SD Channels Go Dark?

...of course the worst part will be getting that thing out of the house, no telling how much it weighs.
I see old "tube" TVs listed/posted in garage-sale type groups on Facebook all the time. Many are free with "you must pick up, bring a strong friend with you" notes included ! Others try and sell them - they just can't accept the fact that it cost them $300 (17) years ago so they expect something in return, not to mention the fact that in all reality, no one wants them. They often say it would be "great for the kid's room" or "a great basement TV" or even "good for playing video games on".

Our garbage collection company will take them with regular trash as long as they're under a certain size, like 25" or so. I suspect that's for weight reasons alone as it's normally just (1) guy collecting and (1) guy driving and while they can be heavy, they're lopsided and hard to pick up.

You could use that 25" console for target practice, of course the worst part will be getting that thing out of the house, no telling how much it weighs.
Which is why I still have a perfectly good 36" CRT TV in my rec room. I'd love somebody to cart it away- I just don't want to ever lift it myself again. Great TV, great picture, just SD. A shame.

Maybe I can get my son to help and lift it into the pickup bed. Then I just need to find where I can dump it in Fairfax County VA.

I'll be keeping my HD CRT Samsung for a while still. Weight is one of the factors.

I use to have a toshiba 27" CRT HDTV 1080i for the longest time. We moved 3-4 times with that TV. It had this awful grid on the bottom which hurt like hell. Every time you move it once you set it down you had a bunch of lines on your hand from where the TV dug into to your skin. Awful. Glad that thing is gone. I think my 58 inch Samsung plasma TV is still lighter. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It probably cost more than that for a full wood console model. Most major brand plastic-bodied 25" would cost more than $300 at that time.
I vaguely recall buying a 27" Toshiba way back in the late 90's and you're right, it was more in the $500-600 range. We still had it, either taking up space in the basement or garage, until a few years ago. My son and I loaded it into our van to take to a donation place and our neighbor saw us.... She asked if we could do the same with hers, except it was a 32" !! She couldn't even move the thing, let alone get it out to her car, so we took it for her. It weighed close to 150#.

It had this awful grid on the bottom which hurt like hell. Every time you move it once you set it down you had a bunch of lines on your hand from where the TV dug into to your skin.
I know exactly what you're talking about !!

I think my 58 inch Samsung plasma TV is still lighter.
Do plasmas weigh more ? We've got a 50-inch LED and it weighs nothing compared to a CRT. I'm guessing it's ~30.

My 4 yr old 50in Plasma in my bedroom weighs 60lbs. The 65in LED my dad just got 2 months ago, also weighed 60lbs.

They charge to dispose of CRT's around here, if you go to any of the recycling places. $15 for computer monitors and I think it's $30 for tv's. I don't think the City's bulk pickup will take tv's either unless you pay the recycling fee. Just like with refrigerators, the City's bulk item pickup won't take them, unless you have had them discharged and stamped by a certified Freon removal company.

I've taken a few things to BestBuy for recycling, the rest I just take to the County's Metropolitan Recycling dropoff for electronics.

Working in IT, I can just leave electronics items outside my office door for removal. The last thing I disposed of was a dead UPS battery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)