SD or HD?

laman400

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
My wife and I are both retired, living on a fixed income from social security and a few investments. We have been watching SD TV for over 50 years and quite frankly just can't afford the cost of new HD equipment, and the added cost of subscribing to the HD package on Dish or any other provider. My son in Dallas has a huge HD setup in a room he designed especially for his HD theater setup. It is an amazing experience to see. I have been wondering for quite some time exactly what percent of the population is in the same boat we are. Simply unable to be able to afford the upgrade to HD TV. What do you guys see as the future of SD TV and will the population that cannot afford HD TV upgrades still be able to enjoy TV broadcasts in SD for the forseeable future. I'm interested in what most of you see in the future for TV broadcasts in the US and do you see satellite providers like Dish continuing to serve the SD population as they do now in the future? Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matte

IMO, I don't think SD is going away anytime soon. I would say relax and enjoy your SD TV. HD is great and all but it will be stupid for any provider just to remove SD in the future, not everyone can afford HD.

It's interesting you mention 50 years ago. I remember my best friend's parents and my uncle both bought their first color TVs then and they spent between 500 - 600 "1956 dollars". I don't feeling doing the research but I bet 500 "1956 dollars" is enough for a pretty big flat panel plasma HDTV in 2007 dollars.

One other thing, though you didn't mention where you lived, if you are in any city of decent size, you will be able to get all your local stations in HD for nothing but adding an inexpensive outdoor antenna. And the picture will be incredible with no "ghosting" or interference like we all had to deal with in the 50's.

I think you need to find someone who pinches pennies like my wife and I and get a nice, but thrifty HD setup. Before Christmas I'll bet you will be able to get a flat screen as big as your current tube set for less than 600 "2007 dollars".

As a final thought, buying an HDTV doesn't mean you HAVE to subscribe to Dish HD. You'll have free HD locals and the best picture you've ever seen of your SD Dish channels. After a year of that you might revise your spending priorities and decide the 20 dollar HD fee gets you a great return for your investment. If you still don't want to spend the money you'll still have a great TV set.

My wife and I are both retired, living on a fixed income from social security and a few investments. We have been watching SD TV for over 50 years and quite frankly just can't afford the cost of new HD equipment, and the added cost of subscribing to the HD package on Dish or any other provider. My son in Dallas has a huge HD setup in a room he designed especially for his HD theater setup. It is an amazing experience to see. I have been wondering for quite some time exactly what percent of the population is in the same boat we are. Simply unable to be able to afford the upgrade to HD TV. What do you guys see as the future of SD TV and will the population that cannot afford HD TV upgrades still be able to enjoy TV broadcasts in SD for the forseeable future. I'm interested in what most of you see in the future for TV broadcasts in the US and do you see satellite providers like Dish continuing to serve the SD population as they do now in the future? Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this matte

If you live close enough to a large population center, you probably have access to the over the air HD broadcast channels. All you need is a $25 UHF antenna and then ask your son to get you an affordable 32 inch LCD tv. This way, you can enjoy a little HD now and then but not have to pay a fortune.

Don't worry, you can always watch an HD signal on an SD set too. Not that it will be in HD, but if theoretically some channel shut down its SD feed, you could still watch it.

I think you need to find someone who pinches pennies like my wife and I and get a nice, but thrifty HD setup. Before Christmas I'll bet you will be able to get a flat screen as big as your current tube set for less than 600 "2007 dollars".
Olevia 532h 32-inch LCD HDTV (same size SD picture as a 27" SD set), Consumer Reports best buy, with built-in HD/SD tuner, can be had for $579 delivered.
Look for sales on this TV at Circuit City and Target.

Luxury Item

I happen to be a cheapskate by nature and I think that HD as great as it is, for the price is somewhat of a luxury item. There will come a time in the future where costs come down and all channels will be broadcast in HD.

A lot of older tv's have composite (rca) connections on them. I have an RCA bought over 7 years ago has them and the Sharp tv I gave my sister when I got the RCA had them as well.

I was being a smart-a** and I'm sorry but what I meant to imply is that additional equipment will be needed to watch HD transmissions on SD sets; either cable or sat or a set-top converter but in all cases *something is needed* to change digital signals to analog signals of a kind old TV sets can deal with.

Correct, but in terms of ATSC, I believe the FCC said there would be a tuner released for around $50 and two $40 rebate cards would be offered to anyone who asked.

I install many HD receivers on all size of tvs and am not all that thrilled about the picture quality where it warrants me to spend a grand on a new HD tv. my 37" SD tv has a perfectly clear picture with dish and I really don't watch tv much except in the winter. I am going to wait until I have to switch.

Correct, but in terms of ATSC, I believe the FCC said there would be a tuner released for around $50 and two $40 rebate cards would be offered to anyone who asked.

I hadn't heard of this. If it comes off as you said the burden will be greatly reduced for the poorest among us.

I always figured that cable companies would continue to offer analog SD for some fairly long term after broadcasters had to convert to digital. It stands to reason CCs would seek to continue making money off their obsolete plants for as long as possible. But I can't see them replacing any worn out analog equipment after the mandatory broadcast changeover.

Last edited:
IMO, HD is not a luxury.. it is just another choice for your entertainment dollar. You could get a $200 HD DVD player at a one time cost and rent HD DVD's. I have friends that use dialup internet, but have a home theater HD setup. They only use their computer to check email, so they don't feel broadband should bite into their entertainment budget, but they love watching movies and sporting events, and rarely go to the movies etc. All that aside, I personally feel unless you are going to also invest in a 42" or larger TV, SD is your best choice for your entertainment dollar anyway.

I always figured that cable companies would continue to offer analog SD for some fairly long term after broadcasters had to convert to digital. It stands to reason CCs would seek to continue making money off their obsolete plants for as long as possible. Bit I can't see them replacing any worn out analog equipment after the mandatory broadcast changeover.

I think that they're required now to shut down analog cable by December 1, 2009 also. Will find the link later.

I think that they're required now to shut down analog cable by December 1, 2009 also. Will find the link later.

If true that will be the second thing I learn from this thread.

I thought those not transmitting through the ether were more "government interference" proof.

There is NO requirement about cable at all. The digital transition is totally Over The Air. Cable companies can do whatever they wish within their franchise contract. Most are leaning toward digital because they can cram 3-4 channels where one analog fits and all they have to do is provide each customer with a Set Top Box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts