Scott's Hopper Thoughts

You could get 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey for the same monthly fees and then you have 6 tuners to play with. That doesn't solve your OTA issue but when it is implemented you'd have even more tuners.

But solving the OTA issue is easy - wait until it is released before changing. If he wants OTA then upgrading before it is released is ill-advised.

If the 2H/1J is not allowed I won't be upgrading for sure. No way that 3 tuners would work in my home at this time. Maybe one day when it's just me and the wife here, but not until. I think it would be very poor decision-making on Dish's part to not allow that configuration as it would push more people in D*'s direction, where a 5 tuner (or more) option is available now.

I really can't see any reason why they wouldn't let us do it but Dish never stops amazing me with some of their crazy choices.

There actually is a logical reason why they might not, but there's no need to speculate.

You could get 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey for the same monthly fees and then you have 6 tuners to play with. That doesn't solve your OTA issue but when it is implemented you'd have even more tuners.

True , the idea of two hoppers really appeals to me ,but since they don't see each other yet, we couldn't share recordings between the two of them. But once DISH gets all the software up and working , it would be a better option, but I still need ota support. Either way I will wait till all the features I really want are actually working ,before I upgrade, if I upgrade at all. The increase in fees are still getting under my skin .

There actually is a logical reason why they might not, but there's no need to speculate.
Oh, what the heck...

Considering that a much more expensive 2nd hopper (compared to the cost of a joey) is only being charged a $7 monthly fee (the same fee as a joey), it makes logical and financial sense that they might be trading away a higher receiver fee for the 2nd hopper by requiring at least 2 joeys on the account before a 2nd hopper can be added.

It's logical, financially sound, and is supported by the fact that there are no 2-hopper configurations with less than 2 joeys on the retailer estimate sheet.

Well I haven't given up hope yet for a 2 Hopper config. At worst, 2H & 1J. But who knows? A year from now, I might well still be with my ViP722s,

Oh, what the heck...

Considering that a much more expensive 2nd hopper (compared to the cost of a joey) is only being charged a $7 monthly fee (the same fee as a joey), it makes logical and financial sense that they might be trading away a higher receiver fee for the 2nd hopper by requiring at least 2 joeys on the account before a 2nd hopper can be added.

It's logical, financially sound, and is supported by the fact that there are no 2-hopper configurations with less than 2 joeys on the retailer estimate sheet.

If that ends up being the case, that'll push some more to Direct. Three tuners isn't enough for a family when everyone's home and watching. I'm guessing whoever constructed the table didn't consider the multiple Hopper scenario very hard.

Tired old song. More "TV involved" people who can afford it get each kid and a guest room their own TV and STB. And think that's the norm.

Guess what, folks: Dish KNOWS how many tuners the average customer uses. And built accordingly. And lots of JSPs will LOVE the idea that they can later add a TV for $7. Even if they never actually do it.

Do even half the customers even HAVE a DVR? Last I heard - not.

Seems to me like Dish wanted to have a third tuner to save money. The reason I say that is that they will see it as less likely to need to provide another fully functional receiver when they can just provide another Joey and get the same monthly amount.

Stargazer said:
Seems to me like Dish wanted to have a third tuner to save money. The reason I say that is that they will see it as less likely to need to provide another fully functional receiver when they can just provide another Joey and get the same monthly amount.

Sounds reasonable.

I have 3 TVs (HD) and I am going to get 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. I have no doubt that I can get that configuration. Why bash Dish for something you IMAGINE might happen? Paranoia is rampant here.

I have 3 TVs (HD) and I am going to get 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. I have no doubt that I can get that configuration. Why bash Dish for something you IMAGINE might happen? Paranoia is rampant here.

There is no paranoia here. The chart, shown in a few places, doesn't show a 2 Hopper / 1 Joey configuration. One only has to think about it. If you can get the second Hopper for the same price as the Joey, monthly, everyone would order it that way. When you tack on the extra $7 for a Joey, it gives you pause. Another example is, if you can get a second Hopper for just $7 with no Joey needed, it would be advantageous to order 2 Hoppers for a single TV location just to get the extra 3 tuners. Dish is in business to make money and that won't happen with the no Joey configuration.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)