Searching for signal on satellite in 2 (771)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sobonefnet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
PA
OK. I have a SWM8 set up. With 2 HR-22's.

TV downstairs works flawlessly.

TV upstairs - I will be watching something and POOF picture is gone.

with this error : Searching for signal on satellite in 2 (771)

what is the problem????

all right - here's something that may (or may not) work for you.

I'm a new sub and every night since the install date, I'd get error 771 on certain channels, saying it was searching for a signal on tuner 2.

I finally called D* on Friday. They had me check all my signal levels and they determined some were running a little low. A tech came out yesterday, realigned the dish but we still had lowish levels. He replaced the b-band converters - still low. He finally deduced that the signal coming in from the LNB's was "too strong", cut a 50 foot piece cable and ran that between the wall and the receiver (with the 49 feet being coiled behind the tv). Instantly, all the transponders jumped to the mid-high 90's with no errors or pixelization on any channel last night.

all right - here's something that may (or may not) work for you.

I'm a new sub and every night since the install date, I'd get error 771 on certain channels, saying it was searching for a signal on tuner 2.

I finally called D* on Friday. They had me check all my signal levels and they determined some were running a little low. A tech came out yesterday, realigned the dish but we still had lowish levels. He replaced the b-band converters - still low. He finally deduced that the signal coming in from the LNB's was "too strong", cut a 50 foot piece cable and ran that between the wall and the receiver (with the 49 feet being coiled behind the tv). Instantly, all the transponders jumped to the mid-high 90's with no errors or pixelization on any channel last night.

For your sake I hope it continues to work. Which receiver are you using?

Bill

For your sake I hope it continues to work. Which receiver are you using?

Bill

hr-21
I've seen posts here and there about the signal 2 problem but no one ever came up with an explanation or problem. And hearing the installer say the signal was 'too strong' was a little surprising - it never occurred to me that that'd ever be a problem. 12 years as a E* sub and and I never heard of a signal being too strong. He said D* is aware that some of the LNB's are putting out too strong of a signal and are 'working on' the problem. In the meantime, 50' of cable is the solution.

I had originally thought it was a defective LNB being affected by the cold of the night air, since the problems would start with pixelization in the early evening and progress to total signal loss later in the night. Around sunrise, the pixelization returned with a good signal coming back by late morning.....

hr-21
I've seen posts here and there about the signal 2 problem but no one ever came up with an explanation or problem. And hearing the installer say the signal was 'too strong' was a little surprising - it never occurred to me that that'd ever be a problem. 12 years as a E* sub and and I never heard of a signal being too strong. He said D* is aware that some of the LNB's are putting out too strong of a signal and are 'working on' the problem. In the meantime, 50' of cable is the solution.

I had originally thought it was a defective LNB being affected by the cold of the night air, since the problems would start with pixelization in the early evening and progress to total signal loss later in the night. Around sunrise, the pixelization returned with a good signal coming back by late morning.....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-technical-discussions/158965-strange-problem-hr20-100-a.html

The reason I ask is that is a lot like the problem I was having with my HR20. It was finally resolved by having the box replaced.

Bill

I dont have wire maint. on my account. Will I be charged for calling and complaining about this problem?

I dont have wire maint. on my account. Will I be charged for calling and complaining about this problem?

you don't have the protection plan? they won't charge you for the call but they will for a service visit if you don't have the protection plan. i believe you can add it and then make the call to have them make a service visit.

I am still convinced this is a SWM issue. Singal strength if excellent. All cabling from splitter to ird is brand new and worked fine for 6 months with another ird.

Was watching TV last night - everything would be fine. BANG 771 error.

I have been getting the same/similar issue on my upstairs HR20. The problem started when for the first times in a year or more, I had to unplug the unit while some furniture was re-arranged. Upon powering up, same problem. Have to re-boot, runs fine, then a little pixellation, then a 771 error. Time of day or outside temps make no difference. I think an internal component did not like the powering down/cooling off.
Placed an order today for a new box, getting a H21 to replace the H20.

I can no longer receive HDNet movies or Universal HD. Ever since they did away with the 70 something channel numbers for these, I can no longer get the new channels which are 259 and 552 I believe. I get the searching for signal. I called Directv and they said they would have to send someone out. It will cost me unless I have the protection plan. Not sure what I am going to do. I checked the signal strength on sat 99(c) and the signals are zero on odd transponders and zero on all channels that are on 99 south. Thanks.

Last edited:
I can no longer receive HDNet movies or Universal HD. Ever since they did away with the 70 something channel numbers for these, I can no longer get the new channels which are 259 and 552 I believe. I get the searching for signal. I called Directv and they said they would have to send someone out. It will cost me unless I have the protection plan. Not sure what I am going to do. I checked the signal strength on sat 99(c) and the signals are zero on odd transponders and zero on all channels that are on 99 south. Thanks.

do you have a sl3 or sl5 dish? the channels in the 70s are mpg2 and come off 119 so even if you set the box to read a slim3 or 5 if you dont have it you get 0s, also are there bbands?

do you have a sl3 or sl5 dish? the channels in the 70s are mpg2 and come off 119 so even if you set the box to read a slim3 or 5 if you dont have it you get 0s, also are there bbands?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this but I don't know if I have a sl3 or sl5. I believe I do have the bbands if what you are talking about are the little rectangular boxes leading into the receiver. Tech support tried to help and determined that I need a tech to come out. They thing I need a new LNB or a dish alignment. Thanks for your input.

Matt

wait a minute, if this is swm you dont need bbands, and is the receiver set to swm and not multiswitch lol? I think alot of people here including myself are gonna feel really stupid if that fixes your problem... try this...

remove the bbc (black box) and connect the cable to sat 1
do menu - setup - system setup - satellite - repeat satellite setup, then change the setup to swm5 or 3 pending which lnb you have, and make sure multiswitch is on 01 swm, and the box is set to dual. continue continue, etc, let it restart and do its thing, if you get x's on particular satellites let us know.

to determine if you have sl3 or 5 if you can go out side and look at the dish, if it has 1 white cone on the end of the lnb its a 3, and if it has 3 physical white cones on it, its a 5, also there should be 4 wires running off the dish into your swm8 switch correct?

wait a minute, if this is swm you dont need bbands, and is the receiver set to swm and not multiswitch lol? I think alot of people here including myself are gonna feel really stupid if that fixes your problem... try this...

remove the bbc (black box) and connect the cable to sat 1
do menu - setup - system setup - satellite - repeat satellite setup, then change the setup to swm5 or 3 pending which lnb you have, and make sure multiswitch is on 01 swm, and the box is set to dual. continue continue, etc, let it restart and do its thing, if you get x's on particular satellites let us know.

to determine if you have sl3 or 5 if you can go out side and look at the dish, if it has 1 white cone on the end of the lnb its a 3, and if it has 3 physical white cones on it, its a 5, also there should be 4 wires running off the dish into your swm8 switch correct?

I checked and I do have sl5. Tech support had me remove the bbc's and I could not get a signal on any HD channels so they had me put them back on. My signal levels are very low on 99 and 103. They said I probably need to have the dish realigned. Thanks for your input. I have not checked the multiswitch thing.

I have a similar problem with my new HR 22.

Because of the cable setup in our house, I only connect to one sat tuner. This works fine with the HR 20 downstairs. Yes, we lose the option of watching one thing and recoding another, but we can live with that.

I set up the HR 22 the other day, connect to sat 1 and get the searching for satellite 2 message. If I switch the cable to sat 2, we get a picture. If I do a reset, I need to put the cable on sat 1 to acquire the sat data.

We have a swm5 dish, the HD DVR replaced a SD DVR. Is there something I need to change in the satellite setup menu?

basicly look at your sl5 . if it only has 1 wire running down odds are it is a sl5-S (SWM) as the sl5-s only has one outlet. but if you have more (up to 4) it is just a standard sl5 but you could always swap the head and install a splitter or install a swm8 unit (both setups would also require a PI

QUESTION? I have the H20 dvr and no multiswitch. If i run another line from lnb to sat2 input do I need a multiswitch? I'm having the prob of now signal on sat 2. I have a sl5 sat and only two receivers so I have 2 available lines to take one from. Just curious to what I should do. I started with 1 hd receiver and 2 standard receivers so when D* installed they never installed a multiswitch. Now I just have the hd and hd dvr. If I do need one where can i get one or will the beable to come out and instal it and what will that cost.

According to D* coiling 50ft of coax behind the receiver does fix the problem with low signals on HDDVR's. Don't know why, but I have seen it work. My HSP also says to do this B4 replacing receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)