Scamed by a GE extended warranty.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
but the way i look at if, things that cost alot of money it might be worth buying a warranty on it. you never know what sort of financial situation you may be in when the mfg warranty expirs and that new toy you bought breaks. if you think you can afford to fix or replace it in the time frame of the ex war then dont get it.

Well as I said earlier, I have never bought an EW. And at his point I don't think I ever will. In the 31 years that I have been married I have bought many new toys. Maybe I have just been damn lucky, but I still have sets that I have purchased from Trader Horn, Caldor, and Crazy Eddie. One 13in Sony is almost 30 years old and another 50in Sony is about 25 years old. The stores that I bought them from (as listed above) are long gone, but all my sets still work fine! In fact I have my house on the market right now, and I'm going to throw in the 50in as bonus to the buyer.

freddog said:
How do you "tune up" a plasma??? Just curious never heard of that before.

I didn't know either. From what I understand it is fine tuning the picture, making sure everything is in working order and cleaning out the fan areas.

I have had some items go bad right after the warranty expires. Makes you wonder if they planned it that way. I never buy those extended warranties though but my father does at Sears and they are GREAT to deal with. They have their own insurance and ship it to their repair center. If they cannot fix it they will pay you what you paid for your item or replace it with a new one like it. They will let you get a warranty on an item even if it is five years old. The warranties are pretty expensive though.

directvfreak said:
GE is also the owner of thompson/RCA so he said it was an RCA model HR10-250. Ge is probably who does repairs for RCA.

WRONG....thompson/RCA builds the GE branded tvs vcrs etc... they do not own them

You always have to wonder..... my wife's laptop 2 weeks out of warranty and the hard drive just up and croaked...... shoulda bought the extended warranty...

Just FYI its THOMSON; formerly Thomson Multimedia, they are a multinational electronics manufacturer and media services provider headquartered in Boulogne-Billancourt, France. They are thought to have portions up for sale.

Organization

Thomson operates under four strategic brands servicing a variety of global markets:

* Thomson: Providing consumer electronics to Europe
* RCA: Providing consumer electronics to North America
* Grass Valley: Providing equipment and services to broadcast industries throughout the world
* Technicolor: Providing services to film industries throughout the world

Thomson operates under the GE Consumer Electronics brand in the United States.

Thomson also controls the patents and licensing of the MP3 audio codec.

They also produce a TiVo-based personal video recorder.

HISTORY
Thomson is named after the electrical engineer Elihu Thomson who was born in Manchester, England, on March 26, 1853. Thomson moved to Philadelphia at the age of 5, with his family.

Thomson formed the Thomson-Houston Electric Company in 1879 with Edwin Houston. The company merged with the Edison General Electric Company to become the General Electric Company in 1892. In 1893, the Compagnie Française Thomson-Houston (CFTH) was formed in Paris, a sister company to GE in the United States. It is from this company that the modern Thomson Group would evolve.

In 1966 CFTH merged with Hotchkiss-Brandt to form Thomson-Houston-Hotchkiss-Brandt (soon renamed Thomson-Brandt). In 1968 the electronics business of Thomson-Brandt merged with Compagnie Générale de Télégraphie Sans Fil (CSF) to form Thomson-CSF. Thomson Brandt maintained a significant shareholding in this company (approximately 40%).

In 1982 both Thomson-Brandt and Thomson-CSF were nationalized by François Mitterrand. Thomson-Brandt was renamed Thomson SA (Société Anonyme) and merged with Thomson-CSF.

In 1987, the state-run Thomson bought RCA and GE Consumer Electronics from GE.

In 1988 Thomson Consumer Electronics was formed, renamed Thomson Multimedia in 1995. The French government split the consumer electronics and defence businesses prior to privatisation in 1999, those companies being Thomson Multimedia and Thomson-CSF. Thomson-CSF went through a series of transactions, including with Marconi plc, before becoming Thales in 2000.

Like its American counterpart, the French Thomson has manufactured a variety of electrical, and later electronic, products for industrial, consumer, and military markets.

In 2000, Thomson Multimedia purchased Technicolor from Carlton Television (owned by Carlton Communications) in the UK.

In 2001, Thomson Multimedia purchased the Grass Valley Group from a private owner.

In 2002, Thomson Multimedia renamed itself Thomson.

In 2004, Thomson purchased the Moving Picture Company from ITV. Later in the same year, Thomson began a move into the broadcast management, facilities and services market, with the purchase of Corinthian Television. In the same year Thomson increased its stake in bangalore based Celstream Technologies specializing in product engineering.

In June 2005, Videocon Group India announced that it would acquire the colour picture tube manufacturing business from Thomson SA for Euro 240m. [1]

In December 2005, Thomson re-purchased the Broadcast & Multimedia part from Thales Group

Your statement that the Moral of the story is that GE Extended Warranties are a scam is 100 % correct.

And, in case you haven't needed to have a covered product replaced, you should be aware that, if you do get a replacement product, they will cancel the remainder of the warranty period. You will lose whatever time is left on the warranty. It is not transferred to the replacement. They do not advise you of this little detail when you purchase the warranty. I was not provided with a copy of my warranty service agreement when I purchased my TV and, even though I requested a copy, I still have not received one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)