Scott goes Batty

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Bats are wonderful eco friendly that's keeps bugs down! :) :hatsoff

Oh you can say that again! On my first trip to Los Alamos in... Ah... The mid '70's, Mexico had forgotten their free-tailed bats were so important and began dynamiting their cave mouths, with the result that their bat population crashed, and the little moth population in NM exploded. You could barely drive down the highway without getting a goopy mess smashed all over the windshield. You could barely get into or out of your door without having those dang moths fall on you from the top of the door frame and escape into your apartment. Of course they hid inside and didn't come out until you turned out the lights to sleep. And then there was this tick... tick... tick... as those dratted moths flew into the ceiling. Ugh!

I remembered in the Panama Canal Zone days seeing so many moths and good old bats having a good pig out eating! :biggrin

Of course that's was back in I was stationed in Panama Canal Zone back in 69 to 73 since my dad was in USAF at that time.

I just was little kid at that time, and chase too many butterflies out at the time. :):hatsoff

Reactions: TheKrell
So did Mexico or NM do anything to bring back the bats?

I think they just stopped doing what they were doing and the bat population recovered. At least the very next year the moth situation was much improved.
More likely southeastern, New Mexico where the famous bat's cave is located.:):hatsoff

I am blanking on that reference unless you are talking about Carlsbad which we most certainly did not dynamite! I remember listening to the bat lecture given by park Rangers at dusk. Magical!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)