Senate Panel Calls Hearing on DirecTV's Sunday Ticket Package

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
November 13, 2006
Source: TVWeek.com

Senate Panel Calls Hearing on DirecTV's Sunday Ticket Package
By Ira Teinowitz
Concerned that the NFL's exclusive Sunday Ticket package with DirecTV may be disenfranchising cable subscribers, the outgoing chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled a last-minute hearing for Tuesday to talk about the package's antitrust implications.
Story continues below...

The hearing was called by Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., who in January is expected to be replaced by Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., as committee chairman.

NFL's exclusive deal with DirecTV for the NFL Sunday Ticket package lets DirecTV subscribers see multiple NFL games that aren't broadcast locally and aren't available on cable.

Sen. Specter in the past has occasionally indicated concern about sports antitrust issues.

Officials from DirecTV and Time Warner Cable and the NFL's general counsel are among witnesses slated to testify at Tuesday's hearing.

An NFL spokesman said the league has been told Sen. Specter wants to discuss the NFL's overall TV policy and said the senator has occasionally scheduled hearings to discuss the issue going back to the days of NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle, who held the post from 1960 through 1989.

The spokesman said the NFL is pleased to have the discussion, "since our longstanding emphasis on making our games available on free over-the-air TV has helped make us the most popular sport in the country."

Yeah, but he won't do a damn thing about the CSN Philly loophole... Specter's in the pocket of the Roberts!

Competition is best, all carriers like Cable/Dish Net/FiOS should be allowed to carry

DirecTV should not be allowed to monopolize the NFL. The NFL would make much more then 3.5 Billion paid by DirecTV to offer all carriers the option to offer the NFL. Also it would bring costs down for everyone if they had more competition.
:hatsoff:

DirecTV should not be allowed to monopolize the NFL. The NFL would make much more then 3.5 Billion paid by DirecTV to offer all carriers the option to offer the NFL. Also it would bring costs down for everyone if they had more competition.
:hatsoff:

but Commycast can use an old loophole to depry satellite sports fans in Philly from seeing their team?

And the FCC had the opportunity to close that loophole and they failed.

cybrsurfer said:
DirecTV should not be allowed to monopolize the NFL.

The bidding was fair and open to them all, only DirecTV came through; then later they both agreed to an option to extend the contract as I remember.

I don't feel the Comcast should be allowed to monopolize either...

but Commycast can use an old loophole to depry satellite sports fans in Philly from seeing their team?

And the FCC had the opportunity to close that loophole and they failed.

All carriers should be allowed to have access to programming, it's best for the customers to have the option to choose.

Interesting I wasn't aware bidding was open to all...

The bidding was fair and open to them all, only DirecTV came through; then later they both agreed to an option to extend the contract as I remember.

Despite the open bidding, it should still be revised every few years to allow companies to enter and leave.

Oh I agree, and I agree with the above statement that ALL PROGRAMMING should be open to all providers and to ALL CUSTOMERS and let the market sort out the losers. BUT my point was that at least they all had their opportunity, but let it get away; the bidding was not open to only DirecTV.

Despite the open bidding, it should still be revised every few years to allow companies to enter and leave.

It is, at the end of the current D* contract, IF the NFL and D* decide to "Extend the contract" It's like all other contracts.

I think it would be impossible for the cable companies to get involved, as a whole, not ALL cable companies would want to offer it or be able to afford it, and that would take the oppertunity away from the customer.

It would be different if ALL cable companies would be required to carry it, but that won't happen.
It would be great for the LARGE cable companies, but for those in small areas would lose the ability to get the ST at that point.

Jimbo

The Senate has far bigger problems... Especially turning communist.... I mean democrat... they have plenty on their minds.

The Senate has far bigger problems... Especially turning communist.... I mean democrat... they have plenty on their minds.

HAHA, that's precious, a republican calling the Dems commies, that's the pot calling the kettle black.

Anyway, this will be interesting to see if Directv makes a point about Comcast's monopolizing Philly sports. It's disgusting that such a blatant monopolization can occur(Philly Sports), basically with blessings, yet Directv and the NFL can be squeezed to stop their's.

Hopefully with Specter being replaced, the days of Comcast's influence will eventually be numbered.

Last edited:
90 minute hearing and it's all over! Just a show by Spector. He stated he wouldn't be proposing any legislation on this subject. This was just a political show for his contributors. They all do it!

I think the main issue is that anyone in the U.S. can have D*, whereas Comcrap, Cox, TW, etc...are all regional. Cox is the cable company here so if Comcrap got rights to it, I'd be SOL. Who are we kidding though, D* will always pony up more $$$$$ for the NFL.

This is positively absurd on the part of any member of congress.... as charper1 states, it was open-bidding. The same bidding that gave CBS the AFC package; FOX the NFC package; NBC the Sunday Night package; and ESPN the Monday night package. Every NFL contract is based on bidding.

The NFL owns the product and is free to dictate how, where, and when it is sold. This is not a case of D* holding the NFL - or the viewing public - hostage.

I wish the cable companies could win this one. The NFL packaged is so overpriced compared to the NBA, NHL and other packages. The extensive price increases every year has caused many of us to drop it. Maybe if there was competition D* wouldn't be ripping everyone off so bad for it.

On the other hand I would also want the cable companies to be required to allow access to all, for their exclusive programing, things like the Philly Sports Network and INHD, to mention a few.

So If the cable companies win this one, Who controls/owns the rights?

Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T or whoever?

What if I have Time Warner and Comcast wins the deal?

Do you really think Comcast is going to share the wealth?

and allow every other cable company and their customers to watch the games without having to bend over first.

How much would that cost?

Stupid waste of time and MONEY!, Someone's just looking for face time and make some contributors happy.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts