Seat of power: How the SEC came to rule college football

It's amazing how one conference can rule an entire sport. Although I never had paid any attention to the SEC and didn't realize how powerful they had become. I always thought the Big Ten was the more powerful conference. Maybe they used to be but I guess they're not anymore.

It's amazing how one conference can rule an entire sport. Although I never had paid any attention to the SEC and didn't realize how powerful they had become. I always thought the Big Ten was the more powerful conference. Maybe they used to be but I guess they're not anymore.

That changed about 20 years ago.

Now with the MNC game and the BSC, it's all the more obvious.

When the next ICE AGE rolls in, the Big Ten will take over again :D

That changed about 20 years ago.

Now with the MNC game and the BSC, it's all the more obvious.

When the next ICE AGE rolls in, the Big Ten will take over again :D

The funny thing is if the BCS was not in place OSU would of more then likly been national champions twice this decade. Because they would not of played FLA or LSU but rather some pac10 team in the Rose bowl and more then likely won both those games. And because they were ranked #1 going into those games would have been national champs.

thanks to the BCS however OSU got to play the best teams in the country for the title rather then a bowl tie in game with a weak pac10 team.

I don't like to buy into this Conference crap no more than Salsa does anymore... just teams playing other teams is all but the area's they recruit from mostly local states have been good to them over the years - Thug Nation!

This article just made me throw up a little in my mouth...that's about all.

I don't like to buy into this Conference crap no more than Salsa does anymore... just teams playing other teams is all but the area's they recruit from mostly local states have been good to them over the years - Thug Nation!

This article just made me throw up a little in my mouth...that's about all.

If my conference was as bad as the one you and salsas team play in I might say the same.. ;)

If my conference was as bad as the one you and salsas team play in I might say the same.. ;)

You can only beat whats in front of you... Clemson and VT are the best teams in the ACC followed by FSU right now. Every Conf has bottom feeders just how it is but no really I'm lookin from outside the box here.

You can only beat whats in front of you... Clemson and VT are the best teams in the ACC followed by FSU right now. Every Conf has bottom feeders just how it is but no really I'm lookin from outside the box here.

True you can only beat whats in front of you. And the SEC has done that. The ACC leaders ( fsu, vtech, clemson, gatech and maybe add miami) Have really not done that in the past several years against the best of the other conferences.

However the best of the Big 12, big 10, pac12 and SEC have all fared a lot better against the toughest teams of the opposing leagues.

The ACC and the Big East are in a fight to be the worst conference of the BCS.. Right now the Big East is trailing but its a close race.

Have really not done that in the past several years against the best of the other conferences.

KEY words here "past several years" you and others ignore the past all together if you wish to use it for SEC benefit you toss up 40 years ago if you could. VT has beaten all those SEC Power houses over the course of just the last 30years and thats only going back to 81 (doesn't seem that far back does it). Hell VT beat LSU in 2002 but you like others wish to ignore that - Vt tore em apart that game just as LSU did against VT in 2007...ohh well it happens but VT has stepped up and HAS beaten these teams in recent history!

LSU vs Virginia Tech (Sep 01, 2002)

MUSIC CITY BOWL

Virginia Tech 38, Alabama 7

Dec. 29, 1998 Nashville

That's the most recent game between the two aside from the 2009 meeting but Bama and VT meet up again in 2 more seasons for a CFB Opener.. good for them let the best team win.

KEY words here "past several years" you and others ignore the past all together if you wish to use it for SEC benefit you toss up 40 years ago if you could. VT has beaten all those SEC Power houses over the course of just the last 30years and thats only going back to 81 (doesn't seem that far back does it). Hell VT beat LSU in 2002 but you like others wish to ignore that - Vt tore em apart that game just as LSU did against VT in 2007...ohh well it happens but VT has stepped up and HAS beaten these teams in recent history!

That's the most recent game between the two aside from the 2009 meeting but Bama and VT meet up again in 2 more seasons for a CFB Opener.. good for them let the best team win.

Of course I talk about the last several years that is what is relevant. If you want to go back 30+ years why not 40-50? When Army and Navy were worth somthing?

College football teams change so much each year and within 4 years time you typically have a brand new team. This is why I choose to only go back maybe 5 years or so. Because they are not the same team as they were 5 years ago.

I am not doubting that a decade + ago FSU was a super power in college football. But they are a tiny spec on the radar now. No doubt Miami was a great team in the 80s but they are a spec on the radar today. And that is what matters, Just like how Alabama under Shula sucked and no one talked about them, they have only been back for about 4 years or so since Saban has got them going.

Of course I talk about the last several years that is what is relevant. If you want to go back 30+ years why not 40-50? When Army and Navy were worth somthing?

College football teams change so much each year and within 4 years time you typically have a brand new team. This is why I choose to only go back maybe 5 years or so. Because they are not the same team as they were 5 years ago.

Well I disagree then.. just going back 30 years is relevant to me that's only the 80's...if you wish to say relevant well only this year really matters as you have this years coaches, this years players, this years weather etc etc..conditions, players change ok I feel ya I get what your saying.. only this year the SEC slipped two teams into the NC game, ONLY this year Okla St got screwed by voters for a lame rematch.... I certainly understand what your saying!!!! HELL YEAH!!

Well I disagree then.. just going back 30 years is relevant to me that's only the 80's...if you wish to say relevant well only this year really matters as you have this years coaches, this years players, this years weather etc etc..conditions, players change ok I feel ya I get what your saying.. only this year the SEC slipped two teams into the NC game, ONLY this year Okla St got screwed by voters for a lame rematch.... I certainly understand what your saying!!!! HELL YEAH!!

Right I dont think teams should live off soley what they did in the past. I mean look at how high FLA was ranked this year to start because of the past (Tebow Era) and look how bad they have played. That was only 2 years time! So going back 30 years is just WAY to long. When even 2 years made such a huge difference 2 time national championship team in the last 6 years FLA.

Right I dont think teams should live off soley what they did in the past. I mean look at how high FLA was ranked this year to start because of the past (Tebow Era) and look how bad they have played. That was only 2 years time! So going back 30 years is just WAY to long. When even 2 years made such a huge difference 2 time national championship team in the last 6 years FLA.

Then this year only matters... too bad others don't look at it that way all the time.

However I proved a point, VT has beaten those big teams and in recent history when you look at the amount of times they have played...just those 2 I listed but plenty of others including a awesome Nebraska team a few years ago and others. I'm looking forward to the 2013 season as VT opens against Bama..and following year they go thru a spread against OSU.

Then this year only matters... too bad others don't look at it that way all the time.

However I proved a point, VT has beaten those big teams and in recent history when you look at the amount of times they have played...just those 2 I listed but plenty of others including a awesome Nebraska team a few years ago and others. I'm looking forward to the 2013 season as VT opens against Bama..and following year they go thru a spread against OSU.

I wouldnt want to be VT playing Alabama in 2013 they have so many freshman on this team who are starters this year and jrs who will be seniors playing in 2013... Alabama is not going to be weak in 2 years that is for sure.

I wouldnt want to be VT playing Alabama in 2013 they have so many freshman on this team who are starters this year and jrs who will be seniors playing in 2013... Alabama is not going to be weak in 2 years that is for sure.

Ohh and VT has some awesome recruits coming in next year and freshman players as well.. look to see Logan Thomas a Senior that year leading them one of the best QB's going into next season already. Will be a good game for sure.

The Insider said:
The funny thing is if the BCS was not in place OSU would of more then likly been national champions twice this decade. Because they would not of played FLA or LSU but rather some pac10 team in the Rose bowl and more then likely won both those games. And because they were ranked #1 going into those games would have been national champs.

thanks to the BCS however OSU got to play the best teams in the country for the title rather then a bowl tie in game with a weak pac10 team.

I think the year the Bucks played Oregon, both of them could have played with the sec.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

dvrexpander said:

Problem is, these games in the beginning of the season are never how a team really is ...
Then again, its better to lose early than late

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Problem is, these games in the beginning of the season are never how a team really is ...
Then again, its better to lose early than late
I agree, that's why beating a team that ranked earlier in the season means nothing when that team is unranked at the end of the season, because that earlier ranking was just a bad guess.

I think the year the Bucks played Oregon, both of them could have played with the sec.
I have to admit, I have little interest in watching the Buckeyes when they play an SEC team. I remember a few years ago when they played LSU and I just thought, LSU, and other SEC teams, i.e. Alabama, Auburn, etc, is (are) on a whole other level (up) than Big 10 teams. I only watched about 1-1/2 quarters of the bowl game a few days ago....

And I've been a Buckeye fan since I was young. I still remember watching the Buckeyes games on the local PBS, on tape-delay, at 12:01am, following the real game earlier that afternoon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts