SD Channels Go Dark?

Hall, my "guess" was based on approximate Dish subscribers, not the world as a whole.
Ahhh, makes sense. I've seen numbers thrown around similar to your estimate for Dish. That lines up with the % of HDTVs used nationwide too.... So Dish customers are perfectly "typical" when it comes to HDTV. ;)

I'm surprised the government hasn't started a program where people with the older pre-HD TVs that is only SD can be paid by the government by trading their old TV with a cheap 720p or 1080p/1080i HDTV TV. It should had happened during the DTV transition of 2009 where the old analog SD TV signals where shut down to go all digital.

I'm surprised the government hasn't started a program where people with the older pre-HD TVs that is only SD can be paid by the government by trading their old TV with a cheap 720p or 1080p/1080i HDTV TV. It should had happened during the DTV transition of 2009 where the old analog SD TV signals where shut down to go all digital.
Instead, the government supplied boxes that would receive the new digital signal that could be ported to the old TVs. A lot less expensive than the government replacing TVs. BTW there are still many SD signals on the digital stream OTA. There was no government mandate to go full HD, just digital channels....

I read an article that said over 85% percent of the TV households in the US have at least 1 HDTV, but less than 40% actually watch HD programing on them. I had a co-worker that bought a new 70" HDTV and was wondering why the picture was so bad. He had a SD receiver connected with a composite video cable. My brother-in-law had a 65" HDTV and a HD receiver, which was set for 480i. I changed it to 1080i and he said "WOW, I didn't know the TV could look that good". I think a lot of people don't know what HD is supposed to look like.

I've been in and out of a TON of hospitals, Dr's offices, Nursing Homes....ALL with HDTVS in every room...showing the less costly SD content from their local cable Co's. Thousands of wasted televisions!!!

I've been in and out of a TON of hospitals, Dr's offices, Nursing Homes....ALL with HDTVS in every room...showing the less costly SD content from their local cable Co's. Thousands of wasted televisions!!!

Were these SD channels picture-framed as well? That's the obscenity I see at my local HMO.

Of course they were! They wasted SOOOOO much money, in the relative early HD days for nothing. Would been better of buying a butt load of converter boxes and kept the 10-20 yr old TVs they already had.

I was trying to make a joke after reading OSU write this:
I tried not to laugh, when I was looking at a house I was thinking about buying last week. A nice big 25in console tv with matching side speakers, sitting in the middle of the living room with a cable box on it.

The humor about getting this TV by buying the house was supposed to be that OSU (I am sure) didn't want anything to do with that 25" console SDTV with matching side speakers. I wouldn't either. You probably couldn't give it away.

Sigh. When you explain a joke, it's no longer funny. :(

The humor about getting this TV by buying the house was supposed to be that OSU (I am sure) didn't want anything to do with that 25" console SDTV with matching side speakers. I wouldn't either. You probably couldn't give it away.

I got it... But you're explanation was ironically funny too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheKrell
I read an article that said over 85% percent of the TV households in the US have at least 1 HDTV, but less than 40% actually watch HD programing on them. I had a co-worker that bought a new 70" HDTV and was wondering why the picture was so bad. He had a SD receiver connected with a composite video cable. My brother-in-law had a 65" HDTV and a HD receiver, which was set for 480i. I changed it to 1080i and he said "WOW, I didn't know the TV could look that good". I think a lot of people don't know what HD is supposed to look like.

Both SAD, but both so so true. :oldno

The explanation was funny too :D

Reactions: TheKrell
You could use that 25" console for target practice, of course the worst part will be getting that thing out of the house, no telling how much it weighs.

Well my SKS would make short work of the target practice part, but I lifted my last CRT years ago. We had a 32in Sony CRT on the top shelf of my dads garage, that my brother in law and I lifted 8ft off the ground to get it up there about 9-10 yrs ago. Needless to say it was sold with the house last year, when my dad downsized to a smaller townhome with no maintenance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)