Send Dish a Message

Gonna have to agree with everyone here, $100 isn't asking a lot. HD is still a premium, not a neccessity.

Do you HAVE to have a dish at 61.5 for your TV to get any of DISH's channels? No.

Now if you need a dish at 61.5 to get any of your locals that's a different story, and DISH already does that for free.

Actaully when I had my wing SAT 61.5 install the installer bill was $256 on the Dishnetwork bill.

This means after all the labor and the switches and the dish its $256.

You are only paying $100 dish is picking up the rest.

The installers do get paid for there time and travel. There is also training cost for the installers, heath insurance ect.

These things are not cheap. $100 seems fair to me if it is true dish is picking up the rest.

Intsaller here with his 2 cents

I am an installer and have been for four years now. On the other hand I am also a consumer. This means that when it comes to other stuff (other than installing a satellite dish) I have to pay just like anyone else. The price they have given for the second dish is more than fair. That same equipment could be used in other situations of installation to turn a profit...ie retailer pricing. For some folks, the cost is only less than a third of the msrp when you figure in paying the installer (which id o believe it fair for the installer to get paid...since it is his job!). Consider the 100 dollars a Sam's club price and, heaven forbid if they were to be selling this for what it's really worth, buying the equipment outright is the Walmart cost...so to speak. At SAM's you pay a membership fee to become a member (this is your mo. bill for programing, HD content, ect.). At Walmart there is no member's discount...and heck sometimes you can even go elsewhere and find the stuff cheaper (Ebay). Bottom line is you want more you gotta pay something, right?? When was the last time you went to your car dealership and they gave you a free leather upgrade a year after you bought your car??? When you go to a sporting event, just because you got the most expensive seats doesn't mean you get free beer and nachos from the concession stand does it??? Let's really think about this!!

Iceberg said:
Legacy stuff yes. He was quoting DishPro...those DPP44 ain't cheap :)
True on all counts. I guess my point was I can't imagine its costing dish quantity one retail pricing for the hardware on each install.

Personally I don't think the 100 bucks is too bad of a deal. I might have done it cheaper myself using a DP21 off my 34 but the Voom dish was on my roof and I didn't want to risk falling and breaking my ass. I got a DPP44 in the deal so overall a real good deal. My only problem was the extended install due to Dish giving the installer the wrong Azimuth causing him to try to pick up the wrong satellite for 2 hours. When he finally figured it out, my old 3900 gave up the ghost after multiple check switches. Oh well I guess it's time to replace it anyway.

In prep for a 942, I spent way more than $100... this welfare freebie mentality has got to be stopped. Way to many people want something for nothing or next to it, and its costing us all..

Iceberg said:
sorry but Scott doesn't get paid by Dish (or Direct or anyone) :)

It’s funny how people want a handout all the time.

Lets see…some of these people paid 750 bucks for their equipment without blinking an eye, damn near had a nervous breakdown when Voom went belly up, yet these same people are whining because they have to pay $100 for a 2nd dish.

The only thing I have taken from Dish in 5 years is a free 2nd dish for a must carry local that Dish HAS TO GIVE US. All the other equipment I have had, I paid for
-3000 and a 4000 receiver
-2 301’s to replace the above
-couple more 301’s
-Dish at the lake and a receiver there
-replaced the dish & receiver when the place burned down
-bought a 508 from the DishStore

Am I complaining? Nope. It’s the belly of the beast

My favorite ones are the people who have locals on Superdish and are whining because they need to pay another $100 to see HD…..let’s see people…those DPP44’s are more than $100. You’re getting a hell of a deal.

Do you consider the CSR's to be E*, because they are the ones insisting that former Voom subs need a antenna upgrade when in fact they don't. All I'm asking is that they get their info straight. Is that too much to ask. If it's costing E* so much money, why do they insist on this needless upgrade. It is afterall possible to get an all Legacy install, is it not. Refusing to pay for it, I did the install myself and it works great.

I didn't have a nervous breakdown when Voom went out of business. I was disheartened by all the false advertising that went on to try to entice Voom subs in their direction. Face it, they make their money off the programming, the on going comittment of their subscriptions, selling new equipment to customers that have the existing infrastructure and the fee hikes including the extra $5.00 charge for the Voom channels. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they expanded their HD lineup, But Voom already gave you all that stuff in 2 simple packages.

me

I'd pay $100 to have another dish pointed at 61.5 if I knew the HD stuff would be there permanently (or at least a few years). I'm just afraid that a few months down the road they will move all the HD content to 110/119 and the dish I paid $100 for will be useless.

redline65 said:
I'd pay $100 to have another dish pointed at 61.5 if I knew the HD stuff would be there permanently (or at least a few years). I'm just afraid that a few months down the road they will move all the HD content to 110/119 and the dish I paid $100 for will be useless.
The movement now seems to be putting new HD on the wings (61.5 & 148). 110/119 will be for the masses (AT180 and top market locals).

mdonnelly said:
The movement now seems to be putting new HD on the wings (61.5 & 148). 110/119 will be for the masses (AT180 and top market locals).
Has there been any official information released to support that? If I know that is indeed their plan for the future I'll add a dish for 61.5, but otherwise I'll just wait and see I guess.

Heck why pay Dish for anything? You can stick a big ugly TV ant. on the roof and get HD channels free.

I mean really Dodge, Chevy, and Ford should give me free gas too. Hell I bought a car from them.

redline65 said:
Has there been any official information released to support that? If I know that is indeed their plan for the future I'll add a dish for 61.5, but otherwise I'll just wait and see I guess.
Nope, not official.

drod said:
If you have the 811 leased in a new install your not paying anything extra. If you want the 921/942 yeah your going to fork out a pretty penny, but if you see the roi in it then Charlie isn't going to your mind. 61.5 has been mentioned will be the main bird for HD prog so 100$ is to allow the capability of getting most if not all future HD channels that E* comes out with.

Does this mean that down the road.....people that are now subscribing to the HD pack will be given the new 61.5 dishes for free....even if we don't subscribe to the Voom channels? It's either that or they say they can't give us the HD pack unless we buy a dish.

I will work for free today

I think everything should be free then dish can go the way of voom!!! Making money isn't a dirty word!!! Maybe all the people that want a free dish can go to work tomorrow and tell their boss "hey i will work for free today" If you don't want it or cant afford it don't get it but don't think everyone owes you something!!! OK my rant is over!!!! :eek:

I have had my HDTV for a long time waiting for someone to finally offer me the chance to use it's full potential. I do have HD now with E* and paying the $10 for it and getting little from a questionable receiver (811). But for that money everybody already paying for HD should be getting the HD Voom channels. Charlie should be passing the extra charge to new subscribers and give long time customers a god damn break. Plus I really don't want to install another antenna to my building for just ten additional HD channels. Charlie! Give us a break man...Give us what we've been waiting and praying for you to finally deliver and kept us waiting for so long cause you got lost while we kept on paying and praying.

Eqpt!
Toshiba 57HDX82 (DVI connected to 811)
811 Receiver
522 DVR (Really hate paying the 5 buck every month)
PS2
Toshiba (2), Panasonic, Sony DVD Players
Panasonic 28 & 36 inch...
Pioneer 522 5.1 Receiver
Quest Sub and Surround speakers

I got a HDTV about a year ago anticipating using Voom for service. After a 3 week wait for installation, a so called installer walks out in my back yard and declares there are no way for me to get Voom due to trees.
I call back Voom for another installer, they blew me of 3 times over a 6 week period, all no shows. I called and begged them to send me the equipment for a self install, the denied.
When i saw Dishnetwork offering 15 HD channels, i spend a few bucks on Ebay for a receiver, 2 dishes and a switch.
After the installation, I call Dishnetwork for an activation, within 10 minutes I have 15 HD channels for $ 19.95 a month.
Yes I will be happy to send them a message: Thank you Dishnetwork!!

S8

Stats8 said:
I got a HDTV about a year ago anticipating using Voom for service. After a 3 week wait for installation, a so called installer walks out in my back yard and declares there are no way for me to get Voom due to trees.
I call back Voom for another installer, they blew me of 3 times over a 6 week period, all no shows. I called and begged them to send me the equipment for a self install, the denied.
When i saw Dishnetwork offering 15 HD channels, i spend a few bucks on Ebay for a receiver, 2 dishes and a switch.
After the installation, I call Dishnetwork for an activation, within 10 minutes I have 15 HD channels for $ 19.95 a month.
Yes I will be happy to send them a message: Thank you Dishnetwork!!

S8

Glad it worked out for you :)

Thats why in some cases self install is better :D

plumfam4 said:
I think everything should be free then dish can go the way of voom!!! Making money isn't a dirty word!!! Maybe all the people that want a free dish can go to work tomorrow and tell their boss "hey i will work for free today" If you don't want it or cant afford it don't get it but don't think everyone owes you something!!! OK my rant is over!!!! :eek:

$100 for the 2nd Dish is a reasonable price considering what you get. $15 for 15 HD channels isn't bad either. I am not professing I want everything for free. What I want is a clear understanding on the direction of E* and their HD and what my costs will likely be in the end. I will pay if I deem the service fits my needs for a reasonable price. The Voom 10 announcement was deceptive and raises a red flag.

What I don't want is to keep spending money down the road as Charley adds/deletes things, often in a knee jerk reaction.

What is the plan for replacing receivers? Do those of us who bought our equipement before DHP was ever conceived have to rebuy everything? Do we get a break for being long time customers? Do we get screwed and have to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars if you have DVR's or multiple receivers? Will E* give us credit for the Mpeg-2 receivers?

What is E*'s plan on settling where the HD channels will reside? Will they stay mirrored on the wings? (Which seems very expensive and inefficient for E* since HD takes more band width) Will they be moved to 110/119? Will there be more satellites added? Will we need still another dish?

Are there enough HD subscribers in the 10 million overall E* subscribers to make E*'s HD investment sustaining or will there be another general increase down the road?

Will there be another increase when more HD channels are added?

Try getting this info from a CSR, CSR Supervisor, Charley or anyone associated with E*.

So until I can get some answers, I'm not going to blindly spend money every time Charley gets an itch. I will patiently wait to see where it all ends up and what the cost will really be. I have already cut my E* bill virtually in half getting rid of the HD Package and Mulitpack, both of which were so repeatative we just didn't watch it anymore. Those who don't get OTA digital/HD are stuck and have to pay. Those of us who get OTA digital/HD are in a better position and can wait.

Harry said:
$100 for the 2nd Dish is a reasonable price considering what you get. $15 for 15 HD channels isn't bad either. I am not professing I want everything for free. What I want is a clear understanding on the direction of E* and their HD and what my costs will likely be in the end. I will pay if I deem the service fits my needs for a reasonable price. The Voom 10 announcement was deceptive and raises a red flag.

What I don't want is to keep spending money down the road as Charley adds/deletes things, often in a knee jerk reaction.

What is the plan for replacing receivers? Do those of us who bought our equipement before DHP was ever conceived have to rebuy everything? Do we get a break for being long time customers? Do we get screwed and have to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars if you have DVR's or multiple receivers? Will E* give us credit for the Mpeg-2 receivers?

What is E*'s plan on settling where the HD channels will reside? Will they stay mirrored on the wings? (Which seems very expensive and inefficient for E* since HD takes more band width) Will they be moved to 110/119? Will there be more satellites added? Will we need still another dish?

Are there enough HD subscribers in the 10 million overall E* subscribers to make E*'s HD investment sustaining or will there be another general increase down the road?

Will there be another increase when more HD channels are added?

Try getting this info from a CSR, CSR Supervisor, Charley or anyone associated with E*.

So until I can get some answers, I'm not going to blindly spend money every time Charley gets an itch. I will patiently wait to see where it all ends up and what the cost will really be. I have already cut my E* bill virtually in half getting rid of the HD Package and Mulitpack, both of which were so repeatative we just didn't watch it anymore. Those who don't get OTA digital/HD are stuck and have to pay. Those of us who get OTA digital/HD are in a better position and can wait.
Well put. $100 for installation and $5 more per month is reasonable...unless 6 months from now they move the Voom channels to another satellite. So let see, ($100 + $30) / 6 months = $21.67 per month. Hmmm... I think I'll wait. ;)

St. Charles, Mo. - infoZine - Satellite television provider EchoStar Communications - which does business as Dish Network - will pay a civil penalty of $50,000 for telemarketing calls made to Missourians on the state's No Call list in an agreement reached with Attorney General Jay Nixon. Dish Network is the nation's second-largest satellite television company.

Guess who is paying this one? :yikes