SEC football ventures north...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I don't have a problem with the SEC, actually Alabama is one of my favorite teams, they are a good and strong conference.
I was just yanking chains. Alabama huh? :mad: ;)

Probably how people feel about the Big East in basketball.
Actually, since I lived near both Milwaukee and now Cincy, and have had the opportunity to attend several Marquette and Bearcat games, I've become a fan of Big East bball. :)

Posted by SamC:

Why would not LSU play Middle Tennessee State in Baton Rouge twice?

Because tickets aren't getting cheaper and the fans want to see a game that's worth paying for. At least here in Wisconsin people are a little upset that the extra home game has been against teams like Cal Poly. They're even more upset that they almost beat us. I guess it's hard to get teams to come here at the end of November, at least teams other than ones that need the good paycheck for doing it. The only way to get schools to play better teams is to put more emphasis on strength of schedule and not just record. Reward teams for going on the road and playing tough games. I don't see that happening anywhere in the near future.

Wow, an hour drive for Ihop? They must be some good pancakes.:)

Posted by SamC:

Because tickets aren't getting cheaper and the fans want to see a game that's worth paying for. At least here in Wisconsin people are a little upset that the extra home game has been against teams like Cal Poly. They're even more upset that they almost beat us. I guess it's hard to get teams to come here at the end of November, at least teams other than ones that need the good paycheck for doing it. The only way to get schools to play better teams is to put more emphasis on strength of schedule and not just record. Reward teams for going on the road and playing tough games. I don't see that happening anywhere in the near future.

Wow, an hour drive for Ihop? They must be some good pancakes.:)

Who's deciding how good a team is to determine strength of schedule ... a computer, that has only the info a potentially biased fan puts in it ?

Jimbo

This is because you have 90 % SEC fans here and the other conferences can't get a point in without being berated normally ... mostly in the football season of course.

Yup. A lot of bandwagon fans here. I doubt all the loudmouths would be chiming in if their precious conference wasn't as good. Sad but true.

This is because you have 90 % SEC fans here...
90% seems a tad high to me. I'd say maybe 30 to 40% that post here are SEC fans, or claim to be anyway. Not even sure if it's that high. Maybe you can come up with a list and their affiliated conferences to better show the numbers? Or how about a thread with a poll to pick the conference you're a fan of?

Last edited:
BTW, mccoy, word of advice for your Tigers- stick to more night games.

IMO, playing the Alabama game in the daytime might not have been a good idea- the evidence lies in the fact that LSU wins most of their big games, if not all of them, when the game starts later.

IMO, playing the Alabama game in the daytime might not have been a good idea- the evidence lies in the fact that LSU wins most of their big games, if not all of them, when the game starts later.
You're right. They have been more successful when playing night games. Not sure why, maybe has something to do with how lathered the crowd is by then. The problem is when you're a draw to the networks, it requires more day games to meet the broadcast schedules. As a result, LSU has been playing less and less at night. But, if you think you deserve to be NC, you should be able to win regarless of the time of day. :)

Georgia schedules respectable non conference in two of the games each year. Last year it was ASU and of course Georgia Tech every year. The SEC has a good conference that has many teams in the top ten each year. They kill each other in season and then have to get through a SEC championship. They don't have the cake opponents that the Big Ten does and also includes no championship game either.

You're right. They have been more successful when playing night games. Not sure why, maybe has something to do with how lathered the crowd is by then. The problem is when you're a draw to the networks, it requires more day games to meet the broadcast schedules. As a result, LSU has been playing less and less at night. But, if you think you deserve to be NC, you should be able to win regarless of the time of day. :)

Actually it's just the opposite.
If you have a top team your often forced to schedule the game later, 4 or 7:30 to accommodate TV. When LSU plays a top team it's a night game.

Georgia schedules respectable non conference in two of the games each year. Last year it was ASU and of course Georgia Tech every year. The SEC has a good conference that has many teams in the top ten each year. They kill each other in season and then have to get through a SEC championship. They don't have the cake opponents that the Big Ten does and also includes no championship game either.

Do we have to go thru this garbage again ?????

Your conference plays a championship game for MONEY ONLY thats it, so they can have another FULL HOUSE of FANS paying TOP DOLLAR to see the game ....
Thats all, also the fact that your conference was not smart enough to stay small enough to accommodate a full schedule.

Ohio State went ot /down to USC last year and ya know what, It wasn't a big deal.
Going out of the conference is not a big deal to a Big 10 team.

Actually it's just the opposite.
If you have a top team your often forced to schedule the game later, 4 or 7:30 to accommodate TV. When LSU plays a top team it's a night game.
It depends when a team traditionally plays their home games. LSU plays all their home games at night, if not televised. If ESPN televises a big game for LSU, then you're right, it's usually a night game. But SEC games televised by CBS and Raycom are always day games. The big SEC game each week usually is on CBS around 3PM ET.

Now for a team like tOSU who plays home games during the day, then you're right again - they would be forced to play later to accomodate network scheduling.

Do we have to go thru this garbage again ?????

Your conference plays a championship game for MONEY ONLY thats it, so they can have another FULL HOUSE of FANS paying TOP DOLLAR to see the game ....
Thats all, also the fact that your conference was not smart enough to stay small enough to accommodate a full schedule.
Just for the hell of it, say the Big 11 did have a CCG. How would you divide the teams up, east and west, or norht and south? I would think the inclination would be north and south to make sure tOSU/Michigan had the opportunity to play each other in the championship.

Not always.

LSU and Florida have played the past two years at 8PM ET, and I expect that trend to continue for a third straight year.
You're right. I stand corrected. They have been televising them at 8PM the last couple of years now that I think about it.

Just for the hell of it, say the Big 11 did have a CCG. How would you divide the teams up, east and west, or norht and south? I would think the inclination would be north and south to make sure tOSU/Michigan had the opportunity to play each other in the championship.

Here's a reason to be against a CCG.
M and OSU played every year for a 1000 years now.
IF you go to a CCG that may not happen.
If you put them in the same side, whicj most conferences would not do, then you are eliminating one of your best teams before the season starts, remember, you can only have 2 teams in the BSC.
It's the same problem that the Big 12 had this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)