Sci Fi Goes for Cool as Syfy New Name

Well, it's a statement of intent, and given the track record of other channels, it's seems likely.

I guess What I meant was some goofs in marketing came up with the name and then creatively wrote the press release to convince us that the new name will broaden our perceptions. Who is the new target audience that would think Syfy actually means anything.

I guess What I meant was some goofs in marketing came up with the name and then creatively wrote the press release to convince us that the new name will broaden our perceptions. Who is the new target audience that would think Syfy actually means anything.

Oh, I see what you meant. I have no idea who they're trying to appeal to by creating just another generic channel.

A couple of follow-on comments. I recall many years ago when I was still reading SF magazines reading an article in one of them which said "sci fi" was pronounced "skiffy." I never picked up on it up, though, and always thought of the pronunciation as "sigh fi." "SFy" to me means "science fantasy," and is probably the inspiration for "syfy."

Plus 1: I enjoyed Kenny Rogers' Roasters, especially after KFC was purchased by Heinz which abandoned the original Colonel Sanders' fried chicken recipe on the grounds it didn't taste enough like regular fried chicken.

Regards,
Fitzie

Plus 1: I enjoyed Kenny Rogers' Roasters, especially after KFC was purchased by Heinz which abandoned the original Colonel Sanders' fried chicken recipe on the grounds it didn't taste enough like regular fried chicken.

Regards,
Fitzie

I guess I am out of the loop now. Haven't worked at KFC since 94. They still had the original recipe when I worked there. I don't remember who owned the corporation or the corporate stores since I worked for a franchisee that only owned two stores (one good, mine, and one losing money in another town and subsidized by their good store). Doesn't PepsiCo own KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco bell? Maybe I am behind the loop. I know they owned them when the Star Wars prequals came out in 99, 02, 05, as Pepsi had the marketing rights and they did cross marketing with the aforementioned restaurants, Pepsi soda products, and Frito Lay chips, which they also own. I guess at some point they sold it to Heinz, as in John Kerry's wife, the goddess of ketchup? What a disappointment. Messing with the original recipe would have Colonel Sanders rolling in his grave. Oh wait, almost forgot, the Colonel is frozen in KFC Coleslaw, to be thawed out only in the event of a cure for his cause of death.

Oh well, enough nostalgia for my youthful job as a cook at KFC. I'm sure it has gone downhill like just about everything else in the last five years or so (except TV choices with FIOS coming online and all that HD and a few other exceptions).

SyFy.... it is definitely stuck in my head. Random times throughout the day I see that silly new logo flash by in my head and it makes me think of the channel. A channel I typically don't watch much in recent years except for Scare Tactics. So maybe as bad as it is, it is good marketing. Any good marketing sticks. From an ugly jingle to a brand image like this that SciFi traditionalists cannot stand. This may drag in more viewers. Who knows.

Reading other people's posts and a few things I have read online in the media, I now wish I gave Battlestar Gallactica a whirl. Are they going to have marathon of the previous seasons or continue to air them? I would just need to see maybe four or five shows of the first season and if I liked it I would buy the rest on DVD or if I didn't like it, I'd forget it. Let me know if they will continue old season repeats and maybe I'll give that one a chance. Looks good.

Having that said, SciFi could certainly use a re-branding, but I think they could have made a better choice.

From Steven's show last night: [ame=http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/222070/march-18-2009/tip-wag---mississippi--talk-shows---scifi]Tip/Wag - Mississippi, Talk Shows & SciFi | March 18th | ColbertNation.com[/ame] Jump to 2:10 or so so Steven's take on the name change...

Wanna bet? Here's from their press release.

By changing the name to Syfy, which remains phonetically identical, the new brand broadens perceptions and embraces a wider and more diverse range of imagination-based entertainment including fantasy, paranormal, reality, mystery, action and adventure, as well as science fiction.

You proved my point IMO. They're changing their brand to change perceptions to more closely reflect what is shown on their channel now. Stuff like Ghost Hunters have been on for going on 5 years.

The generic channel comments are premature and missing the point.

You proved my point IMO. They're changing their brand to change perceptions to more closely reflect what is shown on their channel now. Stuff like Ghost Hunters have been on for going on 5 years.

The generic channel comments are premature and missing the point.

Well, I hope you're right. If it becomes another G4 then they're ruined it. If it stays as is, then I'm fine with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)