Self Install Options

guapoharry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
32ºN 111ºW
I have been telling my parents to get off of cable. They are practically sold on the idea but don't want to wait around for an installer to show up and go through the hassle of that.

I can do the install for them.

Would Dish or some retailer offer to ship out the equipment with an install kit and let the customer do it themselves?

Dish Direct will not allow self installs unless the account is opened as a CASH & Carry. Contact the local dealer serving the area and inquire what their install options may be.....

I have a similar questions. I currently have Dish NOW Prepaid and might want to move to monthly in the next couple months (want locals). Can I just buy a receiver (say from dishstore.net) and have them activate it? Will they let me do that? Dish Customer Care chat said i should be able to do that by activating "month-to-month" but you never know, each rep says something different.

There's really no point for an installer to come out if I already have the dish installed (and it's working perfectly).

Check out ebay and buy the dish and receiver you want and they will activate it with no contract, thats what I did. I bought a 722 and a 1000.4 and installed it myself. Dish does not want people to lease and do a self install because of all the tech calls they would constantly be getting. It is not hard to point a dish using the receiver signal strenght meter, it just takes so patients and dishpointer dot com.

Last edited:
Check out ebay and buy the dish and receiver you want and they will activate it with no contract, thats what I did. I bought a 722 and a 1000.4 and installed it myself. Dish does not want people to lease and do a self install because of tall the tech calls they would constantly be getting. It is not hard to point a dish using the receiver signal strenght meter, it just takes so patients and dishpointer dot com.

Thanks for the quick reply, that's exactly what I wanted to do. I already have a Dish 500 setup and working, but I'm thinking I might as well go HD while i'm changing everything over.

One more quick question, I heard rumors that there is a $100 "activation fee" is this true?

Thanks for the quick reply, that's exactly what I wanted to do. I already have a Dish 500 setup and working, but I'm thinking I might as well go HD while i'm changing everything over.

One more quick question, I heard rumors that there is a $100 "activation fee" is this true?
As far as I know no. I was not charged an activation fee. I did make sure when I bought my receivers on ebay to call dish and check the serial numbers with them to make sure there was not a balance on the account. One was new so it did not matter, but I checked it anyway. I checked the serial number thru there tech department. I figured they would know what to do rather than deal with the regular customer service reps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)