Seattle Area HD Locals? RANT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lets-rock

Original poster
Jan 3, 2005
So I move to the countryside(from 20 miles North of Seattle - to 45 miles NE of Seattle and upgraded from standard D* to HD, receiver and all.. Signed up for the HD package - inc locals (I had locals b4).. Well when I couldn't get the locals in HD. I called and the D* folks said I could get them off air- No I can't (antenna web says so ; to far) (Before I got the Off AIR via a trusty UHF antenna and my Sony's built in tuner)Then the D* folks said I needed a waiver- so they requested one for each local channel- CBS-FOX-NBC-ABC- DENIED-- I called the local stations and they said- 'Send a letter and we'll file it-but we are not granting any waivers at this time".. OK- D* says they'll be available in the future.. I said - Comcast can give them to me via the digilite package for about $20 (us) a month + box- Can I get out of my contract- They said you agreed to be bound- I said you said- UGH- I asked for a person to call- You can email/contact via the web page- UGH--

I should mention that this started with my brand new outta the box HD reciever ID had been hacked and my initial local set was for New Orleans- I did get HD SHO-HBO and a few others.. until my morals and 4 hours of phone time with 4 different D* csr's figured out what the deal was ;) - then got both my moved(previous D* system) and new D* receivers both working at the same time..

My bud lives in Bellingham, WA. Near the Canadian border- and had received waivers for the west/east coast feeds about a year ago.. ABC's up and he requests it- DENIED..

Seems the affiliates are denying everything- do to sponsor pressure.. Now D* needs to go live or lose folks quick-

rant aside-

Does anyone know when the puget sound region will be able to receive all/most/any local channels in HD?

The D* website is more difficult to navigate then the abbr. dewey .. ;)

Thanks-

I feel your pain. I live about 25 miles from most of the Seattle towers and get inconsistent reception.
Fortunately, Seattle is a top 20 market, so the HD locals should show up soon after they get those new birds up the middle of this year.

Your pain is felt by a lot of people but realize this is no fault of D* but your local affiliates (NAB) fighting tooth & nail to maintain their illegal monopoly. You should complain to your reps and the FCC, as well as getting in the ear of the NAB.

I live less than 5 miles from my Antennaes and FOX comes in like crap.

With VOOM it came in just fine OTA.

Somewhat ironic isn't it, considering Seattle networks are available in HD on Bell ExpressVu in Canada -- anywhere in Canada, from east coast to west coast.

I'm in the same boat as you. I get NBC on a lucky day OTA and now with Seattle #12 getting skipped over for #13 Tampa on the LIL Launch this summer plus the addition of MPEG 4 I think ill be "moving" to LA today and just get National Feeds.

dswallow said:
Somewhat ironic isn't it, considering Seattle networks are available in HD on Bell ExpressVu in Canada -- anywhere in Canada, from east coast to west coast.

Not only to Canada... ;)

You mean No HD Locals this summer for Seattle?

dv8 said:
I'm in the same boat as you. I get NBC on a lucky day OTA and now with Seattle #12 getting skipped over for #13 Tampa on the LIL Launch this summer plus the addition of MPEG 4 I think ill be "moving" to LA today and just get National Feeds.

?????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts