Seattle HD Locals

long_time_DNC said:
I'll finally get to see the 'Hawks play tonight in what passes for HD these days! ;)

National TV too...I hope they'll be at the top of their game tonight.

Boy, sure not tonight :confused:

I know, what a game :(

I had my brother in law over to watch the game, and of course he is very impressed with the HD. Just wish we weren't all sitting there with shocked looks on our faces.

It was painful.

Whoo Hoo

cebbigh said:
When I lived up there KCPQ was killing it's Eng's at the station because they had to work both there and the Portland Tribune station. So it prolly will only help KCPQ become a better station. The things who's gonna pay the $$ and will they be run local are by automation from another location like the TV station in Bellingham.

cebbigh said:
Tribune to sell KCPQ?

If they do I hope they don't change the location of there Transmit tower. In southwest WA (Olympia south) KCPQ 13/Digital18 is the only station that comes through strong. I live about 15 miles south of Olympia and am able to get fox in HD off air and off course 4, 5, 7 HD through Dish. KCPQ is the only HD chan I can get off air but it works out nicely. They used to transmit WB22 digital from the same tower and I was able to get that but then, for some reason, they moved WB22's digital to a different tower and I no longer get it.

24" dish etc.

Brad1138,

Did you ever hear if Dish is upgrading folks to 24" dishes? Does your company ever come up to Port Ludlow? I am on 61.5 but do to trees and weather I would like to use a 24" if I could.

Thanks

Yes, dish is upgrading everyone in WA to a 24" dish, you just need to call them. Sorry we don't go that far often, only for large jobs. If you can get 61.5 unobstructed it is still a better solution than a 24" for 129. Although we may need 129 for Fox Sports NW HD when it comes online.

Brad

brad1138 said:
If they do I hope they don't change the location of there Transmit tower. In southwest WA (Olympia south) KCPQ 13/Digital18 is the only station that comes through strong. I live about 15 miles south of Olympia and am able to get fox in HD off air and off course 4, 5, 7 HD through Dish. KCPQ is the only HD chan I can get off air but it works out nicely. They used to transmit WB22 digital from the same tower and I was able to get that but then, for some reason, they moved WB22's digital to a different tower and I no longer get it.

I'd like them to mirror it. Gold mtn is iffy for me. 22-1 and 22-2 come in strong. Only problem is they don't put anything on worth watching now that the few decent shows moved to 11.

Glad someone benefits from it being broadcast from Bremerton.:)

So I called Dish today and connected to Tech Support. I told the CSR that I was having problems with channels on 129 like ESPN2 and that I had heard that they were offering residents of WA a second dish to fix the problem. She had me go through the whole setup thing and tell her my signal strength numbers on the various satellites. After doing a reboot and other stuff she scheduled me for a visit from a tech. I reiterated my interest in a second dish and she said she didn't know what they would do for me, but that she would mention on the service request that I wanted a second dish. She hadn't heard of any special accomadation for Washington residents. We'll see what happens.

Brad- Does this sound like the way the conversation should have gone? Hopefully I get you for my service call!

They're supposed to come Thursday morning between 8 and 12.

Buncha idiot tech sup people... Besides, I don't want two dishes out there... I shouldn't have to have my house looking like an uplink center to compensate for their junk satellite...especially when it doesn't even entirely resolve the problem with signal loss, etc.

24" Dish

I was missing a half dozen channels on 61.5 (all TP 20, 22 and 2) and the Tech was here today. He tried to get the channels with 61.5 and couldn't so he put a 24" up for 129. My signal is 97 on 129 TP 31, and 63-76 on TP 6.

He did not have a 24" with him but he went and got one off of another Techs truck. Unfortunatly the folks at Dish do not know about this so you can't just call and order it. He says that he has not had any call backs on the 24" yet so he thinks they are working good. He still thinks 61.5 is better if you can see it.

I will post if I have drops

2 dishes are better for your area

long_time_DNC said:
Buncha idiot tech sup people... Besides, I don't want two dishes out there... I shouldn't have to have my house looking like an uplink center to compensate for their junk satellite...especially when it doesn't even entirely resolve the problem with signal loss, etc.
2 dish 500's won't look bad to you and it will only take up a little more space than the 1000. You won't be looking like an uplink just becuase you have 2 dishes. An uplink uses 10 meter dishes and to 20 inchers. Also when the winter rains show up that 1000 is going to tank.

My 1000 is nicely mounted on a porch support post on the back side of my house. There's no place for another dish out there and have it look decent, and the roof and chimney aren't options (in the event of the rare snow)... If I had two 500's out there, one would have to be positioned below the other on that post, which would look pretty lame and the lower dish potentially be blocked by lawn-mowing. Not a good deal.

Hence, my extreme reluctance at the idea of going to two dishes...

Besides, I don't want two dishes out there...

You are not alone, unfortunately there is NO other solution. Either get the 24" upgrade, live with the 129 drop outs or wait till they replace 129 in probably about 2 years :( .

The E* csr's are idiots, they know VERY little. We are trying to find out if E* will pay us to do 24" upgrades on people that aren't our customers, if we will get paid I'll give out our Ph #. But keep in mind we will only go about 60 miles out of Olympia and not into the Seattle area (we all HATE the traffic up there).

pbrown, let me know what happens with the tech. He hopefully will bring out a 24" dish for you. I don't know who to call at E* that would know about the 24" dish.

2 dish 500's won't look bad to you and it will only take up a little more space than the 1000.

The 129 upgrade isn't to a dish 500 (about 20" diameter). The official "fix" is a 24" Dish next to your original D1000 or D500, if you already have 2 D500's the 129 one is replaced w/the 24" dish, if you have a D1000, the 24" dish is added and the 129 lnb is pulled from the D1000, they do not replace your D1000 with a D500.

Brad

I think what E* is doing by replacing the D-500 Sat Dish with the 24" dish is a futile attempt to rectify a half dead wobbling bird!!! The D-500 Sat Dish I have for my dedicated 129 sat dish measures 22 1/4" H X 20 1/2" Wide. I cannot see how E* thinks they will gain that much with the 24" dish so as to satisfy the HD consumers in the Puget Sound area but maybe and hopefully they could prove me wrong...might be a different scenario if they offered the 1.2 meter dish but then again, how many people would want a dish of around 40" on their property? By comparison...measurements between the D-500 and the D-1000 satellite dishes I have is noted below:

D-500 22 1/4" H X 20 1/2" W
D-1000 18" H X 23" W

I cannot see how E* thinks they will gain that much with the 24" dish

The 24" dish give about 10-15 point signal increase over the D500. In the field we always reference Xponder 11. A D1000 usually gives mid-high 50's, D500 low-mid 60s and the 24" dish is right about 80. That is with the upgraded LN-LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)