Seahawks playbook broadcasted

phokus

May 22, 2004
Did anyone else notice during last night's Seahawks-Saints game on NBC that the cameraman zoomed in on Holmgren's playbook? They showed him from the front covering his lips with the laminated sheet and then cut to a shot looking over his shoulder for a few seconds, cropped directly on the sheet, where details were clearly readable. I only have a 32" HDTV and after pausing on the shot was able to read most of the text on his sheet.

I was really surprised to see something like this happen, especially since the Belichick flap. I'd assume that the play sheet changes with each game, but since there was still significant game time left, it's feasible that an enterprising Saints cohort could have relayed all that information directly to the bench. I'm also surprised that neither Madden/Michaels nor the press has said anything about it.

I saw it, but I don't see what anyone could have gained from seeing it. I didn't take the time to pause or anything else, but did it have player names or just sorting by play/yardage/down etc?

So what if they know there is play called "32 double dog gap" ? It's not like they know what play is called with each formation.

Again, maybe I am missing something as when I saw it, thought about it, then figured that just simply seeing play calls and color scheme circles on certain plays wasn't a big issue.

Wish I would've grabbed a screenshot but I do recall seeing various colors, number of times each play had been called, and certain players' names were attached such as one that said "Seneca" along with a number. It would take someone with some familiarity with their schemes to decipher but I do think that having that information available during a game could be an advantage.

Have you watched the last several Seahawk's performances? :mad: :( :mad: Hopefully Allen will trash Holmgren and the playbook to start from scratch.

That would make this a non issue.

jagarrison, you might be the definition of the term "lurker". Supporting founder since march 2004 and only 22 posts! Why so quiet?

This is not uncommon at all...especially for the coaches like Holmgren who use the sheet to cover their mouth when they speak into their headset.

The sheet is only a "Cheat sheet" that puts a number on each play that is in the play book. So if a coach wants to call a play that is a "Boot-leg flanker center screen", on the coaches sheet he will have a number assigned to it like 12. He calls "12" into the headset which is transmitted to the QB and the QB looks up 12 on his wrist band and see that the play is "Boot-leg flanker center screen".

And they will change the cheat sheets and wrist bands at least three times during a game.

How do we know it is the correct sheet anyway? It could be a diversion, LOL. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)