Searching for Satellite Signal when switch to HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ARussell10

Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
I've had DTV for 3 years and currently have 8 tv's set up with a 5 LNB dish -- some with HD and some without. I recently switched out a non-HD receiver for an HD one (from another room) and also switched the tv's to an HD plasma, connecting it with an HDMI cable. Now, the room that now has the HD setup is constantly searching for satellite signal. I have tried resetting, ensured all the cables are connected properly (and tightly), and calling customer service and nothing is working.

The dish is located on top of the house and I have 2 Zinwell 6x8 (non-powered, non-amplified) multiswitches running in series to hook up the whole system (due to DVR usage). This setup was put in by the DTV guy when the dish was upgraded to the 5 LNB. I'm curious what ideas you all have to solve this. The new HD room is on the 3rd floor...could the distance be factoring into this?

Thanks,
AR

Not at first, but I did eventually move the b band converter and it still isn't working.

Check your signal strengths on the one you are having problems with and one of the ones you are not - could be that the one you are having issues with is either too long of a cable run, has a poor connection somewhere or a sharp bend in the coax. Make sure that all cable is RG6 too.

You might do some troubleshooting of the line and switch by changing this room's feed from the multiswitch to another port. If that didn't make a difference in either feed, that would narrow it down to the run from the switch to that room.

The Zinwell WB68s are not recommended to be connected in series (cascaded.) The installer did it at my house, also, and it is working, but if I do have problems, I know what to suspect.

The proper way to connect two of them is by using power-passing splitters to connect them in parallel with each other.

The longer the cable run, the more likely you will have problems with cascaded WB68s, because the switching voltage must go thru all that cable plus two passive switches to reach the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)