SD Channels not as clear as they should be? Also: Is card as clear as box?

fiddysheqel

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
First post, been lurking for a while...
Quick 2 questions: I hav a 4200HD box and the SD channels are certainly not as clear as they should be. my cousin, who has the DVR box, definitely has clearer SD channels than I. Now, i know its not the tv because HD is superb, so what should i do?
Question 2: If i order a card which goes directly into the TV (rather than the box), will it be as clear and as fast as a 4250HD box? What are the positives or negatives of the card?

i would keep the box and move up to a 4250hd because it should be better than the 4200 because its newer

-plus with the cablecard you lose all the ondemand stuff and im not sure if thats important to u but im just throwing that out there.

the card means you will get nothing. if you use your interactive program guide and all the features associated with the io button on your remote currently, you will not have access to these features. All a cable card does is save space. Also, you have to specify which channels are clearer on your cousins, not all channels are digital yet in cv's lineup, also depends on the tv.

i didnt mean that the sd channels arent as nice as the hd channels. thats a given. what i meant to say was that the sd channels are not as clear as they should be, while on my cousins it is much clearer. All channels besides the HD channels are clearer. for example most notably channel 142 (fox soccer channel). And since my hd channels are clear and very nice i know that its not the tv and it has to be the box.

with the cable card, do u have the "settings" button to be able to set predetermined record VCR times or is that also not in it?

thanks for all your help

And since my hd channels are clear and very nice i know that its not the tv and it has to be the box.

Actually it sounds more like the tv then the box. The SD signal will be processed differently by your TV then the HD signal. Also, if you and your cousin have different brand and model TVs, you can not compare their SD signal performance. They will definately be processed differently.

If you want to make sure though, try connecting a VCR to your TV and check the SD signal or bring your cousins box over to your house and see what happens.

with the cable card, do u have the "settings" button to be able to set predetermined record VCR times or is that also not in it?

No. That function is built into the cable box. There is no "settings" button because you don't get or need a CV remote. All the cable card does is descramble encripted channels so that they can be viewed through the TV's digital tuner. You use your TV's remote and any functions built in to the TV.

wow! ok so forget the cable card then... i thought at least it would have something but its fully stripped.

reply to mkm4: yeh the tv's are different so i guess it IS possible its the tv. in fact now that i think of it my other cousin got a phillips (which i have) also and the sd channels arent as clear as they should be/previously were. is there a known problem with phillips tv's? is there anyway i can check if its at its best output? like a screen setting of some sort?
thanks for the help so far

If you can afford it, you can have the tv professionally calibrated, but that might not solve the problem.

You might want to ask in the Television Sets and Projectors forum instead of here though.

Cablecards have the cleariest picture you will get through cable.

Unless you use a bunch of ondemand stuff, i have no idea why anyone wouldnt use one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)