Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Before I get started with my review I should note that SatelliteGuys.US encourages all members to financially support their favorite satellite forums. All forums are run by volunteers who take great pride in helping you learn the most about Satellite TV. IN NO WAY is this review trying to discourage anyone from donating to any forum.

As you might has seen early this morning Mark Lamutt posted a special review of the yet unreleased Dish Network 942 High Definition DVR to the supporters area of DBSTalk.

The gold member review contains only 2 parts of 3, and the full 3 parts of the review will be posted for all to see tommorow at DBSTalk. The only way to see this review today is to donate to DBSTalk. Should you donate to see this review? That is a personal decission you need to make, but if your donating just to see this review you are going to be disapointed.

Mark opens up the review by giving his overall thoughts of the unit and gives the 942 one of the most feature packed Dish Network revceivers ever made. He also thinks that if you are interested in getting a 942 there is no reason to not get one. The biggest downside he gives to the 942 is that it is not upgradable to mpeg4.

He fails to mention in his review one of the biggest flaw to me of the 942 that I have been reporting for over a year now and that is the fact the 942 only has 1 over the air tuner. Because of this limitation TV2 can not watch live over the air television channels, only TV 1 can access the Over the Air tuner.

I agree 100% with Mark if you are going to be a new customer then getting the 942 for a $250 upgrade fee is a no brainer. Do it and don't think twice. You can't beat a $250 High Definition DVR!

If your thinking about buying a 942 for $699 (without Dish) I would think about it considering by fall the 942 could already be obsolite. Dish 921 owners are unhappy because their 921's are also obsolite with promised features no longer being devoloped or supported by the 921.

After Mark gives his overall review he then goes in and shows us the unit, what the lights are on the front and what the hookups are on the back of the unit.

In part two of his review he shows you some screen shots from the 942, again this portion of the review is written as a more of a user manual then an actual review.

It will be interesting to see part 3 tommorow. Mark did do a very good writeup and I believe he could have a future as a manual writer for Dish Network. Although except for the first 3 paragraphs what I posted my thoughts above the review is not a review, if you want to read it all it is best to wait for all 3 portions to be available to all tommorow.

A review of a preview of a review...that's funny.

FWIW, what I posted today is 16 of 64 pages. You'll want to read all 3 parts that get posted tomorrow. The actual "review" part of the review will be found on pages 1-3 and pages 62-64. Pages 4-61 show you what the 942 can do, what it can't do, what the worst of the current problems are, and how to work around some of them.

64 pages? Wow someone has to much free time finding all that stuff to write about a Dish receiver....

Scott Greczkowski said:
In part two of his review he shows you some screen shots from the 942, again this portion of the review is written as a more of a user manual then an actual review.

Hmmm never looked like a user manual to me. If I got Mark's review as a user manual, I would have been very disappointed. As to if it is a review, A review usually goes over all the features and what the reviewer found good or bad about the unit. At times a review may compare it to other products to point out the pluses and minuses. I have always found DpReview a good place to find good examples of what a review is and is not.

In my opinion, a review is not a witch hunt to try and find all the bugs of a product. Especially a review based on pre-released code. Most reviews I have read, there have been a lot, are usually one persons opinion of the features that the product offers and what they felt was good and what was bad or missing. Your opinion my differ, but based on the reviews I have read, Mark's does fall into this catagory of a review. In my opinion a excellent review.

As to BFG's comment about reviewing a product that has not yet released.... Hmmm That is what is commonly done from what I can tell. Manufactures give pre-release products to reviewers to review before they are released.

I Look forward to reading your review Scott. Will be interesting to compare.

As Mark said in another thread they issued a software update yesterday to fix some bugs that were in the pre release software.

I am sure Mark will update his review the best he can with information on the new software.

Dude, WJD get a life.

Why are you so obsessed with continuing to post here?

I guess it's so dull at DBStalk that you have nothing better to do so you can't resist hangining out here....

cdru said:
korsjs said:
there is no way i would buy one. you got to wait for mpeg 4.

I would agree. I also can't see spending $250 for a leased receiver that you have to return as well.

Nah, come-on dudes. The MPEG4 move is a ways off, and Dish will take care of the upgrades, not to get a piece of equipment because of a encoding upgrade, which you really know nothing about how/when Dish will do it is kinda silly, it's not your concern as a customer to worry about...

BFG said:
Dude, WJD get a life.

Why are you so obsessed with continuing to post here?

I guess it's so dull at DBStalk that you have nothing better to do so you can't resist hangining out here....

Good well thought out response BFG.. Couldn't that be said the same about you? As for getting a life, I have one thank you and I rather enjoy it but thanks for the advice.

Is there something incorrect about my post or the comment I made about yours? If so, feel free to point it out and I will either address it or edit my post make it more accurate.

Enough of the flaming.

WeeJavadude if your not happy here remove us from your bookmarks.

Someone asked me if there would be an upgrade from a 921 to a 942 and was told there are no plans at the moment, unless the customer wants to pay $699 for the 942.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Enough of the flaming.

WeeJavadude if your not happy here remove us from your bookmarks.

Someone asked me if there would be an upgrade from a 921 to a 942 and was told there are no plans at the moment, unless the customer wants to pay $699 for the 942.

Flaming.. The post you removed was my response to BFGs "get a life comment"... As to my other post, I took off what might be thought of as Flame bait. Fair enough... As to "enough of the flaiming", I dont' consider any of my other posts flaming, but feel free to point out where i am flaming in a PM and I will correct it. The post above is my opinion of what a review should be and mine alone.

Why was my previous post removed if was in response to a personal attack by one of your staff members? Shouldn't both of those posts been removed?

I agree exactly with Scott's assessment. I have both Voom and Dish, and recently sold my 921 on ebay. Dish does not have the HD content to support a 700 dollar receiver, though I agree with Mark this receiver should have been what the 921 wasn't.

Spoke with Voom yesterday and they indicated that their HD DVR was still scheduled for release in June. For what it is worth they seemed pretty confident that they would be around after April

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)