Seek Remote Control or New Receiver Advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

StarGazer1951

Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Kansas City
It's taken a couple of years, but I am back to assembling my FTA package - much of it picked up free. Here is the list.
+ 8 ft. mesh dish (from a new home owner who didn't want it).
+ Mounted on a non-penetrating mount intended for commercial building roof, but I have it on the ground (from a building owner who was going to toss it over the side of a 2 story building!)
+ Actuator mounted and working well.
+ C and Ku band LNB's taken from working satellite systems being removed from another roof.
+ Chapparral dual feed horn.
+ Echostar SRD-4000 receiver
+ Chaparral Sierra II Receiver
+ Remote for IRD-3040

Everything is being hooked together using the excellent information on this website. My problem is the remote control. It does not work at all with the Chaparral Sierra II and only sort of works with the Echostar SRD-4000. (e.g.: I could run the actuator to the east limit, but the button selecting the opposite direction did not function. I had to reverse the wires to test the west limit.) I opened the remote and cleaned the contacts, but it still acts very flaky. I also bought a Universal Remote, but could not get it to function with either receiver.

I believe I could fully utilize the Echostar if I could locate a remote. Any ideas?

Otherwise I suspect I will need to purchase a digital receiver with dish tuning capabilities, but none of them seem to have that function. Some of the previous notes on this site have talked obtaining an analog receiver to turn the dish, but I am so close here to success I would hate to buy another receiver just for the remote.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stargazer1951

I think that Echostar is the same thing as Houston Tracker, not sure if remotes will interchange. I had one at one time, years ago, but the remote quit working about the same time as the receiver got hit by lightning, so it all got tossed. There are some universal remotes around for fta receivers, and they will work some of the older analog receivers too, Check our sponsors, or ebay for them. I've even bought cheap universal remotes at walmart that had some codes listed for analog receivers. Sadouns had one of those universals for fta, for sale on their website, last time I looked.

Looking through my collection of old remotes, I find that both Radio Shack brand units have codes listed for Echostar and Chapparal satellite receivers. One is the model 150-2126 "Four-in-One" remote that is colored to look like an American flag, the other is a large silver "Eight-in-One" LCD remote model 15-100.

I have used the 150-2126 with my old Chapparal Monterey Analog receiver and it worked fine.

I expect other older Radio Shack brand remotes will have similar compatibility with older satellite receivers. Owner's manuals for nearly all Radio Shack products can be downloaded from their website.

At some point you will want to get a Digital satellite receiver, since there is not much left on Analog. If money is tight, I suggest a used Coolsat 5000 or 6000 from eBay. If funds are available, a new unit that will tune DVB-S2 / MPEG4 HD signals would be the best choice.

Thank you!

Excellent advice. Thank you.
BTW, I'm interested in programming from other countries (Yes - I used to be an avid shortwave listener.).
I've looked at the receivers that tune DVB-S2 / MPEG4 HD signals. An Open Box S9 runs around $ 100 - which would be in the right ball park. But I noticed they do not have the connections for the actuator or polarity switch. Wouldn't I still need something working in order to steer the dish?
Thank you for clearing up my confusion.

Stargazer - 1951

Excellent advice. Thank you.
BTW, I'm interested in programming from other countries (Yes - I used to be an avid shortwave listener.).
I've looked at the receivers that tune DVB-S2 / MPEG4 HD signals. An Open Box S9 runs around $ 100 - which would be in the right ball park. But I noticed they do not have the connections for the actuator or polarity switch. Wouldn't I still need something working in order to steer the dish?
Thank you for clearing up my confusion.

Stargazer - 1951

The receiver by itself can not move your c-band dish, you need a seperate control box for that,

You can still use your old Analog receiver to control the dish position.

I would suggest you get a new C-band LNBF with polarity switched by voltage, so the new receiver can control the polarity setting.

The add-on boxes for new digital receivers to control a C-band positioner are called "V-box" or "G-box" I have no experience with either, and they get mixed reviews, so study up on them before buying.

Thanks again for all of the great advice.
Making good progress. I was able to get the remote working and the Echostar receiver to steer the dish, but only in about a 20 degree arc. I'm certain that the limits need to be re-set on the receiver. I know that 66 readies the receiver for a command function, but in my available references have not been able to locate the what the command functions are for arc limit set. The most helpful web site on how to set up a satellite say in connection to the limits to refer to the manual - which of course I do not have. Would anyone happen to have any ideas or an old manual for the Echostar SRD-4000?
My plan at this point is to use this receiver to steer the dish and to purchase a digital receiver for the actual reception.
Thank you.

I highly recommend using the Gbox:

Sadoun Powertech GBOX V3000 Positioner DiSEqC 1.2 Compatible

It is on sale too. They are great. Using a analog receiver is ok, but it sure is a pain. With the Gbox you just change channels and the dish goes right to the sat. Very nice...Sure beats having to find a channel by putting the receiver on the channel you want and having to move the dish till it pops in...never know if you passed it etc.

Regular price is $79 I think...$59 is a steal.

Thanks again for all of the great advice.
Making good progress. I was able to get the remote working and the Echostar receiver to steer the dish, but only in about a 20 degree arc. I'm certain that the limits need to be re-set on the receiver. I know that 66 readies the receiver for a command function, but in my available references have not been able to locate the what the command functions are for arc limit set. The most helpful web site on how to set up a satellite say in connection to the limits to refer to the manual - which of course I do not have. Would anyone happen to have any ideas or an old manual for the Echostar SRD-4000?
My plan at this point is to use this receiver to steer the dish and to purchase a digital receiver for the actual reception.
Thank you.

The instructions on the webpage linked to below might help. "Erase all memory" should do it if nothing else will.

Programing the Echostar SRD-4000 Satellite Receiver

I had the SRD3000, I think it was about the same, except without the motor-control box. Seems to me there was a small recessed button on the remote that you had to push with a pencil-point, to set the limits. Your actuator might have the limits set also....there's a little cam inside the actuator that you can adjust to set limits that way also.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)