Second antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Musky boy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
I live in Tolono Illinois......8 miles South of Champaign-Urbana. I use a Winegard MS-2000 (Omnidirectional) mounted in my attic to get my HD Locals. I get reception on all of the locals that I expect to, but my FOX signal out of Gifford Illinois (37 Miles away) is kinda weak (low 70's) causing problems in bad weather (usually when the wife is cheering for Tony Stewart.....I hate Nascar). Thinking of installing a Winegard Squared Shooter SS-1000 or SS-2000 (amplified) to the set up and directing to the FOX locatoin.

Questions:

1. Any body have any better suggestions? The access to my attic is ownly 22" by 22" square and I do not want anything on top of the house. Also have tried some indoor powered antenna's. Not impressed with them.

2. If I go with the Square Shooter, should I go with the powered one since I already have a power inserter with the MS-2000?

3. How do I connect the feeds into one cable?

4. My other channles come in between 80 and 90% signal strength. Is that good?

Thanks,

Musky Boy:cool:

WCCU-DT 27.1 FOX URBANA IL 88° ch 26

for 37 miles in an attic like the antennas direct 43xg with a ch 26 jointenna combined with your current antenna. The bowties work better on tuxedos then in an attic.

only issue...the jointennas attenuate signal 5 channels either side, do not know what your adjacent channels are, and you need to wire things up correctly since the ms2000 is amplified and you need to pass the juice to the antenna.

smiling...the ms2000's make some of us nuts. but if it works so be it.

Last edited:
oljim,
I refuse to put an antenna on my roof.....and my hole to my attic is 2' by 2'........please recommend your one "good" antenna that will make it up there. I will gladly purchase it. Keep in mind I am trying to pull channles that are due west of my house 31 miles, Northwest of my house 14 miles, North east 30 miles, and almost due east 19 miles. The hardest one to get is the one that is 30 miles north east. With the transmitters being anywhere from 268 degrees to 75 degrees, I assume I need an omni directional antenna or several directional antennas. All channles are in the uhf range except one....and it is a pbs that comes in very well no matter what.

John

Last edited:
the 43 xg measures 19" H x 18" W x 62" L and would fit your opening.

you can always attach the screens once inside the attic. you would combine the 43xg with your current antenna through a cm jointenna for ch 26.

Rick,

Your idea looks good. A few questions:

1. Is there an advantage to using the Jointenna instead of a splitter. I have read information supporting either method? What has been your experience with either setup?

2. Is the 43xg better than the Winegard SquareShooter or just different.

3. Any suggestions on how to tie the system together. Currently have the Power inserter for the ms-2000 in the attic with the antenna because I run 3 tv's off of this antenna, and winegard say's to put power inserter before any splitter. How will this work with multiple powered antenna's and multiple power inserters?

Thanks for the help,

John

"The JoinTenna blocks all frequencies but the one it is tuned for, eliminating the ghosting and reflection that can happen when you connect two antennas together with splitters."

The 43xg will out perform the square shooter at 1/2 the cost.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=TD-43XG

jointenna for ch26 cm0585-1. The 43xg will be for the one fox channel and the ms-2000 for others. ch 26 is the transmit channel for fox digital...correct? and the ms 2000 is fine for all the others correct?

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/antennas/Jointennas.htm

-ch 26 uhf antenna (43xg) to ch 26 input of jointenna
-main antenna, ms-2000 "to tv" of power inserter to all ch input of jointenna
-to tv output of jointenna to splitters.

please note. the jointenna will attenuate 5 channels either side of ch 26. you did not supply any channel info or zip code so I am running blind.

Rick,

Thanks, very helpful. All of your assumptions were correct.

I do have a pbs channle at 22. I assume that I might have issues with that channle, but I never watch it anyway. I have another pbs that is in the vhs range that is very strong.

I have one more question just out of curiosity........is ghosting a problem with digital? I assume it is only a problem with analog. From what I understand about digital, the picture is either perfect or not at all.

I could understand that the "ghost" signal might be seen in the form of a lower reception signal.

Thanks again,

John

Oh yea.....zip is 61880 and I am only concerned about the digitals.

Last edited:
ch 22 is far enough away. affect should be small.

ghosting=multipath

With digital signals, multipath can cause processing errors and affect the quality of signal . The signal can fluctuate up and down causing dropouts.

If you suspect multipath at your location, it is best to select an antenna that would tame this affect.

Do you have ghosting on analog there?

I am interested in ordering Dish for a few international packages. I have one coax cable going down from my attic to two rooms. Can I hook both a Windgard ms-2000 and the Dish feed into the same coax cable?
I want to use a HD set for over-the-air and the Dish (I know the international stuff is not HD) for German and Polish TV.

I am interested in ordering Dish for a few international packages. I have one coax cable going down from my attic to two rooms. Can I hook both a Windgard ms-2000 and the Dish feed into the same coax cable?
I want to use a HD set for over-the-air and the Dish (I know the international stuff is not HD) for German and Polish TV.

It is doable, but not recommmended, especially if any of your OTA or Satellite signals are low.

Diplexing the OTA signal into the satellite signal will cause a drop in signal strength for both.

Rick,

Ghosting has not been an issue on analog. I thought that ghosting was caused by multiple antenna's. I figured adding a second antenna would result in ghosting/reduced signal strength for my digitals (the ones that will rely on the ms2000). Sounds like what I need to do is follow your advise from your first post to me. Will be ordering a 43xg and a ch26 jointenna.

Thanks a ton for educating me in the matter,

John Kleiss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts