SD to HD uplink timeframe?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MitGSX97

Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
My local CBS station (KMVT - Twin Falls, ID) finally turned on their HD feed the other day.

How long does it usually take Dish to switch from the SD feed to an HD feed in this situation?

Thanks!

There will be both an HD and SD feed. The HD version should appear in the ALL HD guide. If not, call Dish.

EDIT. I initially though you meant Dish added the HD station. Whatchel is correct.

Last edited:
contracts

My local CBS station (KMVT - Twin Falls, ID) finally turned on their HD feed the other day.

How long does it usually take Dish to switch from the SD feed to an HD feed in this situation?

Thanks!

I depends. It has to do w/contracts tween the 2. Some allow HD and some have to be renegotiated.

Not trying to be funny, could be any amount of time ranging between "next week" and "several years"

Here in Houston KTXH My 20, KUHT PBS 8 and ION KPXB 49 have been HD for sometime...

BUT

Not on Dish they aren't.

The retransmission agreements may include bundling of other HD stations, too.

Here in Seattle, we have KOMO (ABC) and KIRO (CBS) on Dish in HD, just by themselves.

Then, we have the other two network stations KCPQ (Fox) and KING (NBC) which have insisted that Dish carry minor stations that are also owned by the major stations owners. KCPQ and KMYQ are co-owned. KING and KONG are co-owned.

It's important for KCPQ that Dish carries it in Seattle, because the over the air signal is not available to large parts of Seattle due to the location of their transmitter (Bremerton). KCPQ carries the Seattle Seahawks football games, which people enjoy for those few times per year that the Seahawks actually win. As part of the negotiations a couple of years ago, KCPQ insisted that Dish carry their also-owned station KMYQ. There was a handbags-at-dawn fight that kept KCPQ off of Dish for a while (IIRC).

The owners of KING also own independent station KONG. KONG shows a lot of local sports, and is also used for overflow programming from KING. For example, a few years ago, KONG carried Seahawks pre-season games which KING couldn't carry due to the Olympics. KONG also carries an additional evening newscast at 10pm. While I don't remember a slap fight between KING and Dish, clearly they negotiated to carry HD feeds of both KING and KONG.

Who knows what the details of the negotiations were, but we ended up with six HD locals feeds, rather than just four.

The retransmission agreements may include bundling of other HD stations, too.

Here in Seattle, we have KOMO (ABC) and KIRO (CBS) on Dish in HD, just by themselves.

Then, we have the other two network stations KCPQ (Fox) and KING (NBC) which have insisted that Dish carry minor stations that are also owned by the major stations owners. KCPQ and KMYQ are co-owned. KING and KONG are co-owned.

It's important for KCPQ that Dish carries it in Seattle, because the over the air signal is not available to large parts of Seattle due to the location of their transmitter (Bremerton). KCPQ carries the Seattle Seahawks football games, which people enjoy for those few times per year that the Seahawks actually win. As part of the negotiations a couple of years ago, KCPQ insisted that Dish carry their also-owned station KMYQ. There was a handbags-at-dawn fight that kept KCPQ off of Dish for a while (IIRC).

The owners of KING also own independent station KONG. KONG shows a lot of local sports, and is also used for overflow programming from KING. For example, a few years ago, KONG carried Seahawks pre-season games which KING couldn't carry due to the Olympics. KONG also carries an additional evening newscast at 10pm. While I don't remember a slap fight between KING and Dish, clearly they negotiated to carry HD feeds of both KING and KONG.

Who knows what the details of the negotiations were, but we ended up with six HD locals feeds, rather than just four.

This post has me wanting to watch an old King Kong movie.

Now, to give some insight into the OP's question...

Dish has carried my locals for years and they are still SD only. They have been offered OTA in HD in my market for many months before the analog cutoff. Dish even uplinked the HD versions to EA a couple of months ago, but they still are not available.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the HD version to be on Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)