SD channels are too loud !

andyin137

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Lompoc,California
I watch mostly HD channels ,but the few times I turn over to SD channels I have to make sure I have remote handy as the Sound just blasts really loud .Is there a setting on my 722 that can fix this,its just not a little loud ,its very loud.having nieghbors on the next wall in my apartment is the biggest issue with this as I dont want to wake them if I accidently turn to a SD channels and cause sound to BLAST.

your receiver (if it's a 722) may have a setting called volume leveling. or it may have it soon...

look at the audio options.

could you look and let me know???

Last edited:
My TV has a "Level Set" option under Audio. You have to keep the volume level high, but every channel has the same "loudness".

The problem described above has been very bothersome for me since the latest edition of the software for my 722. I checked to see if my TV has a level set option under audio, and it doesn't seem to have one (that I can find, anyway). The 722 also seems to have no fix.

The latest version of the software has fixed a couple of problems, however.

Thanks for the comments, folks, I was afraid my TV was the culprit in this affair. I now consider the culprit to be the Dish software (to the extent there is one). I know KAB said it was "normal" SD vs. HD sound, but even so one would think this is something Dish could address in some way.:confused:

Regards, Fitzie

I get around this by only watching HD stations. Yeah I know it is somewhat limiting, but I can really say that just about every channel I usually watch is in HD. Once BBCA gets finally added I cannot think of any channels I watch on a regular basis that is not in HD.

This has been discussed

The problem described above has been very bothersome for me since the latest edition of the software for my 722. I checked to see if my TV has a level set option under audio, and it doesn't seem to have one (that I can find, anyway). The 722 also seems to have no fix.

The latest version of the software has fixed a couple of problems, however.

Thanks for the comments, folks, I was afraid my TV was the culprit in this affair. I now consider the culprit to be the Dish software (to the extent there is one). I know KAB said it was "normal" SD vs. HD sound, but even so one would think this is something Dish could address in some way.:confused:

Regards, Fitzie

This is something that has been discussed to death. It isn't the 722 it's the channels themselves. The audio for SD channels is like the standard NTSC analog channels they have limited audio dynamics where as the HD channels use AC-3 & Dolby Digital and have a very wide dynamic range. So that is the real crux of the issue it isn't E* at all. It is what is being supplied to them.

I watch mostly HD channels ,but the few times I turn over to SD channels I have to make sure I have remote handy as the Sound just blasts really loud ...

If you are changing the channel over to an sd station, why would you need to make sure to have the remote handy. How would you change the channel without the remote already in your hand? I don't see getting much more handy than that... :confused: ;) :D

I also hate that the SD channels are so loud. I wish they would apply a feature that you can set the audio's to be the same level.

This is something that has been discussed to death. It isn't the 722 it's the channels themselves. The audio for SD channels is like the standard NTSC analog channels they have limited audio dynamics where as the HD channels use AC-3 & Dolby Digital and have a very wide dynamic range. So that is the real crux of the issue it isn't E* at all. It is what is being supplied to them.

Thanks whatchel1 for the additional comment. I hadn't read any of the previous discussion because I hadn't noticed the problem before.

While I know the problem is not one created by Dish, what I was trying to suggest was that it would be nice if Dish would put an audio limiter in the 722 by way of a software fix, so that if the viewer switches from an HD program to an SD one the audio limiter would not let the sound go up more than 10% or so. It's too late for me to bemoan the fact my TV doesn't have something of that nature. Maybe I'll be able to figure out a work-around of some kind, although that's certainly problematic.

Best regards, Fitzie

The only thing I have seen that you can do is turn all audio to PCM only in your dish reciever. THen all the stations are about the same but you won't get any dolby digital 5.1 sound on the hd stations. But the sound is more level on all channels.

Beader,

Yes I have,

System Setup -> =

1- Installation
2- Shared View
3- Diagnostics
4- Caller ID History
5- Purchase History
6- Dolby Digital
7- HDTV Setup
9- Local Channels
0- Cancel

I see no Audio setting.

There is also no audio setting in Dolby Digital or HDTV Setup.

So maybe you could tell us what magical DVR you have that has this option?

I have a 622 with Software L622.

Yes, that I know,

But that's not what Beader implied. I don't want PCM only. I want 5.1 and full surround sound on HD. Beader implied there was a new Audio setting directly under System Setup.

enabling PL 2 helped a bit on my receiver, its not as loud as it used to be

There are 2 settings to the right of the dolby and pcm setting. I think it's RF and Line in. RF works better than the other. Try that.

If you are changing the channel over to an sd station, why would you need to make sure to have the remote handy. How would you change the channel without the remote already in your hand? I don't see getting much more handy than that... :confused: ;) :D
You're kidding, right? My remote won't adjust volume on my surround sound receiver (and cannot be configure to do so for my brand), so I have to use a separate remote for the audio. Not too handy.:confused:;):D

... rab