SD DVR40- Does this REQUIRE Tivo sub?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MarkG

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Need to know if the SD DVR40 requires a Tivo subscription to use. Cant get a straight answer from customer service. I just want to replace my existing single receiver and want to just use this as simple timer recorder to replace a vcr.I am not interested in Tivo service. 2 different Direct TV reps told me different things. Ones says it can be used as recorder without Tivo sub,but will not have full features of Tivo services. Another tells me that it requires "DVR service fee" in addition to my current monthly charges. She did not call it "Tivo" but said to use this unit in any capacity requires extra monthly fee,even if it REPLACES my current receiver. Whats the real scoop on this?
Also,does the second receiver in this unit that provides the record one /watch another feature,count as a real 2nd receiver with an extra monthly fee? Advise please,,thanks.

It will definately NOT record ANYTHING without a Tivo sub. (I'm not sure if you can even pause live TV, either) ALL the integrated D-Tivo's, regardless of brand, are like this. Both tuners should work, though, without any extra fees. (unless this is a 2nd or more receiver on your account - then the regular $5 would apply. BUT, since you would NOT be able to do ANY recording, what IS the point of having 2 tuners in the same box???

Do you have this unit confused with one of the other Tivo/DVD combos, that DON'T require Tivo service to work. (free Tivo basic is what it's called, which pretty much works the way you were asking for) BUT, you also DON'T get the 2 satellite tuners integrated WITH the Tivo in the same box. Frankly, you really owe it to try it out - you would realize that it would be the best $5 a month you ever spent.

Look at it this way - it seems you were wanting 2 tuners anyway, so that you could watch & record 2 different channels at once. If you added on a standard 2nd D* receiver to use with a VCR, it would STILL cost you $5 more a month. By going with a D-Tivo as your only receiver, you ARE getting 2 tuners, but also getting ALL Tivo functionality, for NO more monthly cost vs 2 standard receivers.

If you want to record - at all - you need to pay for the DVR service ($4.99. or free if you have Total Choice Premiere).

There will be the standard Additional Receiver fee of $4.99 for each receiver after the first, but you're replacing a receiver so thats largely irrelevant.

Thanks folks,I think I get the idea now. $4.99 Mo extra really isnt bad for those features and the DVR itself seems pretty cheap. And yes I was considering either the Sharp,or Panasonic DVD recorder with a harddrive,(no TIVO). I have seen the Pioneer /w Tivo,but cost of unit itself is almost $700 ! Just have to decide my preference for now. DVD burner or simultaneous record/watch. Thanks again for info.

MarkG said:
Thanks folks,I think I get the idea now. $4.99 Mo extra really isnt bad for those features and the DVR itself seems pretty cheap. And yes I was considering either the Sharp,or Panasonic DVD recorder with a harddrive,(no TIVO). I have seen the Pioneer /w Tivo,but cost of unit itself is almost $700 ! Just have to decide my preference for now. DVD burner or simultaneous record/watch. Thanks again for info.
That Pioneer is the best SD TiVo on the market though ... in two years you will being to see all DVR's with a DVD burner built in, right now this is a premium feature ... which is why so many hack the TiVo.

directv dvr w/o sub.

Without a subscription you cannot record or rate programs. You can pause live TV. DIRECTV will charge for a second receiver if both inputs are used.

Paying the $4.95 Tivo fee is worth every penny. I've been able to watch 6 hours of olympics in 45 minutes on a nightly basis.

Whomever said time couldn't be invented didn't have Tivo.

No Tivo Here. I just want a digital VCR

I want the subscription. I don't have cable, Direct TV, digital cable, etc. to mess with programing, etc. I just want a machine that functions like my VCR with far more than 6 hours of recording time. I'm sure this concept just stupifies Tivo, but maybe you guys have a reasonable solution or options a part from getting a used Tivo machine on Ebay.

- texassy

"we don't need no stinking badges"

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

If you have a little knowledge of a PC, and the right equipment (i.e. TV Tuner card) then you can always turn your PC into a digital VCR per say.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)