Seattle HD Locals

Where should we address the emails? It's been so long that I got rid of my old correspondences to the Trib attorney. Rereading them just made me more angry anyway.

And although I blame Trib more than Dish it certainly wouldn't hurt to apply pressure there too. Is CEO@ECHOSTAR.COM still the best place to correspond to? Even if none of us here are thinking about it, we might want to mention that anyone with eyes can predict Dish losing large numbers of custs in Seattle because in Sept. DTV will be caught up in HD offerings. They do offer KCPQ and their custs don't have a daily struggle that we do with 129. The comparatively small step of offering KCPQ in HD in time for football would be a very cost effective cust retention measure.

Please forgive my ignorance as I am new here.

cebbigh, you mentioned tha in Sept. DirecTV would be caught up in HD offerings.

Will they be getting more HD channels?

Has this been confirmed?

As much as I dislike DirecTV, I dislike even more the thought of not watching the Hawks in HD for another season.

Thanks

dragonf1y; said:
Please forgive my ignorance as I am new here.

cebbigh, you mentioned tha in Sept. DirecTV would be caught up in HD offerings.

Will they be getting more HD channels?

Has this been confirmed?

As much as I dislike DirecTV, I dislike even more the thought of not watching the Hawks in HD for another season.

Thanks

As much as I don't trust what they say, DTV has been basing their marketing campaign on that premise and now they have a successful Sat launch to back them up. Of course Dish claims they will always be the leader. We get caught in a circular argument. But if DTV isn't at a point by the end of Sept where they can make the claim that they have either caught up or have pushed ahead they will have a lot of very upset custs.

Dragonfly, I am not sure where you are located or how satisfied you are otherwise with Dish other than this one issue. Not that I am a proponent of "moving", but Portland has a footprint that covers most of Western Washington and Dish does carry their local Fox-HD affiliate (KPTV) on the 110 Sat (and they carry the Seahawks).

Cebbigh,

I have no realproblems with dish other than the FOX13 issue, but it is a big one for me.

I am just north of Everett, WA.

I'm not usre what you meen by a Footprint or how it can help me.

Could you please explain it to me?

Thank you so very much.

Sure. Don't know how far you are into this stuff yet so if I say something that sounds obvious please just bear with me.

The Seattle HD Locals that are carried on the Sat at 110 (KOMO, KIRO, KING) are carried on spotbeams. A spotbeam is used to transmit a concentrated signal to a limited geographical area (as oppossed to a signal that covers the whole US. When the Seattle locals were turned up (May 2005) KCPQ also was on the same spotbeam but never was made public because of the retransmission consent issues.

The footprint is just a discriptive term to describe the area that a signal can be received in. If you click on this attachment and look at the red egg shaped circle that covers Oregon north to Bellingham you can see the effective footprint of the spotbeam that provides the Portland HD locals:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/pictures/echo10contourcloseup.gif

As far as "moving" service just do a search on moving and you will find many many posts on it. Again, I'm not a proponent of it. On the other hand, I am CERTAINLY not a proponent of the short stick we've been handed by Tribune and Dish. After all this is SEAHAWK'S FOOTBALL we are talking about here. Nuff said. :D

Have you had any luck with OTA? I am off 164th near Mill Creek and just happen to be in the shadow of a large hill that makes it difficult to get KCPQ. I do get it fine most of the time, and managed to record every game last year without any disruptions to speak of (excluding the storms where we lost commercial power). That is using a big yagi (CM4248) antenna on a mast off my 2nd floor chimney.

horseflesh; said:
An installer is outside right this second installing a second dish to hit 129. I hope you are exaggerating!

I have a dedicated 24 inch dish for 129. That has been an improvement over the dedicated 500 I used to have. Dish 1000 for 110/119/129 just isn't a viable solution in the Pacific NW.

I don't think I'm exagerating. Just watch the meter for 20-30 minutes and you'll see the fluctuation. TP27 seems exceptionally vulnerable. You won't see the picture disrupt every time the signal drops (of course there are variables like the size of your antenna and how well it is aimed). I'm a SciFi fan and UHD (Battlestar Gallactica, Firefly, Stargate Atlantis) happens to be on TP27. And now I see the uplink report has the upcoming History Channel on TP27 too. :eek:

horseflesh; said:
eek! thanks for the info! Fingers crossed.

Good luck. Before the end of next year we should have an alternative to E5 (the sat that is at 129 now). There is a lot of speculation about what form that will take. Either the brand new duplicate MPEG4 service or moving another Sat to the 129 slot to take it's place (or maybe doing something with the 148 slot). So hopefully you won't have to deal with it for too much longer. They have to do something about E5 before it runs out of fuel (they are constantly re-aiming it due to the fluctuations).

Ccebigh,

Wow! thanks for all the great info. You really go above and beyond.

The funny thing is that I actually plan on temporarily moving (physically) to portaland in about 6 months for a 3 month stint, before returning to this area.

Do you know if Portalnd also get FSN Northwest & the Mariners?

The whole 'moving' thing seems VERY intersting but not up my alley.

I can positively say yes regarding FSN NW. And the Portland equivalent of ch 11 (don't remember which channel that is) also shows the games carried on 11 here.

Hopefully Dish and Tribune will resolve their differences. Like I said, I'm not a proponent of "Moving" either. If you do the search for "moving" I'm sure you'll see comments both pro and con and also some people go into great detail as to how they did it. Essentially they say you call Dish and tell them to change your service address and leave the billing address the same. The general consensus is that Dish doesn't really care. So it boils down to more of an ethical issue and that is something we weigh out on our own.

I do hope Dish cares enough about losing the PNW to DTV because come the Fall a lot of us will be at the end of our 18 month lease commits. If I find myself reading great things about DTV HD I will have a tough decision to make. And I really do not like DTV, it's current ownership (although I understand that is in transition), or the way it has conducted business.

As Chuck has said, a dedicated 24" dish for the 129 slot is the only viable solution for Dish's HD package here in the PNW. I too am I a Sci-Fi fan and the fact that UHD is on TP27 (a questionable TP at that) makes uninterrupted viewing a hit/miss proposition, even with a 24" dish.

I emailed the ceo address yesterday, but no reply as yet...

I'm also a SF fan so that is disappointing. Wouldn't have stopped me from proceeding though... Glad I heard about it ahead of time, I would have flipped my wig otherwise.

(Now I am just hoping that last night's sat signal loss errors on 119 were just the new gear 'warming up'...! I'll be steamed if I need a service call for a bad LNB or something already.)

That's hilarious. What are the odds I'd see an outage the same evening I got all new gear?

I even thought about getting on the forum, but told myself it had to be a local problem.

It was funny to watch that. I know people out east get tired of our grumping about E5. One little weather caused outage and they sure react in a hurry.

24 inch dish has helped quite a bit. But the only long term solution is moving off of E5 and that should happen in 2008. The sooner the better!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts