Scrambled or Digital audio?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATire

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Twin Cities
I got used to only scanning for FTA channels so was surprised to find out that there are many open channels out there.

I wish to better understand how to deal with audio however. I can clearly tell when a channel is scrambled or pay, most often there is a $ sign with the channel or it's just plain obvious that it is scrambled.

However, there are many channels which simply appear to be digital audio.
Question for you on scanning ALL channels.

For these channels, do I simply need to connect the receivers audio output into a digital adapter which can convert the signal as I need it?
I'll have to confirm but I seem to recall both the GEO and my junk receiver have digital outputs.

Mike

Last edited:
do I simply need to connect the receivers audio output into a digital adapter which can convert the signal
No, you will have to use the DIGITAL OUT into a decoder. Don't know if the receiver you have, has it, but most audio that doesn't work is usually AC3. A Sonic Voom can be used to decode these. There are some feeds that use other audio types, DTS, AAC etc. I don't know know of an outboard decoder for these. Some PC audio cards have a digital input, which could be used. Most newer HD FTA boxes decode AC3, AAC and maybe more along with the "normal" mpeg audio.

Ok, so I'm guessing you actually mean yes to my question then :).
If I use an external decoder, I'll be able to decode the non scrambled audio.
Both receivers have S/PDIF outputs so I just need an adapter for each receiver.

Since the traxis is just plain junk, I think I'll opt to find a replacement which does the decoding built in, assuming there are some which aren't overly priced.

Thanks.

The only receivers that can decode AC-3 (Dolby digital) in it (no external decoder required) are HD receivers (most.....)

The only receivers that can decode AC-3 (Dolby digital) in it (no external decoder required) are HD receivers (most.....)

Ah, so exactly the type of receiver I ended up thinking I never wanted to see again. I had a hell of a time with the very first receiver I bought, a Sonicview 8000Hd I think it was called. It could output the AC-3 audio but it could not remember where positions were which didn't help.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for something that is reasonably priced, probably used, that doesn't have so many bells and whistles but does the audio.

The Coolsat 8000 is probably one of the most "basic" HD recievers out there but works great
-easy to set up
-easy to scan in channels
-can do DVB-S2
-HD option (and a beautiful picture)
-can output AC-3 audio through both spdif and rca plugs

and can be had for pretty cheap

That's what I'm interested in, a receiver that can pick up the most but not have too many features that's it's too pricey. Went that route before, not going to do it again, it was a waste of money. I prefer getting the basics out of the receiver and the rest from external devices like PVR.

I'll check that out, thanks.

I guess that explains why i get no audio on some channels. For example, with my Coolsat 5000 the PBS channels on AMC21 tp 24 12180 V have no sound.

The Coolsat 5000 itself will not decode Dolby Digital (AC-3), but you can feed the digital audio output (either optical or coaxial, not sure which one is on the 5000) from the Coolsat into an external Dolby Digital decoder. Most modern surround sound audio receivers will decode it, and there is a cheap standalone device (the Sonic Voom surround decoder and headphones) that will if you can find one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)