Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
After today's DISH Press Conference, SatelliteGuys Founder Scott Greczkowski was able to interview DISH's head technology guru and DISH Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer Vivek Khemka.

(Please note: at the time of posting this message the video was still processing for all resolutions and also image stabilization was being applied. My thanks to Charles for stepping in as a camera man at last moment as other members of the SatelliteGuys staff did not make it in on time do to canceled flights.)

Vivek..."I actually challenge people to try to finds conflicts, now."

No doubt, someone will.

Reactions: david_jr
At 2:00, Vivek talks about the Hopper to Hopper Ethernet connection that is in beta testing, which allows you to connect your old Hopper to the H3 to transfer recordings before sending the old Hopper back. That would work great if the H3 was shipped to you and you shipped the old one back, giving you time to transfer recordings at your convenience. My question is this: Doesn't the H3 require an installer visit to put in the new hybrid LNB? If that is the case, I can't imagine an installer taking the time to wait around while recordings are transferred from the old Hopper to the new one.

The installer will not take the old Hopper back, they will leave it with you to ship back with a box and label.

With the Ethernet transfer it could take a few DAYS to transfer all your recordings to the H3 since the old Hopper only has a 100 megabit connection on it. The transfer happens in the background so you can use your H3 like normal as the copying happens. :)

A quick question do they have a date for the realease of the new Hopper for this month yet?? Before I call Dish I know in the past customer service have no knowledge if it's not in there system yet.

I would think towards the end of January maybe.

Thank you,
Chris

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

A quick question do they have a date for the realease of the new Hopper for this month yet?? Before I call Dish I know in the past customer service have no knowledge if it's not in there system yet.

I would think towards the end of January maybe.
See the Hopper 3 Upgrade thread all the details are there. DO NOT contact DISH for a Hopper 3 yet. :)

I notice the motion stability really introduces some odd artifacts to the video, especially when you have the lower third in motion. I have used YouTube's motion correction before and never noticed this variable geometry before.

Fantastic information from Vivek about some of the new hardware! Thanks!

Great for Vivek to always have time for satellite guys :)

Vivek is a great guy. He's contacted me before and I've met with him at Team Summit. Very personable and he makes it well known that he appreciates the satelliteguys community. He knows that if there are flaws in a receiver that we will let them know.

Reactions: satjay
Is that optional ? What if one isn't concerned about transferring recordings and doesn't want to deal with doing the return ?

Generally when a customer does an upgrade they are required to send the old equipment back to dish in the empty boxes they ship you.

The installer is not to take them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts