Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
SatelliteGuys has learned that SBC will soon be rolling out its 2 Wire Hybrid Satellite Receiver / Internet portal. We have also learned that the product has been renamed "Home Zone"

In the document which was sent to us by an anonymous source it is stated the following
These capabilities will come together in the home through the use of a next-generation set-top box being developed by silicon-valley-based vendor 2Wire that will integrate the satellite-delivered program feed and terrestrial DSL features. This product, which, in many ways, will be as feature-rich as the IP-based video service that SBC will provide over the Project Lightspeed network, will not be dependent in its reach on an additional network build, as it can be made available to any household that has access to SBC’s existing DSL Internet service.

SatelliteGuys reviewed the 2 Wire media Portal (Now the "Home Zone") in January at the CES Show and were very impressed with it then. Hopefully when this product becomes available I will be able to cancel Dish Network and get SBC instead to take advantage of this great technology.

Scott Greczkowski said:
SatelliteGuys has learned that SBC will soon be rolling out its 2 Wire Hibread Satellite Receiver / Internet portal. We have also learned that the product has been renamed "Home Zone"

Is that similar to a hybrid receiver? :D

But, seriously, did this source mention pricing to the consumer, either new or existing, for these new receivers? Also, any word on whether SBC Dish subs will ever be eligible for the Voom channels? That makes the HD DVR a little more useful.

Scott, good luck in switching. I inquired about it and was told I had to cancel DISH and stay away 6 months before I could sign up with SBC. Please fill me in if you have any clues as to how to bypass that.

Okay, I have a hard time believing this one considering there has been no mention of a single mpeg 4 receiver to truly be ready soon by dish, much less one by 2wire/sbc. There is way, way, way, too much testing to do on dish's part before any real soon release date to be feasible by SBC much less dish. Scott, I think you were feed a "lame duck" line. Sorry man

GaryPen said:
The difference here is that 2Wire may just have the foresight to make their HW upgradable through software, unlike Dish, who not only doesn't have any foresight, but appears to lack hindsight as well.

No arguments there. ;)

ocnier said:
Okay, I have a hard time believing this one considering there has been no mention of a single mpeg 4 receiver to truly be ready soon by dish, much less one by 2wire/sbc. There is way, way, way, too much testing to do on dish's part before any real soon release date to be feasible by SBC much less dish. Scott, I think you were feed a "lame duck" line. Sorry man
The two wire box is MPEG4 compatable. :)

Yes it was, and I am told that if I thought the system was good before wait to see what they have when they release it.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes it was, and I am told that if I thought the system was good before wait to see what they have when they release it.

Okay I can buy off on that but it begs the question why hasn't Dish made a push to distribute their own 2wire branded mpeg media portal. It seems awfully strange that a third party affiliate is so much further ahead in product offering. :confused:

ocnier said:
It seems awfully strange that a third party affiliate is so much further ahead in product offering. :confused:
It would seem strange for a company that does things logically, rationally, and intelligently. But, for Dish, it seems perfectly normal.

FYI, they were one of the first investors in the Digeo Moxi DVR. Yet, they chose instead to go with the 921.

GaryPen said:
It would seem strange for a company that does things logically, rationally, and intelligently. But, for Dish, it seems perfectly normal.

FYI, they were one of the first investors in the Digeo Moxi DVR. Yet, they chose instead to go with the 921.

Again, no argument there. I will laugh though if SBC gets this out the door first. It will look really bad on Dish as it will to a whole lot of people who know what's goin on (i.e. everyone on this board). ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts