Second ebay bought reciver arrived

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kevinn

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2006
New Orleans
Dead on arrivqal, second one in a row. This confirms to me now that one should never buy used satellite receivers on ebay ever. This is the second one in a row, curious as to how many others have had this problem or is it my typical bad luck.

Someone told me - If I didn't have bad luck, I would have none at all.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&item=280000569051

This just blows me away, makes me want to go back to bed. Honest people are getting harder and harder to find these days.

So has this happened to you?

I have NEVER bought anything from E-Bay!

Works out cheaper to buy from our GOLD sponsors, then there is the warranty and the support they provide!

Also support your local satellite professional!

I bought two receivers on Ebay before I knew to check for a balance. I now have two boat anchors.

It was kinda fun messing with the CSR though.

CSR:"I'm sorry sir but that receiver has a balance owed"
Me: "Ok, then I'll send it to you and you can extract the money from it and then send it back to me."
CSR: "aaahhhh"

Gold sellers?

I am looking for inexpensive C/Ku Analog receivers and one mroe digital receiver. Cheap as I am not made of cash these days.

Please point me in the right direction

I'd try thrift stores.

One time I was in the local 'Savers' there was a pile 6 high of analog receivers.

The 4DTV I'm using right now was bought at this same thrift store for $7.99! I wasn't lucky enough to be the one who found it but I was more than happy to trade my Pansat for it :).

No good here

Shawn95GT said:
I'd try thrift stores.

One time I was in the local 'savers' there was a pile 6 high of analog receivers.

The 4DTV I'm using right now was bought at this same thrift store for $7.99! I wasn't lucky enough to be the one who found it but I was more than happy to trade my Pansat for it :).

Most of if not all the thrift stores here are either 1) gone completely- physically gone or 2) closed down because they had 12 foot of water in them.

Its not a thrift store heaven here any more. I can't even give away to good will or red white and blue our old chothes that dont fit anyone here any more. Nobody is taking items locally because they are either destroyed or not operating. Few are but ONLY doing FEMA voucher sales of furniture and you have to make an appointment to walk in the door now.

Any other ideas?

Otherwise this 8 foot dish is going into the trash pile.

kevinn said:
Most of if not all the thrift stores here are either 1) gone completely- physically gone or 2) closed down because they had 12 foot of water in them.
That would be a problem!

I can't go tonight but I'll make it a point to check the local thrift store for anything that looks usefull and is cheap. I gave away the last two I had before I installed the 4DTV.

The only problem with used receivers is that they usually don't include the remote which makes them a royal pain to use.

Shawn

Thanks!

Shawn95GT said:
That would be a problem!

I can't go tonight but I'll make it a point to check the local thrift store for anything that looks usefull and is cheap. I gave away the last two I had before I installed the 4DTV.

The only problem with used receivers is that they usually don't include the remote which makes them a royal pain to use.

Shawn

Million thanks!

The OLD ones are the good ones for analog signals, old school manual tuning on the front face.

kevinn
What's wrong with this one?

Also, are you looking for an analog or digital box? What you posted was digital.

Correct

Iceberg said:
kevinn
What's wrong with this one?

Also, are you looking for an analog or digital box? What you posted was digital.

I bought that one because I have a dish farm so plenty dishes to point and no receivers. I have that 8 foot I want to run a analog c/Ku band with and the digital for that as well as the smaller dishes. i bought that one new which has not arrived but the two used one I bought on ebay both arrived dead on me. I am back to square one.

I also want analog.

Shawn95GT said:
I'd try thrift stores.
The thrift stores around here will not take recievers/ dishs. Apparently they have seen to many of them lol. I have asked them to keep an eye out for dishs/ recievers that meet certain specs as i told them there was a use for them and for them to call me, but no calls so far..........

Until eBay unconditionally guarantees all transactions, and acts on such violations consistantly, I will never buy off of eBay, it's fiscal roulette.

Yes but...

Iceberg said:
So the one you just got doesn't power up?

The new one is the Buzz unit you had mentioned before??

I have a new Buzz unit in shipping right now on its way.

I bought three receivers on ebay, the first was the Fortec, arrived dead and would not function, Tron looked it over very well and confirmed my conclusions that it was electronically dead via a logic problem. The second arrived today the one in the ebay link I posted, it had a blown capacitor rattling around inside, using a borescope I could see the fuse was black and the power supply board was also burned fairly well. Either a surge from lightning strike as I have seen many across my bench when I was a tech at a TV shop or it was the result of the power supply board failing miserably. The point is, it was stated clearly in the auction it worked great and in good condition, this sort of problem does not arise in shipping.. It was dead before the guy shipped it and he obviously did not check the unit and had no way of knowing how to check it or even test it. being it had a european polug adapter on it which was not mentioned in the auction could possibly be part of the culprit.

I could replace the power suppyl but I need the voltages from the ribbon cable to the main board, usually B+12VDC and a 5 volt logic and megative 5 volt. I am curious as to the other leads coming from the supply, a schematic would greatly benefit me but the fact remains the same, I wqas sold junk twice, a little bummed and wondering if its just my bad luck I have that follows me everywhere I go.

I can buy something new at the store get home open it up and its either missing parts or broken, honestly happens enough for me to dig to the back of shelves when shopping and I NEVER EVER buy a box that could have even possibly have been opened before.

My bad luck.

I have nothing but great expectations for the new BUZZ coming. I need analog C and Ku now and one more digital to do what I want to do. News Feeds and surfing the skies. One day I would like to play with radio astronomy.

Hey Kevin
I have a GI 350i with the vii rs installed if you want something to play around with.
I'm not using the unit now (don't have a c-band dish ) plus I have the remote.
Give me a call on the phone or email me and we can meet somewhere between slidell and N.O.
rdel (randy)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts