Sell me on DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

varaonaid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hello,

I don't want this to be a flame post or anything - I honestly don't. I've posed the same question for E* subscribers as well.

We're moving this month and finally will be able to get satellite service! Very excited about that! However, I'm not completely sold on which company to go with. To be honest, I've been leaning towards D* but am having some second thoughts. I'd really like to hear your honest opinions about your experiences with DirecTV. We've been living in a winter rental which already had Dish (SD) and we haven't been terribly impressed with all the jewelry channels, etc nor the SD picture quality but to be fair, we have an HDTV & didn't have E*'s HD service.

So, please tell me all about your DirecTV experiences. I'm interested in hearing about everything - signal stability, pic quality, number of channels, features that you can't live without, new features coming down the pipeline, new channels coming, available transponder space for adding new channels, software, VOD, price, hardware, customer service, the CE program...anything and everything. Please tell my why you stayed/switched/wouldn't consider anything else/can't wait to leave. When I talked to the person in sales yesterday she mentioned that they have x number of HD channels (can't remember the exact number she quoted) then added "with more to come later this year". Anyone know anything about this? How is D* looking in terms of future space for adding more channels?

Just a quick note about my setup: we have three TV's - two HD's and an SD (though there's a chance that we'll upgrade to an HD for the third one either later this year or next). Need at least one DVR. Would like to be able to watch recorded programs on both of the HDTV's (don't really care if they both have their own DVR or are able to share somehow but am not too wild about paying $200 for a 2nd HD-DVR). The SDTV will be in the basement, the other two upstairs. Doesn't look like our location is very good for receiving OTA locals according to TVfool.com and antennaweb.org. I guess that's the basics...if I've left out any pertinent data, please let me know.

I'm going to be taking another look at pricing/channel lineup, etc but nothing can take the place of hearing advice and experiences from folks who have had the service. Thanks so much in advance!

I've been with them since 9-11-01. Never even thought about changing. I love the PQ and the HD- DVR's, which have a lot of capacity, something I need since I only watch sports live. They have always been quick to fix my problems, which have been few compared to my experience with the local cable co. (COMCRAP). Plus they are cheaper than cable here in the Detroit area, but that was never a consideration for me. I don't know what area you live in, but you may wish to check on the availability of local channels.

Hope this helps. I'm not a fanboy, just a satisfied customer.

Hello,

I don't want this to be a flame post or anything - I honestly don't. I've posed the same question for E* subscribers as well.

We're moving this month and finally will be able to get satellite service! Very excited about that! However, I'm not completely sold on which company to go with. To be honest, I've been leaning towards D* but am having some second thoughts. I'd really like to hear your honest opinions about your experiences with DirecTV. We've been living in a winter rental which already had Dish (SD) and we haven't been terribly impressed with all the jewelry channels, etc nor the SD picture quality but to be fair, we have an HDTV & didn't have E*'s HD service.

So, please tell me all about your DirecTV experiences. I'm interested in hearing about everything - signal stability, pic quality, number of channels, features that you can't live without, new features coming down the pipeline, new channels coming, available transponder space for adding new channels, software, VOD, price, hardware, customer service, the CE program...anything and everything. Please tell my why you stayed/switched/wouldn't consider anything else/can't wait to leave. When I talked to the person in sales yesterday she mentioned that they have x number of HD channels (can't remember the exact number she quoted) then added "with more to come later this year". Anyone know anything about this? How is D* looking in terms of future space for adding more channels?

Just a quick note about my setup: we have three TV's - two HD's and an SD (though there's a chance that we'll upgrade to an HD for the third one either later this year or next). Need at least one DVR. Would like to be able to watch recorded programs on both of the HDTV's (don't really care if they both have their own DVR or are able to share somehow but am not too wild about paying $200 for a 2nd HD-DVR). The SDTV will be in the basement, the other two upstairs. Doesn't look like our location is very good for receiving OTA locals according to TVfool.com and antennaweb.org. I guess that's the basics...if I've left out any pertinent data, please let me know.

I'm going to be taking another look at pricing/channel lineup, etc but nothing can take the place of hearing advice and experiences from folks who have had the service. Thanks so much in advance!

I think for most of us it comes down to the programming/cost issue. What does each company offer for the money. In many respects they are very close. For me, being a Yankee fan, I chose Directv because they have the YES network and Dish doesn't. I doubt there is a 1% difference from one provider to the other in all the facets you asked about. I would call each and ask what sort of deal they will give you. Compare the offers carefully, and remember, GET IT IN WRITING, or at least an email. Good luck!

Unless you can get a fiber optic connection (FIOS) you can't beat the quality of DirecTV HD.:)

I've been with DirecTV since 11/96. I have had only good experiences with installation of new different dishes and have had no problems that required them to fix something.

I did have Dish a bunch of years back for just their Superstation pack (used my DirecTV dish at 119 for that). The only problem I had with them is getting them to stop sending me emails about my account being ready for payment after I canceled. This went on for months and a bunch of emails to them. They kept sending an email that my balance was $0. I even tried to make a $0 payment for the fun of it. At least their system didn't allow that. :)

I prefer to stay with DirecTV and not go through changing just because one provider may offer a bit more.

BTW. FIOS will almost never be an option for me and TWC is a joke.

Go with Directv and don't even think twice.
Dish Network will always screwing with my billing and can never get it right.
Directv is FAR better when it comes to sports and I would even say movies. Directv has 1080p movies, VOD, more sports packages, and better technology. People will say Dish Network has better DVR's but not for long as Directv is always upgrading their currently DVR's but with Dish a new DVR is required. Also, dish will have the new slingbox HD DVR soon but save your money and buy a slingbox and hook your it up to your dvr, DVD player, and other sources and you are set.
Directv is better.

I was an E* subscriber for over 2 years and have now been a D* subscriber for about 2 weeks. I am very happy I have switched to D*. If you like sports, there is no question, go with D*. (especially if you want your local sports team's games in HD, NFL Sunday Ticket, or MLB Extra Innings) Right now, E* has the advantage with premiums, but I'm hoping that D* will catch up with the launch of their next satellite in September. In terms of HD other than sports or premiums, they are about equal. The thing I really like about D* is that they seem to be MUCH more organized from a billing / account management perspective. Everything from the web site, to customer service. Equipment-wise I think they are close. E*'s equipment is faster, but D* has more features, for the most part. Overall, I am very glad I made the switch.

As for new subscriber deals, if you are a AAA member (and you can join for about $50), you can get an additional $10 off per month for 2 years on top of the nationally advertised deal. Plus, if your credit is decent, you can get a HD-DVR for free, and a second one for $99. I say, go for D*!

Last edited:
It depends on your needs.

DISH:

If you want a simple low cost package without too much extra equipment and programming, then Dish is probably the best for you buck. If you like movies, Dish is probably the way to go as well.

DIRECT:

If you like sports, then Direct is your best bet. If you add a lot of programming and equipment, then Direct may be cheaper in that arena as well.

You may also want to look into what each provides in the way of locals as well; if that is important to you.

Unless you can get a fiber optic connection (FIOS) you can't beat the quality of DirecTV HD.:)

For the record, I canceled FiOS TV to move to DirecTV. The HD sports, especially the hockey is what sold me. Other points in favor of DirecTV are much better DVRs, caller ID on screen, and accurate billing.

The PQ on SD is better on FiOS but with 100 or so HD channels I don't care. The HD picture on my 62" DLP is just as good as FiOS.

If you're a movie freak, FiOS or Dish would likely be better bets. DirecTV is a bit weak on premiums.

I had them both hooked up at the same time to my HDTV and D* had a much better picture than E*. I've been with D* since 97 (except for a small stint with Voom) I pay 150$ a month but the taxes for TV signal in Florida is real high. I have 3 movie packages also.

I've been with them since 1999 and can't imagine going anywhere else, especially back to cable. Although some folks here complain about customer service and installation, I've always been treated with respect and have never had issues with them. The work was done right the first time and never had a problem that required a followup. Am I happy with them? Sure am!

If you go with Directv don't forget that you can get a referral from the staff ;) and save $100 on top of ANY deal you can get.

I have been with directv for 8 years. I have always received decent service. Their picture quality and channel selection far surpasses my local cable company. I have had a few issues with installers but that is probably hit and miss.

That being said, I am canceling my service this month. I have had a serious issue with price creep. Every 6 months or so, my bill creeps up a few more dollars. I am now paying $78 for basic service, with locals, HD, and DVR. In my opinion this is entirely too much money for what I consider a very basic setup. When I call and complain, I am offered very little help.

I can move to an over the air antenna with a standalone HD DVR and get 85% of the programming that I want with no monthly fees. TV just is not worth $1000 a year to me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)