Season 6: Episode 17 and 18 The end thoughts and discussion

A highly critical blog from Slate on the ending.... shares the same interpretation of sideways world, but quite bitter about it, and I see their point, even though I am still happy with the ending.

Lost: The bomb did not work. (53) - By Chadwick Matlin, Jack Shafer, and Seth Stevenson - Slate Magazine

I dont' share his opinion at all. I have thought about the Ep even more than I did from my first post. IMO...a HAPPY ENDING. Isn't that the way good stories should have????

I dont' share his opinion at all. I have thought about the Ep even more than I did from my first post. IMO...a HAPPY ENDING. Isn't that the way good stories should have????

I agree with you 100%. Yeah, we'd always like more mythology of the island revealed, but I think the happy ending - even though bittersweet - was what we all wanted.

I imagine fan fiction being written for years trying to creatively fill in the gaps. I just wish this universe did not have to end.

wow okay I typed 5 paragraphs and lost it somehow :( time to retype.

edit: I will add more to this in the upcoming days for two reasons. #1. I am tired and just lost my paragraphs so not only am I tired, I am a little miffed as I really thought I had some good stuff. #2. My lost experience was semi ruined by wews in cleveland really JACKING UP MY LOST PROGRAM SO I MISSED A LOT OF IMPORTANT THINGS, I will say this for tonight though...the final show was a good end for a great show. I think Lost is def. top 3 shows of all time. At first I was a little upset with how things were going, but as I thought about it through the night, I kinda started liking the idea of how lost ended, and I am glad they did what they did. They gave us all peace about flight 815, they killed the man in black and got all the losties together again, what more could you want (okay is it too much to ask that kate take her shirt off just one more time, that would have been nice :) sorry I digress) I will add alot more over the next couple days but for now, know that I really enjoyed my time with this show.

A highly critical blog from Slate on the ending.... shares the same interpretation of sideways world, but quite bitter about it, and I see their point, even though I am still happy with the ending.

Lost: The bomb did not work. (53) - By Chadwick Matlin, Jack Shafer, and Seth Stevenson - Slate Magazine
Yep. I have to agree with the author. The more I think about it, the more disappointed I become with the ending. I would have liked it much better had the flash-sideways world had something to do with the H-Bomb.......oh well. Bad ending to a great show.

I just wish this universe did not have to end.

'Lost' Possibly Still Airing In Parallel Dimension, Desperate Fans Report

MAY 24, 2010 | ISSUE 46•21

Lost fans are speculating that the program is continuing on in a parallel dimension somewhere, and that alternate versions of showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse are currently writing new episodes of the series. "It's very possible that a sideways world running concurrent to our own exists, and that a facsimile of myself is happy, fulfilled, and already gearing up for the season seven premiere of Lost," said 36-year-old Kevin Molinaro, who, along with more than 20 million other hopeless fans, has recently booked multiple roundtrip tickets from Los Angeles to Australia in hopes of traveling through a vortex in the space-time continuum. "I just have to find a way to get there. We all do." According to data from Google analytics, searches for "How to build/detonate/use a hydrogen bomb to open up a multidimensional wormhole" have increased 10 millionfold since the episode aired.

'Lost' Possibly Still Airing In Parallel Dimension, Desperate Fans Report

MAY 24, 2010 | ISSUE 46•21

Lost fans are speculating that the program is continuing on in a parallel dimension somewhere, and that alternate versions of showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse are currently writing new episodes of the series. "It's very possible that a sideways world running concurrent to our own exists, and that a facsimile of myself is happy, fulfilled, and already gearing up for the season seven premiere of Lost," said 36-year-old Kevin Molinaro, who, along with more than 20 million other hopeless fans, has recently booked multiple roundtrip tickets from Los Angeles to Australia in hopes of traveling through a vortex in the space-time continuum. "I just have to find a way to get there. We all do." According to data from Google analytics, searches for "How to build/detonate/use a hydrogen bomb to open up a multidimensional wormhole" have increased 10 millionfold since the episode aired.

Getting your news from The Onion? :D :D

wow okay I typed 5 paragraphs and lost it somehow :( time to retype.

edit: I will add more to this in the upcoming days for two reasons. #1. I am tired and just lost my paragraphs so not only am I tired, I am a little miffed as I really thought I had some good stuff. #2. My lost experience was semi ruined by wews in cleveland really JACKING UP MY LOST PROGRAM SO I MISSED A LOT OF IMPORTANT THINGS, I will say this for tonight though...the final show was a good end for a great show. I think Lost is def. top 3 shows of all time. ...

I have no qualms with putting LOST in the top of a genre list of all-time tv shows, but of all time, I am not buying that, for a few reasons.

1) Viewers were left perplexed and confused through most of the series, with few answers provided, and far apart

2) Ratings suffered as a result of it. While millions stuck around to the end, millions did not. It should not be necessary to run the prior week's episode every week with cliff notes.

3) Unlike other top shows, like say, M*A*S*H, LOST fans were subjected to incredibly long hiatuses for no good reasons. Now, I know that this now the "norm" for shows like LOST, BSG, The Sopranos, but its not necessary, and is an insult to the fans.

Is LOST a GREAT show - YES, without a doubt. Is it in the list of the top 3 of all time? I can't go that far. Not for me.

Granted I am younger than you, RMH, and have seen less TV, but Lost is my #1 show of all time.

Granted I am younger than you, RMH, and have seen less TV, but Lost is my #1 show of all time.

I am not saying it is not many people's favorite show; I am just saying I don't buy the argument of top 3 of all time; there is a lot of great tv that has been made in the past 60 years. Yet it had a strange appeal. My mother faithfully watched every episode (she needed a lot of explanation on the phone yesterday, as she was totally confused by the ending), yet my wife bailed during the first season. So for me, it was not a family affair watching it. Just me.

And I doubt I am that much older. :)

I'm hoping for a spin off series or maybe a couple "X-Files like" big screen movies to delve deeper into the Islands mythology (hopefully they'll leave the sideways world out of it and just concentrate on the mythology part). I think the producers know they have a cash cow on their hands and they're not going to let it go to waste. I'm sure they will take a break and let the finale set in but I foresee more Lost goodness in the future.

I'm hoping for a spin off series or maybe a couple "X-Files like" big screen movies to delve deeper into the Islands mythology (hopefully they'll leave the sideways world out of it and just concentrate on the mythology part). I think the producers know they have a cash cow on their hands and they're not going to let it go to waste. I'm sure they will take a break and let the finale set in but I foresee more Lost goodness in the future.
C&L have emphatically said there will be no movie spin-offs. Matthew Fox said he would not do one. It's over and done.

I have no qualms with putting LOST in the top of a genre list of all-time tv shows, but of all time, I am not buying that, for a few reasons.

1) Viewers were left perplexed and confused through most of the series, with few answers provided, and far apart

2) Ratings suffered as a result of it. While millions stuck around to the end, millions did not. It should not be necessary to run the prior week's episode every week with cliff notes.

3) Unlike other top shows, like say, M*A*S*H, LOST fans were subjected to incredibly long hiatuses for no good reasons. Now, I know that this now the "norm" for shows like LOST, BSG, The Sopranos, but its not necessary, and is an insult to the fans.

Is LOST a GREAT show - YES, without a doubt. Is it in the list of the top 3 of all time? I can't go that far. Not for me.

I am going to show my age here, but I have not seen mash, the reason I put it in top 3 (for me I should say I guess) is because for my generation, I dont think there were other network shows that were like it. I think seinfeld and Lost are def. in the top 3 shows for me all time in my life ( now for personal pref. I am trying to decide between king of queens and Big Bang theory for the other top 3 as those are just flat out funny). It will be great to see where Lost ranks as far as viewers go (for the finale).

I am going to show my age here, but I have not seen mash, the reason I put it in top 3 (for me I should say I guess) is because for my generation, I dont think there were other network shows that were like it. I think seinfeld and Lost are def. in the top 3 shows for me all time in my life ( now for personal pref. I am trying to decide between king of queens and Big Bang theory for the other top 3 as those are just flat out funny). It will be great to see where Lost ranks as far as viewers go (for the finale).

You know I love Big Bang Theory, but I am not willing to put it in top 3 yet; not sure I ever will. And I never cared for King of Queens. Sorry, I know you have Kevin James have that special connection. :D

Regardless, for YOU, LOST was one of your favorite tv shows of all time. Not challenging that. Its rare that a televsion show reaches that plateau.

LOST is a special show; it went places few shows ever attempted to go. One downside - its reliance on mysteries that were NEVER revealed has become a bit too common in other shows; and not necessarily well.

Plus, it is frustrating to spend six years with a show and have key questions NEVER answered. :)

Mike I am so glad when my wife and I were out that night I picked up big bang theory as I had never seen it before and i knew you really liked it so I thought what the heck it was only 20 bucks on sale. I think what makes big bang theory and even king of queens for that matter my fav. shows is I can watch them over and over and not get bored (arrested development was/is the same way). Lost is simple with why I put in top 3, I couldnt wait for the next episode, I was hooked and for me while it did tire sometimes I loved being confused and having the right cliffhanger ( like 24 did most of the time). I will agree with you, I am a little miffed that they didnt explain all the mysteries but I think the writers reached a point and were like oh crap we need to end this thing now, forget answering everything lets just get to the end. Also I want to add a thought, I hate how they brought the religious aspect in at the end of lost, why not just end it with jacks eye closing and let it go with us wondering what happened to the rest of them, you have already confused us this much.

Mike I am so glad when my wife and I were out that night I picked up big bang theory as I had never seen it before and i knew you really liked it so I thought what the heck it was only 20 bucks on sale. I think what makes big bang theory and even king of queens for that matter my fav. shows is I can watch them over and over and not get bored (arrested development was/is the same way). Lost is simple with why I put in top 3, I couldnt wait for the next episode, I was hooked and for me while it did tire sometimes I loved being confused and having the right cliffhanger ( like 24 did most of the time). I will agree with you, I am a little miffed that they didnt explain all the mysteries but I think the writers reached a point and were like oh crap we need to end this thing now, forget answering everything lets just get to the end. Also I want to add a thought, I hate how they brought the religious aspect in at the end of lost, why not just end it with jacks eye closing and let it go with us wondering what happened to the rest of them, you have already confused us this much.

Oh don't get me wrong. I LOVE BBT. I just rewatched all of season 1. So good.

As far as LOST is concerned, I think the writers wrote themselves into a whole. They created so much mystery, they were unable to really explain it.

And that said, I really enjoyed the finale for what it was. A nice farewell to good friends.

One more "age reveal-er" then back on Lost. My favorite TV show of my life..."The Avengers"!! Kate never held a candle to Mrs. Peel.:D

One more "age reveal-er" then back on Lost. My favorite TV show of my life..."The Avengers"!! Kate never held a candle to Mrs. Peel.:D

Yeah, that does reveal your age. ;)

I have to admit that Kate is a major reason I kept coming back to LOST, week after week. She is an angel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)