Senate Panel Calls Hearing on DirecTV's Sunday Ticket Package

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So If the cable companies win this one, Who controls/owns the rights?

Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T or whoever?

What if I have Time Warner and Comcast wins the deal?

Do you really think Comcast is going to share the wealth?

and allow every other cable company and their customers to watch the games without having to bend over first.

How much would that cost?

Stupid waste of time and MONEY!, Someone's just looking for face time and make some contributors happy.

Move along, nothing to see here.

It's a really stupid argument by the cable companies. Each of them has a regional monopoly since there are no wired competitors within a service area. Their subscriber bases are much higher than their combined satellite competitors. They offer municipalities a way to deliver town-council and board-of-ed meetings which satellite simply can't do economically, and yes there are people who choose cable over sat for that reason.

The only reason the cable companies are investing in this case is because if they somehow manage to win, it's likely to economically decapitate and castrate D*.

And there would be one predictable outcome after D*'s loss: the cable companies would hold the strings to NFL programming and would RAISE rather than lower the ST subscription price. That's just the way cable companies do business: through intimidation.

I wish the cable companies could win this one. The NFL packaged is so overpriced compared to the NBA, NHL and other packages. The extensive price increases every year has caused many of us to drop it. Maybe if there was competition D* wouldn't be ripping everyone off so bad for it.

On the other hand I would also want the cable companies to be required to allow access to all, for their exclusive programing, things like the Philly Sports Network and INHD, to mention a few.

Actually Lou,
I think if it did go to cable, they would see the money D* was getting and more than likely be in the same ballpark, I don't see it going elsewhere to be a way to save money, unless ALL provider have access to it, even then, I'm not sure it would help.

Jimbo

DirecTV should not be allowed to monopolize the NFL. The NFL would make much more then 3.5 Billion paid by DirecTV to offer all carriers the option to offer the NFL. Also it would bring costs down for everyone if they had more competition.
:hatsoff:
Competition is great..It's best for the economy..That's why DTV sought to outbid all others for the NFL contract..The NFL has absolute control over their product..Why not, it's their product...DTV is not monopolzing anything..They won a bid for exclusive rights to distribute NFL property. That property being out of market games..If anyone has a problem with the exclusivity of the DTV contract, they should gripe to the NFL..The NFL set the conditions....
If Leahy screws with the NFL the league is within it's rights to negotiate with no one...And there go the out of market games....Would the NFL do that? Who knows...
BTW the number is $9.5 billion..4.5 for the deal thru 2006 and the 5.0 billion for he extension thru 2010...
Leahy should stick with trying to figure out better, more efficient ways of getting maple syrup to market.....

All carriers should be allowed to have access to programming, it's best for the customers to have the option to choose.
Those carriers have that right..Those carriers also must pay for those rights...All intersted parties were offerered the opportunity to bid fo rthe NFL contract...DTV was the winner...That's business....case closed...

HAHA, that's precious, a republican calling the Dems commies, that's the pot calling the kettle black.

Anyway, this will be interesting to see if Directv makes a point about Comcast's monopolizing Philly sports. It's disgusting that such a blatant monopolization can occur(Philly Sports), basically with blessings, yet Directv and the NFL can be squeezed to stop their's.

Hopefully with Specter being replaced, the days of Comcast's influence will eventually be numbered.
Comcast is a much bigger fish than that...Comcast is aggresively anti satellite....The Philly area residents who are under the Comcast cable monopoly are getting the shaft.....If there ever was a non competitive busines it is the cable industry....

I wish the cable companies could win this one. The NFL packaged is so overpriced compared to the NBA, NHL and other packages. The extensive price increases every year has caused many of us to drop it. Maybe if there was competition D* wouldn't be ripping everyone off so bad for it.

On the other hand I would also want the cable companies to be required to allow access to all, for their exclusive programing, things like the Philly Sports Network and INHD, to mention a few.
Holy cow!!!!!!!!.....If the ST was over priced no one would buy it.....DTV bid the price and won..They are charging the appropriate rate as to the value of the product....As far as value of product is concerned, it is more valuable than the other three sports packages combined.....Should the NFL give it away? No one is ripping anyone off..Wher did you get that?

Holy cow!!!!!!!!.....If the ST was over priced no one would buy it.....DTV bid the price and won..They are charging the appropriate rate as to the value of the product....As far as value of product is concerned, it is more valuable than the other three sports packages combined.....Should the NFL give it away? No one is ripping anyone off..Wher did you get that?

A few years ago when the NFL package was available on C-Band as well as D*, I was paying something like $129 or $139, for it. Now that D* has monopolized it, the cost for the entire package is over $300. A big price jump in a few years. That is my reason for saying it is an overpriced rip off, compared to the other sports packages. That is my reason and as well as many others for dropping it.

I am not saying they should give it away, just make compatable with the other sports packages and charge a reasonable price for it.

A few years ago when the NFL package was available on C-Band as well as D*, I was paying something like $129 or $139, for it. Now that D* has monopolized it, the cost for the entire package is over $300. A big price jump in a few years. That is my reason for saying it is an overpriced rip off, compared to the other sports packages. That is my reason and as well as many others for dropping it.

I am not saying they should give it away, just make compatable with the other sports packages and charge a reasonable price for it.
That was before the last contract was signed..The cost to DTV is driving the price....
If you think it is overpriced, don't buy it..That is your choice as a consumer...If you don't subscribe, guess what, you don't have to worry about it...

I'm among those who dropped, partly due to the cost. The bigger part is that I've got other things to do and can't justify the expense unless my ass is parked in front of the tv watching at least a couple of games, most weeks.

I'd rather see a PPV format: buy selected out-of-market games ala-carte. At something like $7.99/game, I'd definitely buy games. But, that's not the format and it's unlikely to go that way anytime soon.

Regardless, Congress does not belong in this issue.

I'd rather see a PPV format: buy selected out-of-market games ala-carte. At something like $7.99/game, I'd definitely buy games. But, that's not the format and it's unlikely to go that way anytime soon.

I have seen a PPV choice, in past years once the game has started, but that is overpriced just like the entire package is. I think it was something like $39.00 per game. Haven't checked to see if it is being offered by the game, this year. I also might purchase individual games if it were reasonably priced.

Frivoulous issue # 234157

NFL Ticket "monopoly"? - NOT.

1) It isn't one (I can also get 3-5 games each week without it - but also have NFL ST).

2) If this is a monopoly, OK, stand in line behind about 1000 others ahead of it in line (want to talk about the near-price-fixing in the gasoline industry?)

3) Some folks will not be happy without getting everything free - free broadcasts, free equipment, free service, free installations.....of course, that means no one gets paid. Maybe if anyone volunteers to work for free, they deserve all this stuff for free....like that's gonna happen...

4) This is just another whiney "poor me" issue. Get over it.

NFL Ticket "monopoly"? - NOT..
Not according to Mr. Webster. I don't know of any other place to purchase ST, except through D*. which gives sole control of distribution of ST to D*.
Some folks will not be happy without getting everything free - free broadcasts, free equipment, free service, free installations.....of course, that means no one gets paid. Maybe if anyone volunteers to work for free, they deserve all this stuff for free....like that's gonna happen...
No one is asking for it for free. Just at a reasonable price. Some people are on fixed incomes and an increase of over 100% in a few years is a bit to much. Cost of living increases are expected, but their increase has been way over that. I wish my income would have increased at the rate they increased the ST package.

Not according to Mr. Webster. I don't know of any other place to purchase ST, except through D*. which gives sole control of distribution of ST to D*. .
Not so....they may have an exclusive to all the broadcasts together, but my point was that you can get some of the games via the major networks - meaning the deal is not exclusive in the marketplace.
No one is asking for it for free. Just at a reasonable price. Some people are on fixed incomes and an increase of over 100% in a few years is a bit to much. Cost of living increases are expected, but their increase has been way over that. I wish my income would have increased at the rate they increased the ST package.
I respect that...but to get all NFL games for all markets, it costs alot of money to deliver it as well, and its amazing how many folks try to get that package for free - you ight be surprised to learn that D*TV actually tracks those requests...and its a big number of poeple who ask for free NFL ST.

Movie Theater prices, Theme Parks, and many other media offerings are also highly inflated in cost. I'd love to drive a Bentley, but its not going to happen. Such is life.

This year the price for autorenew of NFLST was $209, and increase of about 50% over a "few years ago". If you get into your time machine what has been the increase in cost for other items - medicines, gas, cars, homes??? 5-10% a year for NFLST, certainly not welcome, but no where near unreasonable.

Also the superfan package (HD feeds) were not available a few years ago like they are today. This certainly adds to the cost but again this is an add-on to the basic package and add-ons cost money.

This year the price for autorenew of NFLST was $209, and increase of about 50% over a "few years ago". If you get into your time machine what has been the increase in cost for other items - medicines, gas, cars, homes??? 5-10% a year for NFLST, certainly not welcome, but no where near unreasonable.

Also the superfan package (HD feeds) were not available a few years ago like they are today. This certainly adds to the cost but again this is an add-on to the basic package and add-ons cost money.

A few years ago when I had the package it was advertised for $129 or $139 a year. Today D* advertised price for this year was $229 Plus $99 for the Super Fan package. What D* had done is removed some of the things that were previously in the entire package, put them into the Super Package and added a few more features, and tagged another $99 to ST. Things like the HD games were included in the entire package before, now you have to pay extra to get them.

"few" usually means about 3 and I have had NFL ST since its first season back on BUD and have had it non-stop even through the transition from BUD to DBS, and about 3 years ago (2003 season) it surely wasn't $129

NFL Ticket "monopoly"? - NOT.

1) It isn't one (I can also get 3-5 games each week without it - but also have NFL ST).

2) If this is a monopoly, OK, stand in line behind about 1000 others ahead of it in line (want to talk about the near-price-fixing in the gasoline industry?)

3) Some folks will not be happy without getting everything free - free broadcasts, free equipment, free service, free installations.....of course, that means no one gets paid. Maybe if anyone volunteers to work for free, they deserve all this stuff for free....like that's gonna happen...

4) This is just another whiney "poor me" issue. Get over it.

That is so prevalent in this business today..A small percentage of people just have got get their cake and frosting..AND they want it for nothing..I hqave ahd to draw the line in the sand on serval occasions wiht customers who want service but do no want to compensate the person(me) providing that service..I realize this is off topic fro the narrow focus of the ST..But the experiences I've had with this small but annoying amountof customers is enough to make me just put my fooot down and say NO,I will not do this for free..
Now back on track..I am Dish cust but if was a DTV cust I would but the ST..IMO it is without a doubt THE BEST value in sports programming...

You know what's funny is the government has these stringent out of market laws on local channels, to the point where they've revoked distant network access completely, but they think that the government should tell the NFL (a privately owned business) how to distribute thier products. That's equivilent of the government telling Sears that they MUST make kenmore and craftsman brands available to Wal-mart or home depot. If you want a Kenmore fridge you have to buy one at sears, same if you want out of market NFL games you must buy them from d*.

You know what's funny is the government has these stringent out of market laws on local channels, to the point where they've revoked distant network access completely, but they think that the government should tell the NFL (a privately owned business) how to distribute thier products. That's equivilent of the government telling Sears that they MUST make kenmore and craftsman brands available to Wal-mart or home depot. If you want a Kenmore fridge you have to buy one at sears, same if you want out of market NFL games you must buy them from d*.
This is a whiners thread...The ones who are complaining don't want D*...So they pee pee all overthmselves about the availabilty of the ST on other carriers..sorry,Charlie..If you want the ST, get D*.....Final answer, Regis...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)