SD box still works, but now HD no go - Using SWM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcavaiani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
WI
Getting "cannot detect SWM signal" on the HD box - as I tried the reset. This happened after lost camper power for a few minutes. Nothing else was touched.

Getting "cannot detect SWM signal" on the HD box - as I tried the reset. This happened after lost camper power for a few minutes. Nothing else was touched.
put SD box in place of HD box and see if it works. if so, it likely confirms the cable line is fine and your problem is with the hd box.

Reactions: dcavaiani
As Chip mentioned ...
If you cannot detect the SWM, usually its a Power Insertor that has been unplugged or not operating.
The SWM set up needs the Power Insertor to get power to the LNB, chances are you have a lot of Zeros for signal strength.

The SD box came up fine when I placed it where the HD box was.
Then it's most likely the hd box, but I'd still check the PI and all of your connections. A receiver puts out 18 volts. I have heard of instances where a swm lnb will work for a short period of time without the PI working correctly.

I put the H24-700 back in place, did a Complete reset (formatted the storage device) - still searching for satellite signal. The box has lights, but seems to be the problem. What is the normal procedure to get it replaced (it's leased).

I put the H24-700 back in place, did a Complete reset (formatted the storage device) - still searching for satellite signal. The box has lights, but seems to be the problem. What is the normal procedure to get it replaced (it's leased).
Call and tell the csr that it's dead, won't even come on. Otherwise they will make you go through a series of tests that are unnecessary. They will send a replacement at no cost. If you have the protection plan, there will be no shipping. If not, you may need to pay $20.

Of course the SD box works ...
TRhe SD box is putting out its own 18v thus giving the LNB some voltage, the SD box is now a SWM box, right ?
If it's not, it would probably work fine on its normal voltage.

If the SWM is not putting the voltage out, the SD box is.

It shouldn't work that way, but it may for a little while.

The SD box is part of the SWM setup (which is all I have now) if that is what you mean. It is now connected to the PI (just as the HD box was) , and still working fine.

When the HD box was working, I would switch to certain channels and the TV sound would go off. Had to shut the TV off and back on to get the sound back. Thought maybe the TV was defective. The HD box was HDMI connected and the SD box is now Coax connected to the TV. I see that with the SD box in place, the TV does NOT lose sound now when switching among the DirecTV channels. Was wondering if maybe the HD box was also possibly the culprit for the sound issue as well - and that it has nothing to do with the TV ??

Last edited:
The SD box is part of the SWM setup (which is all I have now) if that is what you mean. It is now connected to the PI (just as the HD box was) , and still working fine.

When the HD box was working, I would switch to certain channels and the TV sound would go off. Had to shut the TV off and back on to get the sound back. Thought maybe the TV was defective. The HD box was HDMI connected and the SD box is now Coax connected to the TV. I see that with the SD box in place, the TV does NOT lose sound now when switching among the DirecTV channels. Was wondering if maybe the HD box was also possibly the culprit for the sound issue as well - and that it has nothing to do with the TV ??
Could well be. When you get a replacement for it you will know.

Talk about QUIRKY!!!! I did not get the overnight of new box, so I tried a few other things with old HD box with the issues. It had been unplugged for a day, and the access card was removed. Put it back together but this time hooked it up with composite cables (not the HDMI as b/4). This time it auto selected SWM LNB 8CH (yesterday only plain SWM was an option and it would NOT let me select that). All came up working fine w/composite. So, I pulled composite and put HDMI back on and it is working fine. Go figure!!

What should I do? On day 2 I received a H24-100 model and the old model seemed like it was actually newer (a H24-700), and the old is working again now ??

The suffix number denotes the manufacturer, not the date it was made. That may be on the id plate, though. I'd thoroughly check the cabling again just to be sure everything is okay. If after a few days nothing screws up, call back and let them know what's up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)