self-install new customer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikeinaustin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I've been searching this site and have come up with conflicting answers to this. for a new customer, some say dtv will not allow a self-install, others say yes. i did the online chat today, and dtv said yes they would ship the equipment to my house and allow me to install it as a new customer. is that true or were they just trying to get credit for a sale?

as for the actual "self-install", i have a friend that has all the needed equipment and does installs for dtv/dish from time to time so he would actually do it for me.

I thought they had gotten away from self installs for new customers, but perhaps not based on your online chat session.

DirecTV's policy is not to allow self-installs for new customers so I am not sure what is going on...

i did the online chat today, and dtv said yes they would ship the equipment to my house and allow me to install it as a new customer. is that true or were they just trying to get credit for a sale?
You were lied to; probably for the reason you offered.

With a "free" install it is very difficult why on earth you would want to do a "self-install". Unless, like me, you want some of the in-wall wiring to be done a special way. I did all the special wiring myself and let the installer do all the rest. I couldn't be happier. With a free install it just seemed silly to me to try to do it myself.

You may be better off doing the install yourself. My installer was not a professional and the install is not complete. People say I just got "unlucky" but 5 years ago I had a similar experience with a directv install.

When DTV came around to install the new HD dishes, I asked the installer to just leave the dish. Had a friend who installed for cable and did some special wiring for an additional room. Also had a bad install in the past.

With a "free" install it is very difficult why on earth you would want to do a "self-install". Unless, like me, you want some of the in-wall wiring to be done a special way. I did all the special wiring myself and let the installer do all the rest. I couldn't be happier. With a free install it just seemed silly to me to try to do it myself.

That's what I did because I didn't want the house wrapped in coax. Nothing says you can't wire the inside yourself.. But they're not going to just ship the stuff to you.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using some Tappity Talkity thing.

I am sure if you have a dish & receiver all set to go, call them & wanna start giving them money on a monthly basis, they will not refuse you.

Years ago my father in law done a self-install with no problems on either side.
When I had dish-network install my system years ago, I told the installer where and how I wanted him to run my coax and he done a good job on it.
But.....every-time I farted I lost my TV signals and didn't matter if there was sunshine, cloudy or rain. And since I did not have a maintenance plan with them, dish-network wanted to charge me $95 for their poor satellite alignment, which brought me to sites like this one. I done the adjustment myself and it was a whole lot better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts