Saw a big dish in a movie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

somery

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Pasadena, TX
Hi, just rented My Super Ex-Girlfriend. Was a really cute movie with Uma Thurman and Luke Wilson. Exactly one hour and ten minutes into the movie, Luke Wilson gets out of the cab, and heads to the front door of the "super-villain", and in plain site in the front yard is a big ten footer mesh dish. You can see Luke Wilson walk by it and he even looks like he looks over to it. Looks like its mounted on a tri pod or something. Yall probably think im a dork, but i got a laugh out of it and was elbowing at my eye-rolling wife :rolleyes:
:) :)

Check out this teleport/dish farm not too far from my house. It even has a huge commercial toroidal dish in the back. Be sure to click the "Birds-eye view" mode if it doesn't default to that. This works in IE and Firefox.

LINK

Last edited:
I had read somewhere that it is either the DirecTV or EchoStar uplink facility or both (I see no visible sign at the property driving by). The address is 801 North Dish Drive, Gilbert, AZ 85233 which does google both.

Don't get me started LOL! I think we as end users got screwed with R&D of residential BUDs going bye-bye. As you know BUDs are far and away they best sat. Back in 90'ish I spent about $2200 for a top-o-the-line 10' C/Ku and Houston Tracker Premier 70+ and would do the same today to get that toroidal; assuming we had access to a provider like NPS that could get us any programming out there like the old days. Heck this dish allows no movement and thus can/should drive any number of IRDs at once while looking at whatever sat/tp they want.

Wrong answer: it is owned by dish network. (have to love county records!)

It is a broadcast operations center.

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSee...spx?Job_DID=J8H7NQ6DX2PVT4TJX8S&lr=cbnh_bizdv

(helps give more info!)

and here is the final details (and hopefully my final edit!)

In December 1998 News Corp. agreed to sell its satellite television assets to EchoStar, which would increase EchoStar's channels from 200 to 500. Under terms of the agreement, EchoStar would pay $1.25 billion to buy the DBS assets of the MCI Worldcom-News Corp. venture, American Sky Broadcasting (ASkyB). The stock deal would give MCI and News Corp. a 37 percent interest in EchoStar and end the litigation over the failed merger attempt in 1997. EchoStar would receive AskyB's uplink center in Gilbert, Arizona, as well as a license to operate at another orbital location, and two satellites then under construction. EchoStar also got a three-year retransmission deal to carry Fox Network's local signals and agreed to carry the Fox News Channel. Following the merger, EchoStar would control more than half the satellite slots over the United States. With FCC approval of ASkyB's license transfer to EchoStar, the deal closed in June 1999, with EchoStar issuing 8.6 million shares of Class A stock.

Last edited:
I would not mind buds either, well I have one but I mean for everybody. However as an installer the the small ones are fine with me.

my neighbor said "You can't get any channels on those ugly things anymore" why did you put that up there?

I just laughed and and told him to keep paying his 90.00 dollars for his crumcast digital package. LOL

Hi, just rented My Super Ex-Girlfriend. Was a really cute movie with Uma Thurman and Luke Wilson. Exactly one hour and ten minutes into the movie, Luke Wilson gets out of the cab, and heads to the front door of the "super-villain", and in plain site in the front yard is a big ten footer mesh dish. You can see Luke Wilson walk by it and he even looks like he looks over to it. Looks like its mounted on a tri pod or something. Yall probably think im a dork, but i got a laugh out of it and was elbowing at my eye-rolling wife :rolleyes:
:) :)

Yep... I saw that part and laughed myself.

I have to take some screengrabs. There was an episode of "trailer park boys" (Canadian comedy) and after Ricky became supervisor, he rewired the whole park for satellite and was account splitting (one of his customers is hollering he paid $10 and it should work).

Bottom line is the trailer had like 10 dishes on it. Few DBS ones, couple StarChoice and a C-band. When the cable guys come and tells him to remove them, he rolls the C-band dish off the roof of the trailer and whipped a KU dish at the truck.

I almost cried :(

Also in a lot of the episodes you see dishes on the roof. Most look like larger DBS dishes but there are no LNB's and they look like their aimed at the ground :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)