Seasonal Dish Network Service?

lsh1885

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
Orlando, Florida
This is probably a strange question, but here it is. I know someone who is taking a new job and 2 months out of the year (during the summer) she will be housed at a residence away from home. She has Directv service at her normal residence by the way. So the bottom line is can you get service at a residence and have it run for 2 or 3 months,but have it inactive the rest of the year.

This is probably a strange question, but here it is. I know someone who is taking a new job and 2 months out of the year (during the summer) she will be housed at a residence away from home. She has Directv service at her normal residence by the way. So the bottom line is can you get service at a residence and have it run for 2 or 3 months,but have it inactive the rest of the year.

If you're willing to pay the fees for downgrading programming repeatedly, then yes. Without cost, no.

I've seen it mentioned if you have a primary residence that has dish and a secondary with dish as well.. the secondary can be turned on an off at will at no cost.. I believe it was mentioned in a charlie chat..

I've seen it mentioned if you have a primary residence that has dish and a secondary with dish as well.. the secondary can be turned on an off at will at no cost.. I believe it was mentioned in a charlie chat..

It's a nice sentiment, but that's an old offer. Any programming downgrades will trigger the charge automatically.

I have Dish at my Texas Residence. When I go to NH, where I have cable service, I put Dish on vacation hold. This cost $5 per month. I have done this for up to 7 months. The cable company has the same offer in the opposite direction. This hold makes a lot of sense when you have service committments. It postpones penalty costs and equipment returns. I bet Directv has a similar service.

It's a nice sentiment, but that's an old offer. Any programming downgrades will trigger the charge automatically.

I've only been watching charlie chats for a year, so it had to be within the last couple of chats.. can't be that old an offer..

EDIT: here's someone mentioning it stating it was in the jan 2006 chat..

From Dish Retailer Chat in Jan. 2006:
Official Dish policy on Second Location/vacation homes from last weeks retailer chat.
· Second location/vacation homes policy
>Customers who have a Vacation Home or Second Fixed Location
can set up an account to receive DISH Network services
>Customers will NOT be allowed to share receivers between their primary residence and any other fixed location on a single account
>The customer will be required to create a separate account for the Second Fixed location/Vacation Home. This account will be allowed unlimited seasonal downgrades or service on this account

Last edited:
I have Dish at my Texas Residence. When I go to NH, where I have cable service, I put Dish on vacation hold. This cost $5 per month. I have done this for up to 7 months. The cable company has the same offer in the opposite direction. This hold makes a lot of sense when you have service committments. It postpones penalty costs and equipment returns. I bet Directv has a similar service.

I assume the equipment hold applies to leased equipment. This is good to know, my parent’s primary home is in WV where they stay in the warmer months, but they also own a home and lot in a FL RV resort that includes expanded basic cable in their home owner’s association fee, where they go during the colder months. My mom has expressed an interest in E* for their WV home, but does not want to pay full price during the months that they are in FL; it may be worth it at only $5/mo when they are gone. Thanks for the info; I will tell my mom the next time I talk to her. :)

Thanks! That sounds like something she is going to be interested in, she was expecting it to be of some cost, but she was hoping she could do it without incurring the full service price for the 10 months she would not be using it.

That is the winning answer!! Assuming you are not in a contract however. It then becomes tricky. They allowed my In-Laws to put it on vacation hold and then extend their contract by that many months, but did not allow my Mother to. However I called for my In-Laws, my Mother did it on her own so.......

The second home pause IS valid - did it at the end of last year.

This is not considered a programming downgrade by the way. That's the whole point of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts