Send Directv an E-mail ASKING for VoOm

Status
Please reply by conversation.
judybob said:
Hi
I went on Directv web site to the Contact them link
sent them a e-mail asking them to add Voom Channels.
they sent me an email back saying that if a lot of sub wanted Voom
they would consider adding Voom
We had Voom before Direct
we miss a lot of voom's channels
bob
They probably will never get it. Dishnetwork owns part of Voom Originals now and is the excusive distributor of the channels. Their maybe a must carry law, but I think that only applies to networks. That is why Inhd1 & 2 are only on cable. I had Voom and just went to Dish. Voom looks much better on DIsh than it did on Voom; less compression.

Hogarth said:
Guys, it won't do any good.

EchoStar added Voom because they already had LNBs pointing at the old Voom satellite's orbital slot. It was a complete no-brainer. All they had to do was change the encryption methods from Voom's to Dish Network's. Why they aren't offering all 21 channels today is beyond me.

DirecTV would need to literally perform new uplink of 10+ MPEG2 HD channels.

With their focus on LiL, I don't see this happening.

DirecTV would also not do something that followed EchoStar's strategy.
They are trying to differentiate the service, not look like a clone of something that, to the average consumer, seems much more inexpensive.

Do me a favor, gunn. Don't speak for me again, please.

This will not be happening, guys.
They will be offering all 21 by Jan 1, 2006. They are rolling them out a little at a time, that was just announced yesterday. They will switch to MPEG4 whenn they are all out and move from 61.5. The first 411 mpeg4 Dish receivers will hit the market this fall. I am a former V* customer an now with Dish. I only have the HD Pack and VOOM channels with Dish and have the rest with Cox Cable whic has all the premiums (except TMC), Inhd1 & 2, Universal HD. I am getting almost every HD channel available. When Dish adds Cinemax, Starz and Universal later this year I will dump Cox and be solely with Dish unless Direct comes up with something better. But I right now I really like the HD transmittion rate of Dish and will find it hard to settle for less. Also, Since Dish is a part owner of the Voom 21 Originals and the exclusive distributor of these channels I wonder what this means to the market...

drbill28 said:
All the providers already have all the HD programming that deserves to be on TV. TNTHD doesn't have anything worthwhile on it. Universal HD same. The only ones worth watching are ESPN-HD, InHD, HDNet, and Discovery HD. I don't want channels that are just there to provide HD content. I knew 2 people with Voom, only HD News was I interested in watching. I can live without that for a while. They need to start where there is the most want and need to programming. Most people want their locals in HD but can't get them OTA. We're 6 miles from Pittsburgh and can't even get them here. Although I rarely watch broadcast TV anymore. I still want it over any other HD channels that exist. We do have waivers for FOX and CBS. Otherwise it's just as good as QVC in HD right now.

Plus for what has been said we'll be seeing some national channels as well. So perk up chap.

Everyone is intitiled to their opinion....but mine is that Directv has been short changing all of their subs by not providing TNTHD in their HD pack. There are some people who would like to watch the 40 something B Ball playoff games in HD that they have on...or at least be given the choice to watch them. I dont like B Ball but I did like to catch their movies on the weekend. People will vote with their wallet ....so
i feel Direct will respond...thats why Im sticking around for a while. I am very happy with YESHD but not everyone gets a chance to watch that ch. Also, its not in their HD Pack.

Not to mention upcoming NASCAR on TNT at the miday point. All of the broadcast on FOX has been in HD. NBC has said all there NASCAR events will be in HD so I'm sure TNT would follow suit, but will us D* viewers see it????
Hell No!

Ncc1701 said:
Why bother writing them. I just voted with my wallet. I'm Selling the HD Tivo and leasing a 942.
Really?!?! That is great, perhaps I'll go trade my 2005 BMW 535 in for that 77 Pinto I have been looking at!

While I don't want to discount the value of voting with your wallet, I am surprised, the above comparison seems to list the feelings I have read of folks who have done this.

slacker9876 said:
Really?!?! That is great, perhaps I'll go trade my 2005 BMW 535 in for that 77 Pinto I have been looking at!

While I don't want to discount the value of voting with your wallet, I am surprised, the above comparison seems to list the feelings I have read of folks who have done this.

As much as I'd like to see more HD content on D*, I agree w/ slacker. There is no way I'd settle for buggy E* hardware or the issues that go along with their gear.

And Slacker, if you really wanna dump the bimmer, I'll work out a deal for ya! :p

LOL, wish I had the BMW ... I actually just dumped my 2000 VW Passat with 105K Miles in favor of a 93 Saturn SL2 with 95K miles. My tranny was leaking ... not a big deal, other than the fact that they are sealed!!! How I do miss the performance but I'll not be missing forking over all my poker wins for maintenance on my car. There is something to be said for owning the titles and not making payment that i had once forgotten!

On the thread, nothing beats an HD TiVo. It was worth every penny of my ending cost of $625 (I think) and my wife would kill me if I ever tried to get rid of it. It works, it works well and I have been lucky enough not to have the same issues some others did (HDMI). I actually tried E* a few years back when the price was right and they offered me a PVR-501. I soon learned that hardware is 50% of the value in service and that having a "real" customer retention department is nice.

It was announce yesterday in the press confence, that Dish owns a small part of Voom now.

Direct TV would NOT sign up with Voom as they would be supporting dish.

Instead, the rumor I hear is that the owners of FOX and Direct TV plan there own Voom like HD package by Xmas with all the Fox content.

So NO VOOM on direct TV ever.

The only thing I know is I want is a firm answer from Directv on what there plans are besides there claim to fame 1500 local channels that we cant use except maybe 6 - 10 in each local which I already have, before they start the upgrade and lock me into another year commitment. I have dealt with both Dish and Directv and I will goto the one that gives me the most value for my money. and no matter what at least Dish has a plan to add channels everyone can watch not just a few local channels.

I just called D* tonight to see what they would offer to retain me as a customer (my contract was up in January). They made me a decent offer, but no promises regarding equipment upgrades. They told me that the HDDirectv DVR's would be rolled out this summer, and said I should hold off on any installs until the first week of June. They noted on my account the retention offer, and said they could hold it for a month.

They told me the HD locals would all be rolled out by end of year, but the plan to get more HD National channels would not be aggressively pursued until 2006. I did appreciate the honesty when they told me I should wait before entering into another 1 year commitment.

I was told the HD Tivo's are being reduced by up to $300 this summer, but why buy one if the MPEG4 Hd Dvr's are available.

In the meantime, I think I will keep my D* SD service, and Comcast for HD and HD DVR services. The HD offering of Dish is enticing though.

In regards to any upgrade offers, I was told there would be a no money, to little money down offer, but nothing could be guaranteed as of this time.

You'll know before the upgrade, they plan to make an announcement, in I believe June. Am I correct?

Since most of the posts here are in a selfish theme, I'll add another.

I don't care if D* ever gets VOOM channels. I'd prefer they didn't waste their bandwidth on them. Rather D* add starzHD, CinemaxHD, TMC, PlayboyHD/spice.

Plus I don't care for all the LIL in HD either. IMO, that is a real waste of bandwidth, putting up all that redundant programming just to protect a very small number of advertisers at the local level. The industry would be better served with national network channels on a conus nationwide coverage, Afterall, most watch the locals for those national network programs, not to see some local 30 second spot for a restaurant on your street.

As long as VOOM is available for those who want it, that is all that matters to me. If you want VOOM 21 it is available so stop complaining and go buy it from E*-10 now the rest in a few months!

What I want are the HD channels that are available nowhere now that VOOM died. I don't care if those HD channels are made available on E* or D*, I will sub to them. I feel you should and could do the same.

That's my selfish post for the week!

PS- as for the hardware- the 921, I have works good enough to keep using but basically it is no match for the reliability and dependability as well as the feature set of the HDTIVO I have. Anyone who thinks otherwise is completely ignorant of the two. The 942 is a bit better than the 921 in reliability according to some but still suffers features limitations that the HDTIVO has plus it also suffers bugs and limitations already exceeding all the bugs that the TIVO has had in it's history. Face it, The E* hardware is just not that good!

Don Landis said:
I don't care if D* ever gets VOOM channels. I'd prefer they didn't waste their bandwidth on them. Rather D* add starzHD, CinemaxHD, TMC, PlayboyHD/spice.

Plus I don't care for all the LIL in HD either. IMO, that is a real waste of bandwidth, putting up all that redundant programming just to protect a very small number of advertisers at the local level. The industry would be better served with national network channels on a conus nationwide coverage, Afterall, most watch the locals for those national network programs, not to see some local 30 second spot for a restaurant on your street.

I hear what you are saying...but adding StarzHD, CinemaxHD , TMCHD and PalyboyHD isnt going to help with their HD pack. Which I think we all can agree needs help in a hurry. The VOOM ch's arent the best but their are a couple of ch's that I really miss...and I really miss scanning all the HD to look for something to watch. Even if I didnt find anything.
I agree with the LIL...its a waste. But thats only because I can receive my locals OTA in HD.

mmm i think someone is being over happy, the MPEG4 HD dvr's will not be out until next year, properbly by end of 2006 :rolleyes:

skakusha said:
I just called D* tonight to see what they would offer to retain me as a customer (my contract was up in January). They made me a decent offer, but no promises regarding equipment upgrades. They told me that the HDDirectv DVR's would be rolled out this summer, and said I should hold off on any installs until the first week of June. They noted on my account the retention offer, and said they could hold it for a month.

They told me the HD locals would all be rolled out by end of year, but the plan to get more HD National channels would not be aggressively pursued until 2006. I did appreciate the honesty when they told me I should wait before entering into another 1 year commitment.

I was told the HD Tivo's are being reduced by up to $300 this summer, but why buy one if the MPEG4 Hd Dvr's are available.

In the meantime, I think I will keep my D* SD service, and Comcast for HD and HD DVR services. The HD offering of Dish is enticing though.

In regards to any upgrade offers, I was told there would be a no money, to little money down offer, but nothing could be guaranteed as of this time.

hdtvtechno said:
mmm i think someone is being over happy, the MPEG4 HD dvr's will not be out until next year, properbly by end of 2006 :rolleyes:

As I mentioned, I don't trust the information I get over the phone. I think you have a good point. Perhaps, this is why the CSR mentioned the upcoming price reduction on HD Tivo's. That would make sense.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)