Scott's Hopper Thoughts

If you're overpaying now for extra receiver fees, then yeah, there's nothing to gripe about with the upcoming H/J, and you don't understand. :D

Current fees are what they are, What's that got to do with making them better with H/J? Looking back, HD free for life and the $6 H/J savings pretty much wipes out the extra DVR fee in my current setup.

I don't understand where all the griping is coming from. I'm happy. My fees for 3 HD TVs (722,622,211) will drop from $30 to $24 (2 Hoppers, 1 Joey) for those TVs with a great improvement in capability. If it doesn't work for you, OTA, tailgating, Hopper communication, your current system isn't turning into a pumpkin. Just keep it until the necessary new features are implemented. If you don't think you're getting your money's worth, $7mo for the first Joey, make a Joey a Hopper instead. Is it to much for you to be happy for those of us that see it as an upgrade, instead of complaing that all features be implemented before release.
It's great that you get to benefit financially from the new setup. If your fees were going to increase a similar percentage that mine would, say to $50, would you still be so enthusiastic to upgrade??

It's great that you get to benefit financially from the new setup. If your fees were going to increase a similar percentage that mine would, say to $50, would you still be so enthusiastic to upgrade??

IIRC, you're mirroring feeds to SDTVs through a distribution amp such that you don't have the ability to watch different content on each screen.

It's not a direct comparison if my memory is correct as the new configuration would allow viewing of different content on each screen.

A fair piece comparison would be either a hopper and Joey or two hoppers using rf modulators to feed the distribution amps.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

IIRC, you're mirroring feeds to SDTVs through a distribution amp such that you don't have the ability to watch different content on each screen.

It's not a direct comparison if my memory is correct as the new configuration would allow viewing of different content on each screen.

A fair piece comparison would be either a hopper and Joey or two hoppers using rf modulators to feed the distribution amps.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
Um, no.

My 722 feeds one HD TV (tv1) and one SD TV (tv2) each with independent viewing. I have a 211k for a third TV. For this setup I currently pay $13 per month in fees.

Under a 1H/2J setup, to service the same TVs, the monthly fees would be $24.

cosmo_kramer said:
Um, no.

My 722 feeds one HD TV (tv1) and one SD TV (tv2) each with independent viewing. I have a 211k for a third TV. For this setup I currently pay $13 per month in fees.

That's about the same setup that I have and I thinks it's worth the extra money. Mine is only going up $7 thought since I have a 922.

Scott thanks for sharing your honest thoughts on H/J. I tend to agree with your points and I also really want the system. I do not have a tailgater, but I share the belief that those owners are being left behind by this system. However I am of the opinion that DISH will end up allowing one VIP for them somehow down the road. I also would have liked the first Joey to be included for no extra fee. How about a compromise, $3 for the first Joey on the account, that combined with MRV fee of $4 totals $7 for two outlets, which is $7 more than we pay for Duos now, but $4 less than the $11 extra they're asking for just two outlets. I think that's a fair compromise considering your getting HD at the second outlet, PTAT and one extra tuner. Now when you get past the second outlet that is really when you even start to truly get MRV really as you have it on 2 outlets with the Duos already. In my setup I have a 722/612 feeding 3 HDTVs, but I have 2 HDTVs in the boys bedrooms that get OTA only so I have been wanting to upgrade to more sat outlets previously but was holding back. I will not be ordering on day one, but probably by summer. The one thing that scares me is the thought of going from $16 in fees to $38 in fees, but I do realize that I will be getting a lot more, so I have to expect to pay for it. $31 would have been much more palatable. Ssome have suggested that DISH might reconsider on the fees after reading our posts here. I'm thinking that if the 1.5 million units the have stocked fly out the door there is no chance of that, but if not there is a chance. I really think it comes down to that.

One more thought: There hasn't been this much chatter around here since the Dish V. Tivo war. Like it or not the H/J is garnering a lot of interest and drool.

Hmmm. I've got an even better idea. 1st Hopper adds $6 since it's a DVR. 1st Joey adds $4 MRV fee. Additional Hoppers/Joeys $7 apiece.

Mike, want to say I always enjoy reading your posts!! But a correction is needed in this one. Dish gained 22,000 subs in the 4th Quarter. But for all of 2011 LOST 166,000 (!) according to the report if i'm reading it correctly...
Gerry

Okay, I should of proofed my statement and said: "and only gained 22,000 subs for the last QUARTER of the year." Okay but the message is the same . DISH lost more subs than they gained for the year and yet the profits keeps going up due to the FEES that DISH continues to create and ADD to their long list of charge it because we can, DISH FEES.

Okay, I should of proofed my statement and said: "and only gained 22,000 subs for the last QUARTER of the year." Okay but the message is the same . DISH lost more subs than they gained for the year and yet the profits keeps going up due to the FEES that DISH continues to create and ADD to their long list of charge it because we can, DISH FEES.

Both DISH and DIRECTV have fees and in the end a brand new DISH customer with Hopper/Joey will pay less per month than a brand new DIRECTV customer (even with all the discounts and rebates) from Day 1 through Day 730, and then considerably less thereafter (start of 3rd year of service).

Um, no.

The 1H/2J setup adds an HD receiver. Where can you go and get an additional HD receiver providing independent viewing without an additional fee. In addition, all 3 TVs would have DVR access. What's wrong with $11 per month more for the additional capability? You don't have to upgrade if you don't want to, but sooner or later you're going to want to upgrade that SD set to HD.

In my case, $11 more only converts an SD feed to HD. It doesn't add additional DVR access, or additional TVs. If I wanted to add an additional TV, that would be $18.

In my case, $11 more only converts an SD feed to HD. It doesn't add additional DVR access, or additional TVs. If I wanted to add an additional TV, that would be $18.

Granted, it doesn't sound like that's worth $11 to you, but it would also give your 3rd TV (the one currently using the 211) full access to all recorded programs from the Hopper as well, wouldn't it?

Granted, it doesn't sound like that's worth $11 to you, but it would also give your 3rd TV (the one currently using the 211) full access to all recorded programs from the Hopper as well, wouldn't it?
I don't have a 211, you're thinking of someone else.

A question I am sure has been answered but one I can not find the answer to, on the vip/ hopper mix. Is Dish not allowing the mix of the two systems for technical reasons or pirating/account stacking reasons? If the latter I do not understand how it helps prevent account stacking. Could you not just as easily order an additional hopper as a vip box to use in an unapproved place. My set up was 922 for my living room /bedroom and 612 in kids bedroom. All I ever wanted was HD in my bedroom. No way three tuners is enough for us. Had I stayed with Dish I would have to pay for a two hopper system just to get HD on my bedroom TV when the 612 was perfectly fine for my kid. I do not understand

Both DISH and DIRECTV have fees and in the end a brand new DISH customer with Hopper/Joey will pay less per month than a brand new DIRECTV customer (even with all the discounts and rebates) from Day 1 through Day 730, and then considerably less thereafter (start of 3rd year of service).

But for current customers who have Vip setup n three rooms , you would pay more than you do today. I currently have a 722k with ota support and two 211k receivers with Dvr software and external hard drives. So each 211k has one ota and one sat tuners and can be watched independently from each other. So I have 4 sat tuners and 4 ota tuners , totally between all of them. I pay $20.00 in Fees to do this in three rooms. Now if I were to go with the hopper and two joey units in my house, I would have a $4.00 increase in my bill . I would lose all ota support on the hopper and joeys ,because it doesn't exist yet, and I would go down to 3 sat tuners and one of them would be in use during prime time hours for network shows. So my fees would be $4.00 higher because of the Multi-View Fee being added to the $6.00 dvr fee. So I gain whole house dvr in three rooms using the hopper as the main unit to access all shows in any room. I lose ota support and the extra sat tuner. So even though the new subs may think it is cool and they might save money over DIRECTV's whole house dvr setup, they will be paying more than current subs do now .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)