SD Channels Go Dark?

CrimsonKnightDX

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 19, 2015
Mile High
Anyone know why SD Channels still exist? To me it seems HD is pretty much the standard anymore. I don't see any SD televisions being sold. I assume if Dish and other providers eliminated the SD duplicates, they would have more bandwidth for HD channels and wouldn't have to mess around with HD-Lite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are tens of thousands of customers out there who don't have HD receivers or HD televisions. I guess Dish could require them to buy new TV's. Or better yet, Dish could make their other customers pay for providing new HD TV's for these customers.

There are tens of thousands of customers out there who don't have HD receivers or HD televisions. I guess Dish could require them to buy new TV's. Or better yet, Dish could make their other customers pay for providing new HD TV's for these customers.

Or, Dish could just quit giving people receivers that can't convert HD to SD. Seriously, how can anyone even stand having a non-DVR receiver anymore?

It has nothing to do with the physical sets. Dish could eliminate all SD channels by replacing all SD receivers that their customers have and simply set them up to downconvert to 480i resolution. That's easier said than done, of course.

Not tens of thousands. Millions...4 to 5 I would guess.
A quick Google search says, according to Nielsen, that there are 115,000,000 TVs in the US. I was thinking that your estimate was way low, actually. I was going to say 20-30 million were non-HDTV sets but more Googling shows "nearly 60%", "75% of homes", "about 72% of TV sets" (are HDTVs). Depending on which % you like, the numbers range from 28 million to 46 million.

211 should be the base receiver today 722 or Hopper if subs want dvr. Dish should have stopped sending out 311 and 625's years ago.

I tried not to laugh, when I was looking at a house I was thinking about buying last week. A nice big 25in console tv with matching side speakers, sitting in the middle of the living room with a cable box on it.

I tried not to laugh, when I was looking at a house I was thinking about buying last week. A nice big 25in console tv with matching side speakers, sitting in the middle of the living room with a cable box on it.

Wow OSU. Does the TV convey? :D

It has nothing to do with the physical sets. Dish could eliminate all SD channels by replacing all SD receivers that their customers have and simply set them up to downconvert to 480i resolution. That's easier said than done, of course.

A quick Google search says, according to Nielsen, that there are 115,000,000 TVs in the US. I was thinking that your estimate was way low, actually. I was going to say 20-30 million were non-HDTV sets but more Googling shows "nearly 60%", "75% of homes", "about 72% of TV sets" (are HDTVs). Depending on which % you like, the numbers range from 28 million to 46 million.
Hall, my "guess" was based on approximate Dish subscribers, not the world as a whole.

Actually, believe it or not, there are still people on this Earth who have a life that doesn't revolve around a television set. Hope that adequately answers your question.

I don't think having a DVR means your life revolves around the TV, but I'm sure it helps a hell of a lot of you're away from it and need to catch up on your favorite tv show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are still people that record to VCR or folks with the 211 that records to an EHD, or a DVD. That all said, that has nothing to do with the original question of who watches SD instead of HD. Those same people that frankly don't care and use TV as background noise. My godmother is one of those. Her and her husband both stay busy doing a bunch of stuff, and then come and watch their 311 on their old school CRT and are happy as can be with it. They don't want to buy a new one, and honestly do not care about HD at all. I'm willing to bet there are a lot of those in satellite customers, in rural areas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts