Visionsat IV-200 and a motor question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Well after selling my Visionsat over a year ago....and started kicking myself about 4-5 months ago for selling it I'm back in the club :)

Guy on Ebay had 2 "mint" Visionsats for sale. Oh a word from the crazy (me) if you are searching for a receiver on Ebay sometimes a search for a model # (not a make) or receiver spelled wrong can get ya a good deal (picked up 2 from same seller and it cost more to ship them than what I got them for) :)

Anywho got them yesterday and I guess his version of "mint" and mine are different. I didnt know that ESPN, CNN, Disney, the sports channels and the adult channels were all free to air. I guess these boxes were "magical". They had a couple scuffs and marks on them from sitting on top of each other but they all seemed to work. Whats weird is the screws to hold the case to the unit are rusted....that makes no sense. Both were in the box and got 2 different remotes (the old one and the new one...the new one is very nice)

I loaded version 1.45 of the software (had to scrounge the site for it) and reset. Hooked up one and it seemed to work but when I tried to use the motor (SG2100) it wouldnt move on a H transponder....will work on vertical. Channels play fine regardless of polarity but it just wont move on a H transponder. I hooked up the 2nd one and while the dish moves on both polarities, when I set up Diseqc if I pick a H transponder and hit "move" the dish moves and wont stop. "Fine move" works so I guess I'll use that to set it up

So has anyone ruin across this where the receiver wont move a dish on the H polarity? The Pansat and Coolsat I had hooked up there worked fine.

On a side note, I hooked up a HDD to it and forgot how much this receiver (even though its SD only) rocks :)

If you have a cheapo meter with the H/V 22KHz ON/OFF indicator LEDs (or look at the motor LED), does the 22KHz LED flicker when in H and a USALS command is issued by the receiver? Also check the voltage output on H / V and be sure that they are within 10% of 18 / 13vdc ratings. Do you see a difference in the two receivers Signal Quality readings when compared on the same transponders for both H and V?

My bet is that this unit was hooked up to a high current drawing DP Quad LNBF and it might have some damage due to the draw. You may have a failing T316 power regulator or a blown capacitor prior to the DiSEqC signal insertion into the tuner. Sometimes a failing component creates noise that drowns out the return DiSEqC signal.

I had a similar thing with my Mercury II and SG2100 motor. I can't remember now exactly which way it was but it would only move the dish on whichever one (H or V) puts out the higher voltage. I had to have a TP that it would work with as the first channel on each sat to get it to move when switching sats. If I was hooked up at the dish though with just a short piece of coax both would work!

command is issued by the receiver? Also check the voltage output on H / V and be sure that they are within 10% of 18 / 13vdc ratings. Do you see a difference in the two receivers Signal Quality readings when compared on the same transponders for both H and V?
they both read identical numbers. Once in a while it will move if I select a H transponder but in most cases its a vertical one as the 1st transponder option. Its my "backup" setup (2nd motorized)

My bet is that this unit was hooked up to a high current drawing DP Quad LNBF and it might have some damage due to the draw. You may have a failing T316 power regulator or a blown capacitor prior to the DiSEqC signal insertion into the tuner. Sometimes a failing component creates noise that drowns out the return DiSEqC signal.
There is no diseqc switch hooked up. Straight shot from receiver to motor to LNB.

I'll try some more testing on it but as long as it moves the dish properly and can record stuff that wil work for me :)

If ya need a regulator and can't find one locally, call me.
I bought some last time SatAV talked about 'em.
If I can find mine, I'll stick one in an envelop and send it right over.

Mine have never had motor moving issues, but both were in fairly new shape. I purchased one from a distinguished member here, and the second one I bought new. They move the motor faster on a horizontal TP, of course, but both polarities work. I have a fairly short (<50 foot) cable run, with no switches between the receivers and the motors.

The Visionsats are incredible receivers, even now with all the new hardware coming out. Both of mine are still in service next to the Openbox.

Last edited:
I think Brian may have given the best answer in regards to possibly being hooked to a high current LNB. Here is what I know

-they previously were used to steal Dish (they still had the channel list in there and version was like 2.XX)
-once in a while using the motor to move on a H polarity works but its maybe 10-20% of the time
-both polarities work fine once I'm on the satellite
-this happens on both units on both of my motorized setups (and the existing receivers that were there worked fine)

I'll crack open the cabinet and see if anything looks out of place

Otherwise this receiver is still one of the nicer ones. I like the timeshift option :)

Hey Bro does this receiver have a Lat and Long setup because that happen to me when I setup my Captiveworks I would drop in the sat position and vroom it just race from one side all the way Lol

when I put in Lat and Long position the unit was stable ...

Its free if they don't encrypt them or free for a while lol... :)

Oh by the way one man treasure can be another mans trash it happen to me on ebay also a few time lol

be Well

Mr.d

Last edited:
I never saw any issues similar to what you described on either of my IV-200s, either the one I purchased new from Brian, or the used hackeroo I bought on Eblob. Both of mine were configured for USALS, and no switches inline.

The only weird thing I ever discovered on my Visionsats were related to trying to use the sleep timer, it seriously freaked the box out, not recommended.

Probably my favorite signal meter, very linear, could blow it up big on the screen, and could set it to beep also.

Did anyone ever come up with a decent channel editor for these?

Hey Bro does this receiver have a Lat and Long setup because that happen to me when I setup my Captiveworks I would drop in the sat position and vroom it just race from one side all the way Lol
I use Diseqc 1.2 but yeah the lat/long is set up

Oh by the way one man treasure can be another mans trash it happen to me on ebay also a few time

yep :)

well I think one has a bigger issue. If you cut the power to the unit (via the switch on the back or unplugging) the unit completely resets :mad:

Had to unplug it to plug it into the surge protector and when I powered it back on I was to the language screen. Put the other one on the motorized and it works fine. Stays fine even if you unplug it

Hey Ice

This may not work, but for a couple minutes work you never know!! Found this through google: Lot's of time on my hands these days, LOL. Supposed to help with resetting and lock-up from hacked file.

Power-off receiver at rear of unit.
- unplug the LNB (coax cable from dish) connection from rear.
- Power up receiver.
- Reset to Factory default (do not go thru setup yet)
- Power-off receiver from rear of unit (again)
- You should be in setup mode (do not go thru setup yet)
- Plug-in USB memory stick with latest IRD file then select download.
- Unit should now accept and complete download and will not be stuck.
- Power off from rear of unit (again).
- Reconnect the LNB cable to rear of IV200.
- Power up the IV200.
- Now complete your setup.

Catamount

Catamount
I hate to bring bad news but I did that right away :) After I noticed it was hackerware in there I found version 1.45 of the software (the last "good" version) and flashed both of them. All I had hooked up was the 7" TV to see the screens. Have done countless master resets and heck one does that if you unplug it from the A/C.

But the other one seems to be working pretty good. Recorded some stuff and did switch off and on and everything still held. Still have the motor/H transponder issue but we'll workaround that :)

Well, I wish you good luck!

I kinda know how you feel. My Conaxsat Trio is my favorite receiver. It does everything the visionsat does. Unfortunately, with only a 1 meter dish in Canada, I have to use a CNX mini on 91 West Cband for reliable signals. It is hard to believe the difference between the two in locking signals with such a small dish. Coolsats/Pansats do nothing for me with the small dish. Hopefully, I'll upgrade the dish some day and put my "fav" receiver back in use.

Good Luck,

Catamount

Sounds like this receiver has a voltage issue.

Try swapping the power supplies. Might be a capacitor failing on the AC board or :eek: on the motherboard. Look for any obvious capacitors with popped tops. Check the voltages on the ribbon cable connecting the AC supply to the motherboard. I recall that the voltages are printed on the board next to each pin on the connector. Look for the +/- 10% variance.

I'll crack it open today. The other unit is working fine other than the motor/H polarity issue ;)

One thing I noticed today is on some feeds (college bb games) if I have the timeshift on the unit slows down massively. Press a button and it takes 2-3 seconds to execute. But turn that option off in the menu and it works fine...weird

well the weirdness continues...the unit that resets when you flip the switch on the back now wont do it.
I hooked it up and it still had the one channel in there I had logged (from my true south)

Scanned in G16 C-Band and unplugged the receiver for 10 minutes...plugged back in and they were all there. I did take off the cover and didnt see any caps bad. I did remove the smart card reader though :)

Ice, possibly there is some sort of internal battery that had been discharged from non-use, and now that you've had it plugged in for awhile, it has recharged and is not resetting when powered down. Just a theory, maybe Brian could confirm the possibility of an internal battery.

Tron
The receiver was plugged in originally for over 24 hours and all I did was unplug it from an outlet and plugged it into the surge protector when it reset. It was unplugged maybe 5 seconds

I unplugged it for over 24 hours (about 30 or so) and plugged it in, scanned G16 then unplugged it and it held

Just plugged it in and the channel list from G16 is still there

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)