Scott's Hopper Thoughts

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think they should allow ONE ViP unit, a 211 series or a 922. For Tailgaters, and perhaps as a way of getting some value out of the ViP922s out there, and to provide something of value to those owners. Technically, I don't see it as a major challenge to integrate H/J and the ViP922 in some limited way.

Another ugly thought just passed through my mind, with the H/J system does it also Sling? I sometimes watch sports at work and really don't want to lose the capability.

Moe

Another ugly thought just passed through my mind, with the H/J system does it also Sling? I sometimes watch sports at work and really don't want to lose the capability.

Moe
If you have a Sling Adapter, YES.
($30 if you don't have one yet).

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think they should allow ONE ViP unit, a 211 series or a 922. For Tailgaters, and perhaps as a way of getting some value out of the ViP922s out there, and to provide something of value to those owners. Technically, I don't see it as a major challenge to integrate H/J and the ViP922 in some limited way.

Since they seem close I could see the 922,will we? probably not.

If Dish won't allow a mixed system, why did they include the procedure for installing a VIP before the node in all their installation literature/video?

If Dish won't allow a mixed system, why did they include the procedure for installing a VIP before the node in all their installation literature/video?

Or the install docs show what's TECHNICALLY feasable, but not necessarily what's ALLOWED by the business rules.

In regard to not allowing a VIP receiver with the H/J. One reason that nobody has mentioned is that if you need more tuners, Dish would rather you get another Hopper (with that juicy upfront cost) instead of using a VIP you already have. Makes sense, especially since a Hopper has the same $7 per month fee as the 211K.

In regard to not allowing a VIP receiver with the H/J. One reason that nobody has mentioned is that if you need more tuners, Dish would rather you get another Hopper (with that juicy upfront cost) instead of using a VIP you already have. Makes sense, especially since a Hopper has the same $7 per month fee as the 211K.

At $100 or even $200 up front, it still takes Dish a quite a while recover the cost of a Hopper. From an equipment cost standpoint they're probably better off with you keeping the existing VIP unit that's all or mostly paid for already.

At $100 or even $200 up front, it still takes Dish a quite a while recover the cost of a Hopper. From an equipment cost standpoint they're probably better off with you keeping the existing VIP unit that's all or mostly paid for already.

Don't underestimate the value of that pesky 24-month commitment...

If you need a mixed system you are going with Hopper anyway, you will already have a new commitment.

The value I was referring to was from Dish's perspective. If you're towards the end, or out of contract on VIP equipment, you would think it would be in Dish's best interest to get you re-upped. The most logical way, I would think, would be to offer you a deal to upgrade your equipment.

If you need a mixed system you are going with Hopper anyway, you will already have a new commitment.
Well yah, with that commitment, Dish will make that money back. While you can buy a 211K for around $100 and still pay that $7 per month, you have no commitment, so no guaranteed profit. Getting another leased Hopper at $100/$200 will extend your commitment for another 2 years, thus making Dish that extra profit.

The value I was referring to was from Dish's perspective. If you're towards the end, or out of contract on VIP equipment, you would think it would be in Dish's best interest to get you re-upped. The most logical way, I would think, would be to offer you a deal to upgrade your equipment.

There are only two classes of folks that will really care about mixed systems. Tailgaters and owners. Owners probably own because they are contract-averse and will stay that way or want the ability to turn on/off an occasional use box. Tailgaters will not want two accounts. Eiter way it's a very small percentage and the no-mixed edict probably hinders upgrades more than it helps with new commitments. Might it be part of the decision? Maybe, but not a big part.

There probably is no one reason for the no-mixed decision, it's likely a laundry list of pros and cons and someone at Dish had to come down on one side or another.

Well yah, with that commitment, Dish will make that money back. While you can buy a 211K for around $100 and still pay that $7 per month, you have no commitment, so no guaranteed profit. Getting another leased Hopper at $100/$200 will extend your commitment for another 2 years, thus making Dish that extra profit.

But re-upping on a commitment does not add two full years, only extends it from the day you make the decision. Most folks are not going to be 23 months into their contract when they decide to add a second Hopper.

I guess you could say on average it might be 12 months, and I would think the recovery cost would be break even at best. And many of those folks would have stayed that long with or without a commitent holding them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts