need to set a timer to record the news or how ever long the over run for the last show would be.

i like the one long recording though, it will be nice on a couple nights where abc, nbc,etc.. have 3-4 shows that i like. just start one and keep watching.

too bad they couldn't figure out how to send a flag down in real time to account for the overrun.

i'm just glad the system is working very stably right out of the box myself! :D

you would have to save that show and the one that follows it to have the whole show. and with the one that falls into that last hour or half hour of programming you would need to set a timer to record the news or how ever long the over run for the last show would be.
Thanks, sethwell...that leads into my other question I believe I asked...when saving the 2 consecutive programs, does it do a hard cut, potentially losing information, or does it buffer both ends of both recordings?

Thanks, sethwell...that leads into my other question I believe I asked...when saving the 2 consecutive programs, does it do a hard cut, potentially losing information, or does it buffer both ends of both recordings?

I doubt anyone other than Scott knows at this point. When saving a PTA event, it appears (so far) to just put a pointer in the regular DVR folder to the entire PTA stream for that channel. If I select "start over" on the saved 8pm fox program from the regular DVR folder I can play straight through to 11pm.

I am assuming at this point that once the 8th day housekeeping process kicks in it will do the trimming and only really save the hour you want. If not there will be a lot of wasted drive space.

I just checked all the PTAT recording from tonight and found some interesting things. I started with 60 minutes and noticed that it started recording at 7 and the first 40 some minutes of the show were basketball. Then 60 minutes started with 11 minutes left of the scheduled program. This is where things get interesting. The program just keeps running into the next time slot. So the title says amazing race but I'm still watching 60 minutes. Same thing goes with the amazing race. It treated it as one long recording. I was actually able to fast forward all the way through every primetime show to night all from the same selected recording from PTAT.

Note that the last primetime show was cut off early. All other shows were recorded just fine.

Thanks for testing this Shermann. Not that you were saying this in the weeks before release, but to all those who said that the PTAT would automatically pad if a sports event prior to the beginning of PTAT caused a delay in the start of the PTAT block, I think that we see that it does not do this. The last primetime show of the evening ends up being cut off in this case. If the sports event had occurred within the block it probably would have padded.

this is what I really want to know its what bothers me the most with the 722.
it should be easy to test if someone would take the time and test it.

this is what I really want to know its what bothers me the most with the 722.
it should be easy to test if someone would take the time and test it.

I asked Scott about this a week or so ago, and he said it does buffer at both ends (no hard cut) - something that I am glad they have finally implemented in a DVR.

I asked Scott about this a week or so ago, and he said it does buffer at both ends (no hard cut) - something that I am glad they have finally implemented in a DVR.

Two back to back non-PTA recordings work the same as they always have and will have the "hard cut" between shows.

I hope Scott is right on the saved PTA recordings.

Two back to back non-PTA recordings work the same as they always have and will have the "hard cut" between shows.

Sorry - I should have specified that this was only for the PTAT shows. Unfortunately, all other recordings will still have the hard cut (unless there are enough tuners available to have an overlap).

Thanks for the answer unfortunately not the one i wanted It would now depend on how two hopper will work together I will not upgrade and still miss the end of my shows. if they had only added more tuners
I did play with the hopper on Saturday and like the interface
so the dish fans know also had a talk with the Comcast guy on there lack of tuners in there mrv system I thought he was going to hit me with the man size remote at the show:)

But, what do you have to do to save a particular program to the user space, intact? I mean, after the fact, like, the next day.
PTAT simply records shows based on the EPG. If something is delayed, then there's no way currently to save a program "intact" to your user space. You would have to know it was delayed and move the follow-up program as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts